Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cable Comparison with The Mic Hybrid & Hydra mic cables  (Read 39463 times)

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Cable Comparison with The Mic Hybrid & Hydra mic cables
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2007, 04:50:29 PM »

Hey Jmos, try these tracks:

The show is now up on the Archive.  For those just wanting to sample a couple of tracks, I think these two make for a good comparison.

Chris

Set 1 / Track 8 - Nothing Too Fancy  http://www.archive.org/download/um2007.03.02.flac16/um2007-03-02d1t08.flac

Set 2 / Track 6 - Hurt Bird Bath  http://www.archive.org/download/um2007.03.02.flac16/um2007-03-02d2t06.flac

edit:  Streaming mp3's are also available at http://www.archive.org/details/um2007.03.02.flac16

I've got some rca>xlr turnarounds from BAT that sell for $90/pair.  I could record tracks from a cd player to the 722 with The Orchid rca's, the turnarounds and the different sets of cables.  I don't mind doing the cd player test.  I don't mind doing the single mic test either.  I think what people want to see is consistently better performance out of the MIc Hybrid, regardless of the testing parameters.  I don't mind proving that out.  Keep in mind, none of these tests will tell us how they perform in the field.  It is a vastly different source.  The mic signal is a very low level signal.  Low level signals are much more susceptible to EMI/RF Interference.  Todd raised a very good point about the cable's screenings not being tested for field recording (The Mic Hybrid is triple screened, btw).

These lab tests are for those who believe a cable does not influence the signal path at all.  Once this issue is dealt with, I think we'll all be able to move forward with the comparisons made in the field.  We'll have another first set / second set comparison available in a couple of weeks with different mil-spec cable.  I feel confident that Dennis Tyler is taking care to ensure that the stand height and mic configuration are consistent between sets.  We all want valid results.  It's surprising the number of people who have suggested that the taper's lack of basic setup skills could be the culprit.  I think we're all better than that.  I don't think a 2 mm movement in any direction is going to wreck a recording.  We've all had mic setups that have drifted in one way or another during a show.  Maybe a slight shift in balance, but that's about all I've ever experienced from it.  Most of the time the changes are negligible to non-existent.

Chris

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2007, 04:51:10 PM »
Thanks Chris, I must've missed that it's up on the archive...

You guys bring up valid points re: the "living room" testing...
I guess ideally we'd have a studio test and a field test, and then discuss the results of both.  It's certainly nicer to do it in the studio since you can repeat, change, alter things as many times as you wish. (even if you do use a mic in front of a speaker cabiniet, in the studio would allow for all of this)

Maybe the most "controlled" field test would include a matched set of mics set up in exactly the same direction, i.e. straight forward, directly next to each other...not set up in a stereo config.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:53:31 PM by Jmos »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2007, 04:59:29 PM »
From another thread:

Chris - it doesn't seem to me that anyone disagrees that your very controlled test will provide value.  But I am (and perhaps others are) suggesting it's not the be-all, end-all test that will for once and ever make up everyone's mind with respect to audible differences between cables.  I am (and I think others are) suggesting that - in addition to your very controlled comp - there's still value in comps that make a very limited number of compromises.

Feel free to disagree.  I think we're going in circles at this point.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
Thanks Chris, I must've missed that it's up on the archive...

You guys bring up valid points re: the "living room" testing...
I guess ideally we'd have a studio test and a field test, and then discuss the results of both.  It's certainly nicer to do it in the studio since you can repeat, change, alter things as many times as you wish. (even if you do use a mic in front of a speaker cabiniet, in the studio would allow for all of this)

Maybe the most "controlled" field test would include a matched set of mics set up in exactly the same direction, i.e. straight forward, directly next to each other...not set up in a stereo config.

