Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need solution to run a laptop and small mixer for 6-8 hours  (Read 2531 times)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
I was hoping someone might have a suggestion. At my day job I record some medical seminars and symposium type of events. We don't even really have a lot of trouble shooting time. The way we do it we have to use out company Dell and an 1/8" input. Sonically I don't like it much but it works okay. Sometimes at some locations we have issues with ground buzzes and such. Sometimes a ground lift doesn't help at all. I'd like to try running off some sort of DC power. I would need to be able to run the laptop and a small 4 channnel half rack ENG type mixer sometimes with phantom power for 6-8 hours or more. Is there some sort of rechargable portible battery DC to AC type of unit? Any suggestions?
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

Offline sanaka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
Re: need solution to run a laptop and small mixer for 6-8 hours
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 03:58:33 PM »
Here's one: http://www.realgoods.com/product/camping-gifts-apparel/camping/tools-equipment/xantrex+xpower+1500+powerpack.do

Huge but would work great. Or get your own battery, a large SLA or small car battery, and an inverter, and a strong spine or a hand truck  ;)

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »
if your laptop runs on anything lesss than 20v you can probably use a small lithium ion external source(rotate bouncing off  the internal if necessary), the one I'm about to suggest for the mixer may work, you'll have to check the specs and do the math. For the mixer if takes a DC barrel I use a 1lb lithium ion solution. These batteries are a little pricey but are well constructed and extremely versatile.

http://powerstream.com/PST-MP3500.htm

These are also stackable which is nice. so you can double your capacity. They've been a bulletproof solution for my MOTU which is a 12v interface and now I use it on my Korg MR-1 which is 5v and am in the process of trying to wire its power cable to 4 pin Hirose to power my SD Mixpre(6-15v) on another one, the 8-way voltage toggle and usb adapter makes it a really nice solution and they last a long time for the size. The charts to do the math for how long your device will run on them is on the page I noted above. My laptop is 20v unfortunately so it draws too much juice to use one of these for it. It's probably also worth mentioning that I've had call to phone the company with questions a couple times and they have been quite responsive and helpful when I call. I have run my single battery pack at approximately 100 shows so far and have seen near negligible battery degrade.

Hope this helps.
J

P.S. - I lugged a car battery "jump starter" around for summercamp with my laptop this year and ran off of it via inverter, unless you have a wagon or some mode to transport it `without` carrying it, I would not suggest going that route.
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 04:29:32 PM »
http://www.alienbees.com/VIIsystem.html

6-8 hours is a long time for all the things you mentioned so that may push the limit of anything you use but take a look at that device.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com