Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wav splitting on a Mac?  (Read 12709 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Wav splitting on a Mac?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 10:51:49 AM »
i still don't see why mac users need to use cd wave.  tracking is simple in plenty of mac apps....

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 11:47:12 AM »
i still don't see why mac users need to use cd wave.  tracking is simple in plenty of mac apps....

QFT.  When I first moved back to mac, I wanted CDWav since I liked it so much and was used to it.  Now I really don't have any real interest.  I'm using Amadeus for both editing and tracking, and it works great.  I haven't followed the latest releases of CDWav, but Amadeus gives me pretty much the same capabilities, plus it allows me to save directly to a variety of formats, including flac and mp3.  It even allows tagging I believe, though I haven't been using that feature.

Not to say Amadeus is the only choice, just reiterating that there are plenty of mac track splitting programs, and many might even supply functionality that goes beyond cdwav.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »
how many of them are free though?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »

Audacity (which I use as an all in one). To it's credit, it's the only one that tracks that is free off the top of my head.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline printguy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rockin' in Toronto
    • hipfans.com
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 08:29:47 PM »
Some are free... But why not splurge and spend $20 to support a program developer?
• CA-11 or CA-14 > Naiant TinyBox > Tascam DR-1
• Neumann KM184s > R-44

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »
Some are free... But why not splurge and spend $20 to support a program developer?
and i may do just that, if i cannot get the features i'm looking for for free.  i generally have no problem purchasing a piece of functional software, assuming it does exactly what i need it to do.  if a free alternative is available though, i will go that route.  at the same time, in the interest of supporting developers i would probably rather donate to a freeware developer than purchase a paid version if the freeware does just what i need. 

in this case, it's not so much about finding a mac alternative for splitting tracks, i'm posting this in the interest of generating a "proof of concept" for porting cd wave editor (or other great windows utilities) to the mac where a simple, free alternative doesn't exist, such as in this case.  i'm sure i can track with audacity but the workflow of cd wave editor is a compelling reason for me to want to try getting it to work on mac, and that's why i'm asking if anyone here has the knowledge and ability to "bottle" cd wave with the aforementioned wine bottler utility. 
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 09:22:42 PM »
I am a VERY pleased user of Amadeus.... It doesn't get any easier to track than that prog and splits on sector boundaries and export to flac with metadata. It's the only prog. I use to track shows on my OSX system.
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 10:32:45 PM »

Damn grad students -- always on a shoestring budget. :P

Well, CDwav is supposed to be $15 if you use it beyond the trial period, so technically it isn't free either.  Amadeus is $40, so not free, but only $25 more than CDwav and it is a full featured editor as well.  I guess Audacity is the ticket for free, though I don't know how user-friendly the tracking is.

Not to shoot down the wine bottle thing, though I have no idea how to accomplish it to get it to bottle up CDwav.  But I'm very happy as well with Amadeus -- it works great start to finish with getting shows transferred and tracked.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Brian E.

• is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 10:37:30 PM »
i didn't realize there was a way to just put markers in Audacity and then have it auto-split upon save.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 10:55:06 PM »
I guess Audacity is the ticket for free, though I don't know how user-friendly the tracking is.

Open your giant wav file.

Hit Apple+B where you want a new track to begin. It creates a little marker below the channel (see pic below).

If you set it to CDDA Frames prior to placing the label and selecting "snap to", then you cut on sector boundaries as well. (also see pic below)

i didn't realize there was a way to just put markers in Audacity and then have it auto-split upon save.

All of this is easier to accomplish in the v1.3X and up world, 1.2.6 took more effort if I remember correctly as this and the "processing the wav file while it's loading" instead of just waiting till it's done opening as two features that made me upgrade.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 11:21:03 PM »

The cdwave UI is really outstanding...   I can't really think of how it could be quicker for tracking shows.   Most alternatives are clunky in comparison.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 09:38:26 AM »

The cdwave UI is really outstanding...   I can't really think of how it could be quicker for tracking shows.   Most alternatives are clunky in comparison.

i click on a spot for a new track and hit a keystroke for a track marker.  then simply export the markers.  i've been doing that in a few different mac apps since 1999.  nothing clunky about that, and I don't really see how it could be faster. 

I'm not saying CD WAV sucks, I just don't see how trying to get a windows app to work on the mac is a "better" solution than having the native mac app that works the same or even better in some cases (more functionality if you want it)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 01:55:03 AM »

i click on a spot for a new track and hit a keystroke for a track marker.  then simply export the markers.  i've been doing that in a few different mac apps since 1999.  nothing clunky about that, and I don't really see how it could be faster. 

I'm not saying CD WAV sucks, I just don't see how trying to get a windows app to work on the mac is a "better" solution than having the native mac app that works the same or even better in some cases (more functionality if you want it)

agreed

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 03:11:59 AM »
i've been doing that in a few different mac apps since 1999.  nothing clunky about that, and I don't really see how it could be faster. 

Good UI design is a wonderful thing.  It rarely happens by chance.   It especially defies belief that a random selection of dated programs are all somehow equivalent at it.

Cdwave is designed to do one task very well..  Audacity pales in comparison.  Wavbreaker could match it, with some enhancements.  Those tools, like the others I have tried, require more steps and time to complete the task.

Doing the track split in the main processing program is ideal, but it is typically clunky in comparison.

Offline scb

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 09:53:05 AM »
Good UI design is a wonderful thing.  It rarely happens by chance.   It especially defies belief that a random selection of dated programs are all somehow equivalent at it.

Does this mean I'm making it up?

The ability to create a marker and then export the markers is not a complex thing.  Most apps have that ability.  The rest of the interface to do processing might be "clunky," but you don't have to deal with the rest of the interface to just make some markers and export.  If you really want to get CD Wav working in "OS X," I'm sure you can.  But you might find that other mac apps do it just as well. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 09:58:02 AM by scb »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com