Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New Panasonic 4k compact digital camera TZ100 (EU model) / ZS100 (US model)  (Read 46191 times)

Offline magmazing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Magmazing Music
I was mostly surprised how well the focus held while in autofocus mode. Typically audience heads and hands that get in the way wreak havoc on the focus, but for the most part it holds up well shooting video while the sensor is in the right focus zone. Even if it does drift, it drifts slowly.  When in manual focus mode and when I trigger the autofocus temporarily with the touch screen or one of my custom buttons to help me out that's when it sometimes has troubles searching the focus extremes.

The camera's mic is also surprisingly decent. The audio I was getting even when pretty much standing right in front of the speakers is actually listenable. You can tell there's some harsh limiting going on and there's still some mild distortion, but it's not the overmodulated mess I'm used to from ever other camera I've owned.

Whenever I shot video I set the aperture to f/5.6 since I tend to use the full rage of the zoom all the time. So ideally it's better for well lit shows, but at a darker lit show I was still getting nice looking video cranking the ISO to 3200.
I shoot concert video and post my footage to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/magmazing
http://www.youtube.com/victoriabcmusicscene

My Current Equipment:
Canon HF S100 Camcorder
Canon 70D dSLR
Panasonic ZS100 digital camera
Sony HX10V Digital Camera
Edirol R-09HR Digital Audio Recorder
Church Audio CA-11 microphones

Offline magmazing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Magmazing Music
Alessia Cara at Coachella - Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e7VdZKhw-8

Edit: Weird. Adobe Media Encoder must be stuttering on my my Surface Pro 3 encoding the 4K vid causing weird frame freezes.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 05:17:41 PM by magmazing »
I shoot concert video and post my footage to YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/magmazing
http://www.youtube.com/victoriabcmusicscene

My Current Equipment:
Canon HF S100 Camcorder
Canon 70D dSLR
Panasonic ZS100 digital camera
Sony HX10V Digital Camera
Edirol R-09HR Digital Audio Recorder
Church Audio CA-11 microphones

Offline Datfly

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
I am renting the ZS100 for a week & used it for a concert arena & then later for a club to see how it performs.
I will be checking HD 60 & 4K modes as well as the I.Zoom just in case I need the extra reach to see if there is any noticeable
degradation on quality.
Last night for Boston at The Seminole Hollywood Hard Rock I did several test with HD & 4K modes & I Zoom.

This song was filmed in HD used just the 28 to 270 zoom. ISO 400 Exposure - 1/2

https://youtu.be/Ku3f-4b7Wgo

The 4K zoom is 37 to 370 because of the crop factor.
4K time linit is 15 min and HD record time is 29.59

The 15.00 minute 4K recording time limit is a hassle as some bands just simply go into a second or third song and it gets close
as you want to stop & start quickly without music loss.

Here is the 4K song I did. ISO 400 Exposure - 1/2  - No iZoom just 37 - 370 4K crop zoom.

https://youtu.be/9UsFMZGo0Ew

(Takes YouTube a little bit to get full resolution uploaded.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:28:02 PM by Datfly »
Mics: Schoeps MK41's - Ass't Shure & Sennheiser for stage
Pre-Amps: Naiant Tinybox 2.2 o/t 
Cables: Nbob Actives V1
Recorders: Zoom F8nPro - F3 - H6 x 3 + Tascam DR-2d x 2
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Sony NX80 4K | Sony AX700 4K  X 4 Camcorders
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member
While the HD looks great the 4K is as expected simply stunning.
I also just took the 4K video & rendered it to HD & it still is vastly superior to the camera shot HD!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:15:49 AM by Datfly »
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III
Canon 300 2.8 IS II | Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II | Canon 24-70 2.8 II | Canon 16-35 4.0

Offline sckofelng

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
Yep, 4K looks so much better indeed, thank you very much for the video, words can't describe how excited I am to tape with it. It has such superior focus abilities compared to the FZ1000, I believe I will sell that one for now and get that one instead and maybe get the Sony RX10 MK3 later on (there is another thread for that one in here)
Audio rig:
AT853 (w/ lowsensmod) > SP-SB11 > Sony PCM-M10

Video:
Panasonic DMC-TZ200 (manual settings)
Panasonic DMC-LX100 (manual settings)

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member
Yep, 4K looks so much better indeed, thank you very much for the video, words can't describe how excited I am to tape with it. It has such superior focus abilities compared to the FZ1000, I believe I will sell that one for now and get that one instead and maybe get the Sony RX10 MK3 later on (there is another thread for that one in here)

I will get & test the Sony RX10 MKIII in the next couple of weeks once it's released to try.
I think that & this ZS100 will be the combo to beat.
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Just for a comparison with another 4K cam - here's some video I shot last night with a Sony FDR-AX100:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q_ktigvqnA

It has a function called the neutral density filter (ND filter) that allows you to film when there is intense lighting (think sunlight behind a subject - or for us, stage lights behind a musician).  It has three settings (not including zero) and I played around with it during the show (you can see the change in lighting when I adjusted it).