The problem with that test is this.. Two mics even side by side are not going to pick up exactly the same sound at the same time unless they occupied the same space and unfortunately that's not possible. So why not take a single microphone? that way it does not move and you can simply swap out cables?  then you have a good chance of really hearing a difference. I mean these changes might not be huge so if the mics were just off slightly maybe someone would say hey this cable sounds better but maybe its the fact that even though the stereo set of mics is matched via a COMPUTER PROGRAM :) they might not be actually perfectly matched. People are saying I am using to much science here is the real issues if you use a pair of mics your 100% relying on science to tell you that they are matched. The major problem with this is The science of measuring a microphone is not yet perfected.. So if we remove one mic from the equation then we just have a single source to listen to then we can make an evaluation on the merits of one cable over the other cable.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2007, 05:06:07 PM »
Fair enough Todd but you have to have the same microphone for the test and the same source if not how can you make a meaningful comparison between cables? so you need at the very least a cd player or some recording played back thru a speaker because in a live situation you can not get the band to play the same song twice exactly the same way so the results are then not worth much. I mean if I am going to listen to a pair of speakers and A/B them I want to hear the same track on both sets of speakers of course at different times. So you need a prerecorded source in order to make sure that what the mic captures is exactly the same so that you will know what differences the cables made in the first place right? I know what your saying about emf and emi I agree 100% that these things effect sound. They do but if we just want to listen to the basic difference of a cable dont we at least need the same exact source and same exact mics in the same exact position so we can know for sure that if there are differences its the cable that is making the changes not the fact that its a new song or a new mic position? That's All I have ever wanted to say about this subject I know science is not what we are about we are about using our ears. But I can make an objective decision when you have two different pairs of mics or different mic positions or different sources.... Can you? if so you have better ears that I do. I cant I need to hear the same song with the same exact setup in order to know what the differences are with 100% certainty. And if we are going to do tests dont we want to be a certain as we can before we lay down our hard earned money. Look I am not saying good cables dont make a difference that would be stupid what I am saying is can we really tell between a nice star quad and a super high end cable? and if so why not do a simple test that puts this to bed once and for all? then all the people who dont believe will... Sales will increase and everyone wins right?

I'm not saying I have better ears than you Chris, I'm just don't agree that the type of testing that has been done is useless, nor that the testing you seem to be proposing is perfect.  I don't really think any testing we can do will be both perfectly valid (with only one variable changing) and perfectly comprehensive.  So I'd vote to do more testing, more types of testing, and testing in different environments.

As I noted in the other thread and as Shawn has noted above, more data points can help us make judgements.  If we do lots and lots of pairwise tests, even though each individual one may not be perfect, we can start making judgements.  For instance, if we do 100 of these pairwise tests, and in every test come to the conclusion that the rig that always uses Cable X always sounds harsh on the high end and anemic on the low end, and the comps using rigs that always use Cable Y always sound sweet on the high end with a full, tight low end, we can reasonably conclude that Cable X sounds harsh and anemic and Cable Y sounds sweet and tight.  Otherwise we have to attribute these differences to just be random coincidence since all the other variables (mics, location, recorders, etc) were random over the course of the 100 tests.  And if everything were random, then sometimes randomly we wouldn't hear the rig that used cable X to sound harsh, yet it always did.

Long story short, I'm not arguing against the tests you propose, and they may in fact be better on a number of fronts.  But no test will be perfect, so folks should just do their best and keep the comps coming.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 05:27:54 PM by Todd R »
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2007, 05:12:29 PM »
From another thread:

Chris - it doesn't seem to me that anyone disagrees that your very controlled test will provide value.  But I am (and perhaps others are) suggesting it's not the be-all, end-all test that will for once and ever make up everyone's mind with respect to audible differences between cables.  I am (and I think others are) suggesting that - in addition to your very controlled comp - there's still value in comps that make a very limited number of compromises.

Feel free to disagree.  I think we're going in circles at this point.

Well here is the problem with compromises Why compromise? why do we have to have two mics in order to know if a cable is better then the other? This is not My method by any means its a method that all microphone companies use to measure microphones performance I am just turning it around and using it to test a cables performance. I think that no one will ever agree with me and that's ok. I think that unfortunately this will never get solved because to many people who dont do tests for a living are deciding what tests are valid and what tests are not. I can tell you if I was auditioning a pair of speakers I would want to hear both. But this is not about there performance of a pair of mic cables this is about there performance difference between A mic cable and another mic cable. So why not keep it simple? I wish you all good luck with your tests. I think that there are a lot of people here that just dont like me and they are painting me out to be something I am not. I am passionate about audio I am not here to show the dumb people of taperssection how much smarter I am then they are. I am here to share the little bit of knowledge I have about one subject audio. If you want to listen to me great if not thats ok. I will stop trying to show people that there is more then just one way to do things. That tests can be done at home that will reveal results that mean something and you dont have to have a pile of test gear or a lab coat in order to conduct them. Remember the time when people like Edison did experiments at home why did he achieve what others failed to do? because he knew that in order to have a valid test you have to be able to repeat the results time and time again. You cant do that with a bunch of mics and a bunch of sources because then you dont know whats making the difference anymore and you lose sight of the real reason you want to spend $500 on a set of XLR cables the sound improvement.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2007, 05:18:34 PM »
Quote from: Church-Audio

I can't believe we are still arguing over how to do a listening test.

