Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1000  (Read 81285 times)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
Korg MR-1000
« on: March 27, 2007, 11:58:36 AM »
Sound Professionals gottem in this morning, I should have mine tomorrow.  Now I can record ultra hf noise at 5.6 million bits/second!

Jeff

Offline MattH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Korg MR-1000
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 01:44:31 PM »
Sound Professionals gottem in this morning, I should have mine tomorrow.  Now I can record ultra hf noise at 5.6 million bits/second!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! +T
I just ordered mine for delivery tomorrow also.
Can't wait to play with the new toy.
I hope to do an immediate preamp comparison to the Portico to see how it will work as an all in one box
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's
pre's: Audio Developments AD 066(11), V2, Littlebox, Tinybox, Reutelhuber
recorders: Sonosax SX-R4, Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Tascam DR-2, Mackie DL32R
playback: Teac UD-501 DAC > Meyer Sound

Offline newblue

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Yeah, well, the Dude abides."
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »
Sweetwater is shipping mine today!  Have it tomorrow.  Hoorah!
To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

TLM170R/KM184 > V2 > MR-1000 [Zaolla Interconnects]

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 01:09:44 PM »
I have got mine in.  The menus are very similar to the MR-1, except you set levels with a volume knob (R center, L outside) not a menu section.  No hold switch, but maybe when I read the manual I'll find a menu selection for that.  XLR input is mic-in, TRS is line-in, with H/L gain choices that seems to apply to line-in only if you read the manual (can't be).

Oboy projects.  First need: find an external DC 12 supply, this baby needs 7W.  I need to know what tolerance it has voltage wise.

Jeff

Offline mandoman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 01:36:24 PM »
Sweetwater has one for me too! Yippee! I'm a cheap bastard though and am
not ponying up extra for next day, so I should get mine in 2-3 days. SWEET!

Offline newblue

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 02:03:44 PM »
I have got mine in.  The menus are very similar to the MR-1, except you set levels with a volume knob (R center, L outside) not a menu section.  No hold switch, but maybe when I read the manual I'll find a menu selection for that.  XLR input is mic-in, TRS is line-in, with H/L gain choices that seems to apply to line-in only if you read the manual (can't be).

Oboy projects.  First need: find an external DC 12 supply, this baby needs 7W.  I need to know what tolerance it has voltage wise.

Jeff

Jeff, here's a website with pics and tolerances for the DC12 plug that fits the power jack on the back of the MR-1000.

http://www.smk.co.jp/product_e/pdf/plugjack/ESF311201.pdf

The part number is the -4 version, 10.5 < V <= 13.5 tolerance.  I got this page from the KORG product support people.  The guy, James S., sent me a plug and cable from a bad adapter foc, now that's support.  Looks like I'll get some time on the iron tonight.   

+T,  new gear!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:06:55 PM by newblue »
To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level. - Bertrand Russell

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 03:16:34 PM »
Thanks.  One of the plugs that comes with the BatteryGeek 10-14-88 fits the MR-1000, I'm just worried about the 13.5V limit when the BatteryGeek cell puts out from 10 to 14V (it's reported to work well with the Marantz 671, which technically wants 15V but reportedly only needs 9-15V).  Can your friend at Korg tell me if 14V will fry the MR-1000 or am I safe with it?

Jeff

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 03:36:45 PM »
Got mine today and will try it out with the batterygeek 10-14-88 tonight, possibly post some pics of the guts and do a quick and dirty preamp comparison. Wish I didn't have to work 3 more hours today before I crack the box.
mics: Soundfield ST450, JW mod Milab VIP-50's, Milab VM-44 Links (Matched Cards, Matched S-Cards), BR mod Nak 700's

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 04:42:23 PM »
I got bold/impatient/stupid and tried it out.  The BG 10-14-88 seems to run it just fine.  Should go for 12 hours or so, according to specs.

Jeff

Offline MattH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 12:09:27 AM »
Wow! I'm very impressed with this unit so far. From right out of the box to melting my mind later. Nice metal extruded case, solid unit, with buttons that have a lot of spring to them, to finely adjustable levels and very good sounding headphone amp.

I'm even more impressed with WSD than I thought I would be. Utterly captivating sound that takes your breath away. Transporting you to another dimension. Seriously.

But what really blew me away was how good the box sounds standalone. I could hardly tell which one I liked better. With the neve portico or without. Both astounded me with the neve being ever so slightly warmer.

Test was:
Milab VM44 Link -> Neve Portico 5012 -> Korg MR-1000 1Bit/5.6MHz WSD
Milab VM44 Link -> Korg MR-1000 1Bit/5.6MHz WSD

Source Material: Bela Fleck SACD (Drive)
Playback: Denon 1920 -> Meyer Sound Monitors
Headphones for playback on Korg MR-1000: Sony MDR-V600

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 02:49:15 PM »
The manual for the MR-1000 says (p16) to set the gain switch to high for line-in devices whose output is low (consumer level) and to low for devices whose output is high, using the TRS 1/4" inputs.  The mic inputs are the XLRs, and the manual doesn't mentione high or low gain settings having any impact.

