Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pres for iRiver?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline divamum

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Pres for iRiver?
« on: January 10, 2005, 06:25:12 PM »
Hi -

Just looking for suggestions of small very portable pre's to use with the iRiver and AT831 binaurals (1/8 mini for plug in power). 

A pre + A>D may be preferable because I MAY in time go to a different recorder (either laptop or PDAudio) but for the time being I want something to work with the existing setup.

Main requirement is SMALL... and ideally I'd prefer not to have to carry any more gear (ie if hte pre can supply the mic power, that would be GREAT).

I've been looking at the AD20 and the core 2496, but I gather there are problems with both to make them work with my existing gear... and I don't entirely understand the whys and wherefores on that.   Also, what would they SOUND like? What's going to give me the most "naturalistic" sound with this setup?

I'm a classical singer, by the way... and also pretty much a recording n00b so if there are any tech things which affect my choice (eg jumpers, mods, power requirements, cabling abbreviations) assume I know nothing and explain in idiot terms!! ;)

Thanks!
DPA4060
R09

Offline surf1div1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Pres for iRiver?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 08:21:38 PM »
Stay away from PD-Audio and the Mic 2496 ADC- mine has had nothing but problems.
Hi -

Just looking for suggestions of small very portable pre's to use with the iRiver and AT831 binaurals (1/8 mini for plug in power). 

A pre + A>D may be preferable because I MAY in time go to a different recorder (either laptop or PDAudio) but for the time being I want something to work with the existing setup.

Main requirement is SMALL... and ideally I'd prefer not to have to carry any more gear (ie if hte pre can supply the mic power, that would be GREAT).

I've been looking at the AD20 and the core 2496, but I gather there are problems with both to make them work with my existing gear... and I don't entirely understand the whys and wherefores on that.   Also, what would they SOUND like? What's going to give me the most "naturalistic" sound with this setup?

I'm a classical singer, by the way... and also pretty much a recording n00b so if there are any tech things which affect my choice (eg jumpers, mods, power requirements, cabling abbreviations) assume I know nothing and explain in idiot terms!! ;)

Thanks!
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline jkoch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:20:36 PM »
Hi -

Thanks!
are your AT831s phantom powered or the model sold by the sound professionals that terminate in a 1/8" mini plug. if they end in a mini plug you can't use another preamp/adc in there b/c you'll fry the mics. get a battery box from the sound pros for about $60 new. that will power the mics and get them up to line level. then use the pre/adc built into the iriver. if the mics are the phantom powered variety a ps2 power supply and an ad20 should work. problem there may be that the ad20 has optical out. the optical in on the ihp-120 is shakey at best at the moment (rockbox is working on it), so you may want to avoid that route.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline rsimms3

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 09:10:31 PM »
Yes, optical input has not been enabled under Rockbox and no one is actively working on it AFAIK, there is work on other recording features such as Automatic Gain Control to prevent clipping.  Optical input does work under the regular iRiver firmware but there is the issue of dropped samples.  Some have had success in doing a work around where you keep the hard drive engaged all the time by wedging a piece of paper or something in the joystick.  The iRiver does supply line-in power but it isn't enough for the AT831s.  It does work for DPA 4061s, but I wonder if it really is enough power.  I have heard that it will provide 3v of power, but I have not seen anything conclusive.  I ran DPA 4061s > H120 a while back and it turned out pretty good, but have only done it once so I don't know how it sounds in more than one situation. 
FOR SALE - Check HERE

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com