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2007, 05:23:18 PM »
Fair enough Todd but you have to have the same microphone for the test and the same source if not how can you make a meaningful comparison between cables? so you need at the very least a cd player or some recording played back thru a speaker because in a live situation you can not get the band to play the same song twice exactly the same way so the results are then not worth much. I mean if I am going to listen to a pair of speakers and A/B them I want to hear the same track on both sets of speakers of course at different times. So you need a prerecorded source in order to make sure that what the mic captures is exactly the same so that you will know what differences the cables made in the first place right? I know what your saying about emf and emi I agree 100% that these things effect sound. They do but if we just want to listen to the basic difference of a cable dont we at least need the same exact source and same exact mics in the same exact position so we can know for sure that if there are differences its the cable that is making the changes not the fact that its a new song or a new mic position? That's All I have ever wanted to say about this subject I know science is not what we are about we are about using our ears. But I can make an objective decision when you have two different pairs of mics or different mic positions or different sources.... Can you? if so you have better ears that I do. I cant I need to hear the same song with the same exact setup in order to know what the differences are with 100% certainty. And if we are going to do tests dont we want to be a certain as we can before we lay down our hard earned money. Look I am not saying good cables dont make a difference that would be stupid what I am saying is can we really tell between a nice star quad and a super high end cable? and if so why not do a simple test that puts this to bed once and for all? then all the people who dont believe will... Sales will increase and everyone wins right?

I'm not saying I have better ears than you Chris, I'm just don't agree that the type of testing that has been done is useless, nor that the testing you seem to be proposing is perfect.  I don't really think any testing we can do will be both perfectly valid (with only one variable changing) and perfectly comprehensive.  So I'd vote to do more testing, more types of testing, and testing in different environments.

As I noted in the other thread and as Shawn has noted above, more data points can help us make judgements.  If we do lots and lots of pairwise tests, even though each individual one may not be perfect, we can start making judgements.  For instance, if we do 100 of these pairwise tests, and in every test come to the conclusion that the rig that always uses Cable X always sounds harsh on the high end and anemic on the low end, and the comps using rigs that always use Cable Y always sound sweet on the high end with a full, tight low end, we can reasonably conclude that Cable X sounds harsh and anemic and Cable Y sounds sweet and tight.  Otherwise we have to attribute these differences to just be random coincidence since all the other variables (mics, location, recorders, etc) were random over the course of the 100 tests.  And if everything were random, then sometimes randomly we wouldn't hear the rig that used cable X to sound harsh, yet it always did.

Long story short, I'm not arguing against the tests you propose, and they may in fact be better on a number of fronts.  But no test will be perfect, so folks should just do their best and keep the coms coming.
Todd the problem I have with all the different types of testing is this. Say I did not know anything about cables... So I saw the results of a single test and said WOW I have to go out and buy these cables! they are great. But if you dont understand that there were two different sets of mics and two different positions isn't this test misleading if we are not 100% sure why one sounds better then the other so we automatically assume its a cable? This kind of testing for the purposes of making a profit is irresponsible and not cool. Why do we have crash test standards? in the USA/Canada? because when you get into a car you know that the car you got into met a certain safety standard or it would not be allowed to be made for sale to the public. Now we know that as good as these standards are there are still cars on the road that really should never have passed. So what I am saying is this standards need to be employed when your talking about selling a product to a consumer so that you know that your product is not snake oil and you can prove it. Then you can sell your product knowing full well that it meets a standard for performance. If I was in the cable business I would want to do that because cables seem to be this intangible thing we dont really think about them much. Why not have a good solid test that leave very little wiggle room so you can say to a customer here look My product does make a real difference, and this is how it makes a difference. I think its ironic that people are saying I am too scientific about my method for testing cable, when I can be hard pressed to find a industry with less immersion in technology then the cable business.... Some of it is a little flaky but some of it actually make sense. I say if your going to sell a product if you have not got a reliable way of testing its performance how can you guarantee continuity of manufacturing. And if you cant guarantee that how can people charge $500 a pair for the said cables?? So if you dont have a test that is 100% fool proof or as fool proof as it can be how can you say that these $500 cables are in fact better?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2007, 05:25:39 PM »

