Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do I need an A/D?  (Read 16078 times)

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re:Do I need an A/D?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2003, 03:07:16 AM »
Daryan,
I'm not totally sold on the JB3. I haven't seen 100% approval on it anywhere... and the skipping/glitches problems I hear about, plus the ass level meters and the fact that it's not a true pure wav (this is all what I've heard, by the way) makes me want to wait till I have the disposable cash for a nice little M1 + 7pin - and I'll be running my NEVER-FAIL MD as backup!!
A

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2003, 03:10:43 AM »
All the skips and whatnot you've heard all relate to the use of a CO2 or other Coax > Opti convertor... going straight opti to opti should cause no problem.  You do have live monitoring on the jb3 so if all else fails with the levels you've got that.  As for the pure wave, from what I know it's just as pure in wav format as anything else.

Jonny

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2003, 03:26:39 AM »
Ah, well then.  ;) ;)
People been yappin' about "Microsoft wavs" as opposed to pure wavs...
Well, we'll see...
A

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2003, 07:28:04 AM »
Again with the newbie Q's.....how do you power something like that?

Check out the power section here:

http://www.geocities.com/bskalinder/tapersgear/

If the audio gear we use can't be powered sufficiently (or at all) by rechargable batteries, the next best option is either an SLA or RC battery.  There's a link in the above page to instructions for building an SLA or RC battery pack.  These two options will work for almost any gear requiring external power.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2003, 08:52:49 AM »
I run 2 9.6V RC car batteries to power my UA5.  Special thanks for Nick Georges who told me how freeking easy it was to wire up.  Works great, although I have no idea how long it lasts as the UA5 doesn't have a power meter.  From general guesstimation, with 2 1600mah packs, I should get 6-8 hours.  I have used it for 5 hours with no power loss.  Seems to work great, and is very convienient.

A nice thing about the UA5 is the USB capability.  I'm going to try some 24 bit recording to my laptop tonight, sure couldn't do that with the Zefiro.

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2003, 07:51:53 PM »
My mics are wired into a 1/8" stereo plug.  The UA-5 doesn't have that type of input correct?

-Kevin

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2003, 02:19:33 AM »
Hey Kevin  --  what mics are you running?

The UA-5 analog inputs are: XLR, 1/4", and RCA.

Without knowing exactly what mics you're using, my initial guess is if you're not using mics that require XLR mic cables that the greatest impact on improving sound quality will be to upgrade your mics before adding/upgrading pre/ADC/deck.
Roland R-05

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2003, 06:43:29 AM »
Start at the top & work your way down for upgrades.  Upgrade microphones first, then add a pre-amp ( AD-20 or Ua5) then upgrade from Mini disc to DAT. You will have yourself a very solid rig if you make the right choice on the microphones, in other words they make the most difference.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2003, 08:22:54 AM »
My mics are wired into a 1/8" stereo plug.  The UA-5 doesn't have that type of input correct?

I used to run a 1/8 mini-to-XLR adapter when I ran AT853 > Inbox.  I got it from soundprofessionals...  Worked great.

Offline blu666z

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2003, 02:12:09 PM »
Hmmm, very mixed opinions.  

-Kevin

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2003, 02:14:37 PM »
And MINE is the right one!
 ;) ;)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2003, 06:21:06 PM »
Good point, Kevin - and completely true.

The reality is, there's no hard and fast rule with taping: which gear to use, in what combinations, when, where, and how.  We each share what we know from our own experiences, and obviously we've had different experiences.

If taping were a science and everyone could just plug all their gear in and make identical tapes, it would take all the fun out of it.

Best advice I can give is:

[1]  Monitor the board and people's replies to get a feel for who consistently offers good advice.

[2]  Take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt (especially anyone who claims hard and fast that one piece of gear or one configuration or one anything is unquestionably, unarguably THE way to go).

[3]  Try out many options - buying different gear if you can afford it, borrowing gear, playing around at home or at shows - and decide what your ears like best and then stick with it (until you feel the urge to try something different!).

And if you ever have a chance to meet Armen in person, do what I would do - give the whippersnapper a swift smack upside the head!   :o   ;D
Roland R-05

Offline blu666z

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2003, 06:37:34 PM »
I think I am probably gonna start watching prices on the UA-5.  I will obviously need on sooner or later and if I don't have money for mics right now why not go ahead and get the A/D.  Thanks for the all the help again.

-Kevin

Offline hippies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "What we all need is a left hand monkey wrench."
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2003, 06:43:29 PM »
Good point, Kevin - and completely true.

The reality is, there's no hard and fast rule with taping: which gear to use, in what combinations, when, where, and how.  We each share what we know from our own experiences, and obviously we've had different experiences.

If taping were a science and everyone could just plug all their gear in and make identical tapes, it would take all the fun out of it.

Best advice I can give is:

[1]  Monitor the board and people's replies to get a feel for who consistently offers good advice.

[2]  Take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt (especially anyone who claims hard and fast that one piece of gear or one configuration or one anything is unquestionably, unarguably THE way to go).

[3]  Try out many options - buying different gear if you can afford it, borrowing gear, playing around at home or at shows - and decide what your ears like best and then stick with it (until you feel the urge to try something different!).

And if you ever have a chance to meet Armen in person, do what I would do - give the whippersnapper a swift smack upside the head!   :o   ;D

nice job, Bri #2  hehe...

seriously, excellent advice as always!  +T for you.  

-Armen, looks like you better watch your back brah!  ;)

~S
« Last Edit: April 05, 2003, 06:45:22 PM by hippies »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2003, 08:44:59 PM »
Be nice fellas!!!!!!! ;)

bean
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com