Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Speakers and integrated amp for small room  (Read 5168 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Speakers and integrated amp for small room
« on: December 21, 2017, 01:41:23 PM »
I'm considering setting up a dedicated listening room in a spare bedroom.  The room is approximately 12x12, so it's on the small side.

I'll be using a Raspberry Pi as the playback device 99% of the time, and won't have my turntable in this room.  So all I really need is the speakers and a good integrated amp.  Obviously the integrated amp should have a quality DAC and sufficient digital inputs (USB, optical, coax).

This will be purely stereo, and I'd prefer to have a pair of full-range speakers rather than a pair of bookshelves and a sub.  I'm not totally opposed to 2.1 though...it's just not what I'd ideally like to do.  Obviously I don't want to go overboard with the speakers...they should be well suited for the small room size.

So, I'm looking for ideas on the integrated amp and speakers.  I don't have a solid budget in mind, but $3,000 feels like it should be enough to get a good setup.  Any recommendations are appreciated!
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Speakers and integrated amp for small room
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 02:05:45 PM »
Overall this is a pretty broad request, and a personally subjective decision. Consider used gear for best bang for the buck.  Check craigslist for local deals, audiogon, etc. 

Like recording, location and setup geometry is at least as important as the playback gear.  Determine your setup constraints to better inform your choice of gear.  If it's a dedicated listening room for one person figure out how to setup a good near-field listening arrangement, likely with as much distance between the speakers and walls as you can manage.  As for gear I feel the primary thing is always transducers - microphones and speakers.  The other stuff mostly supports them, including the room and stuff in it.

If you have other stereo gear, put it temporarily in that room and play around with setup geometry for a while.  Try everything including absurd ideas.  Listen and decide what works and what doesn't.  All that should further inform your purchase decisions.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 07:14:49 PM »
i have an integrated Music hall Mambo if you are interested. Class A. I got it from a member here cheap as it had a rough UPS trip and it got banged up pretty good. So its a little ugly but overall works and has a remote.

the ONLY issue is that one of the channels cuts out a little sometimes which is corrected by increase in vol and its fine. Ive been meaning to replace the speaker binding posts as I believe that is where the overall issue is.

So if you are handy etc

I would let it go really really really reasonably if you wanted it for your playback and it would mean you could devote almost all of your budget to speakers

;D
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 07:18:28 PM »
another suggestion would be

something like PI > Fiio as dac and or playback bucket > Little Bear or similar tube pre > AMP > Speakers

currently I run similar

little bear > Outlaw Audio mono blocks > VR2s

the tube amp is the size of a pack of smokes
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 01:01:35 PM »
You have a healthy budget. Would you consider buying used?

Offline heathen

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
You have a healthy budget. Would you consider buying used?

From a local store, probably, but I'm not interested in dealing with Craigslist/Audiogon.  There is a local place that has a used pair of Revel F206 for around $2,500...I'm going to try to give them a listen because the last time I heard a pair of Revel speakers I was really impressed.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 03:08:34 PM »
Try this:

KEF LS50's
PeachTree Decco

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 03:12:58 PM »
Alternative speaker might be FOCAL Aria 906.

Offline heathen

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 04:54:09 PM »
I'm curious why you recommend bookshelves as opposed to floor standing?

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 11:51:46 PM »
Because they are great sounding speakers and you have a small room. BTW, since your room is square you will need to treat it.

Offline heathen

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 12:05:24 AM »
I listened to several speakers today and none of them blew me away.  Some were great, but nothing that really wowed me. I did check out some bookshelves, and was amazed at how well the B&Ws compared. Unfortunately they didn't have the B&W 705 set up so I might search those out to test. They also didn't have the Revel F206, which I'm very interested in trying.

I like the Cambridge CXA80 integrated amp a lot, and it should be sufficient to drive any of the speakers that will be appropriate for such a small room.

Room treatment will definitely be on the agenda, though it's something I know nothing about. One step at a time.

Offline heathen

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 12:13:52 AM »
I ended up just getting a new integrated amp for my main room.  I'd like to focus on treating the main room though I know nothing about acoustic treatments.  Any tips on where to start?  My Googling has mostly turned up information about treating home studios, but I will need to do something more visually appealing and less comprehensive.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 12:42:41 AM »
I ended up just getting a new integrated amp for my main room.  I'd like to focus on treating the main room though I know nothing about acoustic treatments.  Any tips on where to start?  My Googling has mostly turned up information about treating home studios, but I will need to do something more visually appealing and less comprehensive.
http://www.gikacoustics.com/audiophile-2-channel-listening-room-acoustics/
http://www.gikacoustics.com/basics-room-setup-acoustic-panels-bass-traps/
Of course, they reference their products, others manufacture bass traps and, resonator/diffuser/absorbers.
http://realtraps.com/art_front-wall.htm
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.281 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com