Terry its not an argument.  Don't you want to know your cables are better for sure? I do. I am not arguing with anyone I am respectfully stating my case.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2007, 05:26:02 PM »
Mr. Chruch, just curious.. How many aud recordings have you made in the last year?

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2007, 05:26:28 PM »
The problem with that test is this.. Two mics even side by side are not going to pick up exactly the same sound at the same time unless they occupied the same space and unfortunately that's not possible. So why not take a single microphone? that way it does not move and you can simply swap out cables?  then you have a good chance of really hearing a difference. I mean these changes might not be huge so if the mics were just off slightly maybe someone would say hey this cable sounds better but maybe its the fact that even though the stereo set of mics is matched via a COMPUTER PROGRAM :) they might not be actually perfectly matched. People are saying I am using to much science here is the real issues if you use a pair of mics your 100% relying on science to tell you that they are matched. The major problem with this is The science of measuring a microphone is not yet perfected.. So if we remove one mic from the equation then we just have a single source to listen to then we can make an evaluation on the merits of one cable over the other cable.

Ok, just a follow up.  So say we do what you are suggesting.  Then we just introduce different variables into the equation.  One mic means the pairwise testing is done at different times.  You can control the source (same CD, same PA system if you're "field" testing mics, etc, etc).  But there could be a plane flying overhead in the distance in the second test.  There could be crappy power coming in from the utility which is used to run the CD player and the PA for only one of the tests, not the other.  The HVAC system could turn on in one of the tests.  A fluorescent light could start to flicker in one of the tests.  A mouse could fart during one of the tests.  Who knows?  Lots and lots of variables come into play, and we can only control so many of them. So if we do the testing you suggest, we're trading off one set of problems for another.  You may well be right that the testing you suggest has fewer uncontrolled variables of concern or that their impact is less, but you still will have problems.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2007, 05:28:02 PM »
I think that no one will ever agree with me and that's ok. I think that unfortunately this will never get solved because to many people who dont do tests for a living are deciding what tests are valid and what tests are not. I can tell you if I was auditioning a pair of speakers I would want to hear both. But this is not about there performance of a pair of mic cables this is about there performance difference between A mic cable and another mic cable. So why not keep it simple?  I wish you all good luck with your tests.

Again, no one disagrees there's value in keeping it simple.  But there's also value in hearing not-quite-perfect comps, too (read Todd R's recent post for an example).  You obviously disagree.  (Fair enough...circles.)  If you're suggesting that the one and only test that will provide any value of any kind is a perfectly controlled test - then yes, I disagree with you.  Let's move on.

I am passionate about audio I am not here to show the dumb people of taperssection how much smarter I am then they are. I am here to share the little bit of knowledge I have about one subject audio. If you want to listen to me great if not thats ok.

We appreciate - and share! - your passion for audio.  No one has accused you (that I've seen...maybe I missed it) of trying to prove how much smarter you are than the dumb TSers.

I will stop trying to show people that there is more then just one way to do things. That tests can be done at home that will reveal results that mean something and you dont have to have a pile of test gear or a lab coat in order to conduct them.

We all agree there's more than just one way of doing things.  That's precisely my (and it seems others') point.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2007, 05:36:14 PM »

Terry its not an argument.  Don't you want to know your cables are better for sure? I do. I am not arguing with anyone I am respectfully stating my case.

Well, I just don't think you support our Troops in Iraq and Afghanistan...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2007, 05:36:44 PM »
Todd, let me just say it's nice to have you in on this conversation.

Chris

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2007, 06:06:30 PM »
Mr. Chruch, just curious.. How many aud recordings have you made in the last year?

Your answer sir.     http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,71167.msg1078844.html#msg1078844

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com