Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Flash Media stable for 24/96?  (Read 6759 times)

Offline dointhatrag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • my band
Flash Media stable for 24/96?
« on: March 11, 2007, 10:05:46 PM »
I say NO!

I have had to many occurrences now with digital static when recording 24/96. It always seems to happen twards then end when the flash media is getting over 50% full.

this has happened on different OEM flash cards, and on both Microtrac and 722, but it never  happens with the harddrive on the 722.

is anyone using flash having any REAL success at 24/96?

Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
Re: Flash Media stable for 24/96?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 10:21:35 PM »
I've been recording at 24/96 onto my 8 gig PQI CF card, with zero problems.  this is based on many, many shows, I got the 8 gig CF card in July '06 and have been recording 24/96 ever since.  and I routinely fill up ~6.5 gigs of the 8 gig card, so that's over 80% full.  this is all in my tascam HD-P2

Offline dointhatrag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • my band
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 03:29:37 PM »
OK guys I believe you,

Now tell me what is the best flash media out there?

PNY is junk !!

Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 05:35:14 PM »
i just ordered a kingston pro elite 8GB for 24/96...i have the same brand in a 4GB and that worked fine so i'm sticking with what i know...i saw some better deals on generic brand cards but i had trouble with a PQI 4GB card doing 24/96 so i'm not taking any chances, it's worth a few extra $$ for peace of mind and reliable media.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline midside

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 06:53:43 PM »
i just ordered a kingston pro elite 8GB for 24/96...i have the same brand in a 4GB and that worked fine so i'm sticking with what i know...i saw some better deals on generic brand cards but i had trouble with a PQI 4GB card doing 24/96 so i'm not taking any chances, it's worth a few extra $$ for peace of mind and reliable media.

I had the 4gb card and got errors.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 07:36:28 PM »
Sandisk makes great CF cards as well.  hard to go wrong with a Sandisk Ultra II.

Offline CQBert

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sunset in Zilker Park
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 08:50:22 PM »
I have run my Sandisk 4gig cards in my old 722, HD-P2, R1(24/48), and now my 702...  never had a problem...

In fact - the HD-P2 has a cool feature on it that will actually test the card that is installed for its capabilities and tell you if you can run 24 /  ? ?  ? ?  or not.  My Sandisk's were ok all the way to 24/192.

I am waiting for the 16gig to come down this summer/fall and then make that move.

CQBert
Sennheiser MKH 8040 (Matched) > Sound Devices 702

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 10:17:15 PM »
It was the one with the picture of the Chameleon on it.
There's nothing wrong with my recorder (SD-744)...works fine.
I really need an 8GB card that will handle 4 tracks of 24/96.
So, I sold these 2 cards to a friend with a PMD-670 and her recorder wouldn't even fire up.
It said card full...even after a complete format through windows.
What's the chance that both cards...2 out of 2 would be bad?

Offline midside

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 10:58:45 PM »
Thanks, I just filled out their customer support form online...I'll see what happens...

Offline batchain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 03:17:49 PM »
what kind of kingston were you using?  the slower ones (<45x) are not fast enough to keep up with 96 kHz. 

if you were using a 45x or greater, then there is a problem with the deck or that particular card. 

kingston is one of the top brands available and they honor a lifetime warranty on the media so contact them for a free swap if it's one of the faster cards.  if it's a slower one, upgrade to a 4x or stick to 24/48 with the one you have.

one thing about the newer "ultra" cards is that they're actually too fast for us.  they write data in burst modes instead of continuously like the slower cards.  burst mode has the strong possibility of introducing errors. 

trust me guys, if your deck accepts them, use kingston elite pro cards, 45x.  they are rock solid up to 24/96.

Kingston is truly first rate. I had a 45x card that started to repeatedly give me corrupt file errors, so I contacted Kingston by phone. They had a replacement card to me in 2 days. Not only did I not have to pay postage on the new one, but they gave me the return postage via FedEx for the old card as well. You can't beat that for service!
Primary: Peluso CEMC6/CK-4/CK-21 > Fostex FR2-LE or Tascam DR-680
Secondary: Edirol R09-HR

Offline batchain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
what kind of kingston were you using?  the slower ones (<45x) are not fast enough to keep up with 96 kHz. 

if you were using a 45x or greater, then there is a problem with the deck or that particular card. 

kingston is one of the top brands available and they honor a lifetime warranty on the media so contact them for a free swap if it's one of the faster cards.  if it's a slower one, upgrade to a 4x or stick to 24/48 with the one you have.

one thing about the newer "ultra" cards is that they're actually too fast for us.  they write data in burst modes instead of continuously like the slower cards.  burst mode has the strong possibility of introducing errors. 

trust me guys, if your deck accepts them, use kingston elite pro cards, 45x.  they are rock solid up to 24/96.

Kingston is truly first rate. I had a 45x card that started to repeatedly give me corrupt file errors, so I contacted Kingston by phone. They had a replacement card to me in 2 days. Not only did I not have to pay postage on the new one, but they gave me the return postage via FedEx for the old card as well. You can't beat that for service!

An update on this story. I heard back from Kingston that the 45x 4GB card I sent back as defective was a COUNTERFEIT. My only recourse is to track down the dealer I got it from and get a refund. It's likely this was a eBay purchase so BEWARE. Purchase flash cards ONLY from reputable dealers.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 10:22:49 PM »
An update on this story. I heard back from Kingston that the 45x 4GB card I sent back as defective was a COUNTERFEIT. My only recourse is to track down the dealer I got it from and get a refund. It's likely this was a eBay purchase so BEWARE. Purchase flash cards ONLY from reputable dealers.

Did you have to send back the replacement card?  Or pay for it and keep it?  Or...nothing at all?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline batchain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 10:43:29 PM »

Did you have to send back the replacement card?  Or pay for it and keep it?  Or...nothing at all?

I could pay them $65 for it or send it back postage paid by Kingston. I sent it back as I found an 8GB Kingston card from Adorama for $60 after rebate. http://www.adorama.com/KGCF8GE.html?sid=11768640852364427

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com