But the H setting clearly gives more gain than the L setting.  Phantom seems okay on a Schoeps CCM pair (you have to provide phantom to both R and L or to neither).

Jeff

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 02:46:27 AM »
So many questions.
-How is the Audiogate software? I know people have been using it with the MR-1, but how long does it take to convert a 1-bit/5.6MHz WSD file to redbook PCM? Is it easy to use? Does it perform accurate, clean conversions?
-How large is a 1-bit/5.6MHz file recorded for an hour? What are the auto-split options? Does it split seamlessly? Is it easy to patch everything together with Audiogate later on before/after converting them to PCM?
-One person has already stated that they really like the preamp. What are other peoples opinions?
-Battery life? I know people are currently trying to find a good external DC solution, but what can you expect with just using the AAs?
-How are the controls/menu/screen? I'm a stickler on levels that are responsive and easy to read.
-Do you think this would fare well in other field applications like ambient recording or film/video sound recording? What do you think of the construction of the unit? How well do mic and line cables connect? How are the buttons placed? Would it be hard to start/stop a recording and control levels if the device was in a bag? In or out of a bag, do you think there is much chance of accidentally stopping/startting a recording, altering levels, or changing something else?
-If you have any experience with the modded 671 or P2, can you comment on how the MR-1000 compares?

I know that is a whole lot to ask considering people have only had them for a day or two, but I don't expect immediate answers. I had mostly forgotten about this unit, seeing as how when it was announced in '06, I didn't think I would have enough money for one. Yet here I am with enough to get a modded 671 or P2, and then I am reminded that this is coming out. So I'm on a three-way fence. This things appears to be smaller than either of the other two, which is always a plus. If I can get some good feedback to these questions and get the impression that a stock unit can perform admirably on its own compared to the competition, then by golly, I'm in.

An advanced thank you to all who will give their impressions on the MR-1000.

Now if you will excuse me, I will anxiously check this thread every three minutes for the next week.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 09:02:48 AM »
The AudioGate is the same software as for the MR-1 (the 5.6 MHz setting on that was a tipoff that is was meant for the MR-1000 also).  Conversion time is not dreadful, but does require patience, I'll try to time it next week if no one else pipes up.  I am looking forward to the announced upgrade to version 1.0.0, hoping it will do a better job of cleaning out the hf noise when making 24/192 PCM conversions (16/44.1 is okay now), even if that takes a lot longer to run (Minnetonka techs tell me that CHrome II software can convert DSD to PCM either quick-and-dirty, which sounds like the AudioGate method, or cleaner but taking about 15 hours for a DVD-worth of audio).  The file size at 5.6 MHz is 1GB about 11 minutes, so an hour would run about 5.5 GB.  The autosplit is set on the MR-1 at a little over 1 GB, you get 25 minutes (so I suppose 12.5 minutes on the MR-1000 at 5.6 MHz, I'll check this weekend).  It is seamless as far as I can tell.  The MR-1 shuts down after 6 hours (whatever format you use) unless you restart at some point, I'll check this feature in the MR-1000 this weekend as well.  The manual on the MR-1000 gives battery life on internal AAs (8 used) as 4 hours no matter what type you use (Alkaline, Oxyride, or NiMH with no mAh rating given), this seems unlikely to me, but I've been testing with the BatteryGeek 10-14-88 external supply.

As for ergonomics, there is no hold switch and the volume knob has a lot of play, somewhat easily turned.  I would not say the buttons are bump-proof, but they don't strike me as accidents waiting to happen.  The XLR connectors are solid, and the case has a nice flap so you can run the cables right in, the case is just a wee bit too tight to hold the MR-1000 with the BatteryGeek supply squezzed in on top. The flap on top of the case should prevent any accidental switch or volume changes, but I'm too paranoid to trust it. The MR-1, with menu volume settings and a hold switch, is clearly designed for pocket/stealth use, while the MR-1000 is not.

Jeff

Offline newblue

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 10:20:29 AM »
I'm going to test the MR-1000 this evening in the field.  Chicago Afrobeat Project is playing at a local bar and I hope that they allow taping.  I'll be running TLM170s > V2 > MR-1000.  I'll take some pics and post my experiences (and hopefully a torrent of the show).  TGIF.

JC

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2007, 03:11:40 AM »
Jeff: Thank you very much. (Christ, Chrome II is like 3 grand!)

newblue: Looking forward to your results. Good luck!

I'm also curious how this thing handles plain PCM recording, since it seems like it can handle up to 24/192 recording. Wondering how clean that is. I just don't have the room to store 5.5 gigs worth of audio every gig :)

And the noise floor in every situation. Everything else sounds fine. If this is good, then my purchase is more or less guaranteed.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 03:37:55 AM by Gizby »
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.217 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com