Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

What’s your experience with 8 TB Weatern Digital external drive?

(1/3) > >>

MakersMarc:
Thanks!

jb63:
I've never used the 8TB but if you're just loading it up and not using it in an array it should be fine. I swear by their 4TB Red, Blue & Green drives.
I did read something about an earthquake affecting their price and manufacturing location a while back, so you may want to do more research, but I have never had a WD drive fail on me.

MakersMarc:
Thanks!

4 TB will do just fine actually

fozzy:
I have 6 of these in my plex/archive server.  I have shucked these from the external enclosures and they are connected to a M1015 SAS controller.  I have reused a couple of the external cases for backups with some 4 and 5tb drives from an old server(simple/crude mod required).     Using the drives internally require blocking one of the sata pins w/ electrical tape but other than that they are identical to the Red WD drives.

These drives aren't fast but I have no issues dealing with large audio files, I wouldn't use them to render high res/rate video or get into audio with more than 8 tracks.  I also have these in a drivepool w/ a 256gig M.2 flash drive as staging space which masks any performance issues. 

I am at about 14 months on my current build and have had no issues. 

morst:
I have like 4-6 of the WD 8TB drives. No issues in about three years maybe since I started running them?

I prefer the larger desktop units with the longer warranties if I can get them (3 years is better than 1!) - not that I plan to use it, but I guesstimate they put longer backing on better products, if they're smart!?

Plenty of 4TB drives from WD as well, and even a couple of 6's. Now I don't keep these running for very long at a time once they're filled up, but I have four of them sitting right here ready to spin. I use DiskTracker on Mac to keep track of the contents when they're not plugged in. That way I can search for and find a file before I decide which copy to use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version