Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: multicam setup - gambled...and won!  (Read 3244 times)

Offline krsb

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
multicam setup - gambled...and won!
« on: March 29, 2011, 05:30:37 PM »
Not very organized this past weekend, so tried to cover all the bases...went with one static main cam as insurance, one cam following the action on stage, I was on stage with one cam and the gamble: I installed my helmet cam from the winter ski season on a lightstand behind the drummer.(it's a Drift HD170)

Sound was soundboard + Neumanns --> Tascam DR 680

Edit was done over the weekend on FCP

http://www.vimeo.com/album/1563379

Group is a local reggae band here in France called: Green Valley Vibes. They are open to taping, but not so hot on trading...yet, working on it!

Comments are welcome and apologies in advance:  I didn't know whether to post this message  here or in kickdown, but as it is streaming, not download...I figure this was the better location. If not, please let me know.
cb
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 05:34:24 PM by krsb »
Busman BCS1, Busman BSCS-L, DPA 4023, Neumann KM 184, KM 183
Lunatec V3, Naiant Midbox
Oade ACM Marantz PMD 661, Sony D50, Tascam DR680
+ lotsa darktrain cables :-)

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: multicam setup - gambled...and won!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 07:44:33 PM »
Very nicely done! I like almost everything about this! The one thing I don't is that some of the camera angles seem less sharp than others. Otherwise this seems like it could be very close to a professional quality production. I think the audio sounds excellent.

Offline krsb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 01:08:53 AM »
Good point, it's true. The cam that was setup at the lighting desk, behind the soundboard wasn't as good quality as the other two and it shows. Also, I zoomed in slightly on the framing on that cam which makes things even worse. It's a trick I do often when I am editing in HD but I know the output will be in SD, only this time I forgot the output was going to be HD....oops!

It makes such a difference during the edit having a few sources, I think three cams is my new minimum to get decent results...

BTW a friend ran a 24 track recording off the soundboard, I'll try to get my hands on that and maybe re-edit one song to that audio, spending a little more time on it.

Thanks for the feedback.
cb

Very nicely done! I like almost everything about this! The one thing I don't is that some of the camera angles seem less sharp than others. Otherwise this seems like it could be very close to a professional quality production. I think the audio sounds excellent.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:00:07 AM »
Interesting. I tried to use my helmet cam (GoPro HD) for a in-store appearance a few weeks ago...not so hot. I think it was a lighting issue. Plenty of light, but it was weird light. Pretty sure the Go Pro is designed for outside use, and therefore is set up for "outside light"

I'll give it a go again sometime. It's the only camera I've got that shoots video, and it was certainly better than nothing.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline krsb

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 04:18:43 PM »

Check the menu settings and see if you can manually adjust the white balance, that would help.

The Drift is a bit bigger than the GoPro, but one of the advantages is that it has a small LCD screen. Not great for filming, as it is on the side, but great for setting up the shot.

Cb

Interesting. I tried to use my helmet cam (GoPro HD) for a in-store appearance a few weeks ago...not so hot. I think it was a lighting issue. Plenty of light, but it was weird light. Pretty sure the Go Pro is designed for outside use, and therefore is set up for "outside light"

I'll give it a go again sometime. It's the only camera I've got that shoots video, and it was certainly better than nothing.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com