Obviously, I down-converted this video to 1080 HD.  I like how it shoots video.  It's a one hour video.  Just skim through it to see the different lighting using the ND filter.  I'd recommend watching the last four minutes just for entertainment's sake - it got a little crazy on stage.  It's a Journey tribute band called "Journey Unauthorized."
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline sckofelng

• Taperssection Regular

I will get & test the Sony RX10 MKIII in the next couple of weeks once it's released to try.
I think that & this ZS100 will be the combo to beat.

I can't wait to see the results, what type of shows (venue size, lights) are you filming for the test?

I agree, this combo and the LX100 for first row shots is the combination to beat.

Will you be able to test the hack to pass the rec time limit? I would LOVE to see if heat is a problem when filming 2 hours in a row in 4k (with a 128 GB SDXC).

Just for a comparison with another 4K cam - here's some video I shot last night with a Sony FDR-AX100:

It has a function called the neutral density filter (ND filter) that allows you to film when there is intense lighting (think sunlight behind a subject - or for us, stage lights behind a musician).  It has three settings (not including zero) and I played around with it during the show (you can see the change in lighting when I adjusted it).

Obviously, I down-converted this video to 1080 HD.  I like how it shoots video.  It's a one hour video.  Just skim through it to see the different lighting using the ND filter.  I'd recommend watching the last four minutes just for entertainment's sake - it got a little crazy on stage.  It's a Journey tribute band called "Journey Unauthorized."

Looking neat as well but the focus is really poor on this one when zooming in to full tele or is that just me?
Also, this one is giant and I must admit I have already gotten used to be away from all the troubleshooting inside venues when filming with a camcorder, it just feels much better :)
Audio rig:

Video:

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member

I would love to go with a dedicated camcorder but I can walk in with my FZ1000 into just about any venue and the ZS100 will be as easy as a phone but a camcorder would pretty much cause a stir. I usually only shoot where it's iffy so I need the camera body 4K for now.
Your footage looked great!!
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
Do you guys have 4k computer monitors?

Also what is everyone using to edit 4k footage.

Offline Datfly

• Taperssection Member

I have an older 30" Mac Monitor (Matt Screen) but the detail & quality is apparent it is cleaner & crisper
than any HD. My PC is a few years old but handles it well I use Sony Vegas Pro to edit & render.
Panasonic ZS100 4K X 2
Canon 5D MK III

Offline sckofelng

• Taperssection Regular
Using Sony Vegas to synch my ext. audio with the samples I want to render and then "implementing" to Premiere Pro to render only as the h264 codec works much superior there, especially in 4k.
Audio rig:

Video:

Offline guitard

I have a nice laptop that is pretty powerful as far as laptops go (I don't remember the actual specs) and it can play back the footage just fine, but when I drop it into Vegas Pro 13, it gets kind of weird.  There's a really nasty stutter to the audio.  This might be because the audio in the video is 5.1.  When I render the audio to a wave file, and play the wave file along with the video - it sounds just fine.  It gets really hot while encoding video and oddly enough, it struggles to encode an SD version (to make a DVD5) from the 4k footage - but can encode a 1080p file without a problem.

I built a video editing work station a few months ago and put $3k into it.  It can play back the 4K footage just fine and has no problem rendering it to any format.

Already previously mentioned - I use Vegas 13 Pro (a legit copy).

I am in the market for a monitor for my work station.  I am not entirely clear on what specs I should be looking for though.  Any help in that regard would be appreciated.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
I think ill will start by upgrading to vegas 13 from 9 that i am still using with great success with 1080 avchd footage.
Might also get the Sony ax100.Waiting on final specs for Panasonic AG UX 180 camera.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:21:49 PM by beatkilla »

Offline guitard

I would love to go with a dedicated camcorder but I can walk in with my FZ1000 into just about any venue and the ZS100 will be as easy as a phone but a camcorder would pretty much cause a stir. I usually only shoot where it's iffy so I need the camera body 4K for now.
Your footage looked great!!

I rarely film anything open; the video for which I posted a link is kind of a rarity for me in that it was basically an open shooting scenario.  I will eventually replace my Sony HX9V with a 4K point-and-shoot for when I really need to  >:D from up close.  But with a nice 4K videocam like the AX100, you can  >:D from the cheap seats and still get an amazing shot (you can actually crop it and make a 1080p video that looks like you shot it from much closer).  One really nice thing about the AX100 is that you can shoot continuous video for over two hours with no gaps using a bigger battery and a 64GB card.  You end up with a single file that is huge - but I actually like it better that way.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com