Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ADAT feed to PC  (Read 1602 times)

Offline cyfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
ADAT feed to PC
« on: August 15, 2006, 03:25:21 PM »
Not sure exactly which forum to post this question, but I'm sure Skalinder will move it if I wanked it.

I have an 8-track digital hard drive mixer/recorder that I'm using for multi-track recording. Sometimes I'll just master it on the unit and record via spdif optical to a JB3 (which means mixing on the fly). Then I go JB3 > PC to do additional work, fades, tracking to the two-channel mixdown.

But in some cases I've transferred all 8 channels, two at a time (one right/one left) to the JB3, making four recordings that I then transfer to the PC, break into the original 8 channels, synch and mix in Cool Edit Pro. This is onerous, obviously, but at least the channels synched perfectly once I get the start point of each in line.

This 8-track recorder has spdif optical and coax outputs, but I can transfer the signal out as an ADAT signal instead of spdif. Having no experience with ADAT, I'm wondering if there is a way to transfer all eight channels onto my PC at one time for mastering in CEP multi-track.

Basically I guess I'm asking how ADAT owners transfer their files to a PC (maintaining the integrity of each individual channel).

Tim
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: ADAT feed to PC
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 03:34:34 PM »
Not sure exactly which forum to post this question, but I'm sure Skalinder will move it if I wanked it.

I have an 8-track digital hard drive mixer/recorder that I'm using for multi-track recording. Sometimes I'll just master it on the unit and record via spdif optical to a JB3 (which means mixing on the fly). Then I go JB3 > PC to do additional work, fades, tracking to the two-channel mixdown.

But in some cases I've transferred all 8 channels, two at a time (one right/one left) to the JB3, making four recordings that I then transfer to the PC, break into the original 8 channels, synch and mix in Cool Edit Pro. This is onerous, obviously, but at least the channels synched perfectly once I get the start point of each in line.

This 8-track recorder has spdif optical and coax outputs, but I can transfer the signal out as an ADAT signal instead of spdif. Having no experience with ADAT, I'm wondering if there is a way to transfer all eight channels onto my PC at one time for mastering in CEP multi-track.

Basically I guess I'm asking how ADAT owners transfer their files to a PC (maintaining the integrity of each individual channel).

Tim

If your SPDIF optical also provides ADAT support, buy an RME 9636 card or any other interface that provides ADAT input to the computer.  Anything other than a PCI card is likely to be $500 or more though.  You can probably get a suitable RME card for about half that.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 03:35:14 PM »
adat recorders...remember those?  ;D
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline cyfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 11:06:30 AM »
Anything other than a PCI card is likely to be $500 or more though.  You can probably get a suitable RME card for about half that.

Ouch. Maybe my current method isn't so onerous afterall  ;D
But thanks for the advice nonetheless.

Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com