Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Computer dorks (need processer/RAM advice on new DAW build)>  (Read 17911 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Re: Computer dorks (need processer/RAM advice on new DAW build)>
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 10:23:01 AM »
Just to give you an idea.  This machine would be a bit of overkill for what you are doing but would be a great Audio box and would be more than capable of Hd video editing and so on...

$1150
 Intel® Core™ i7-860 processor(8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
750GB1 - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3
Dell 1525 WLAN PCIe card with11n mini-Card & external antenna
20" Dell ST2010 HD Widescreen Monitor
2 Yr Ltd Warranty, On-site Service, and 2 Yr Tech Support

http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/desktops/studio-xps-8100/pd.aspx?refid=studio-xps-8100&s=bsd&cs=04&~oid=us~en~4~studio-xps-8100-cto3~~

If you wanted to add a second drive for audio work, not necessary if you are not doing serious multitrack, but you could see some performance improvement, a raw 1TB drive can be picked up for well under $100.

Thanks man, ended up pulling the trigger on almost that exact package last night. Final specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-860 processor(8MB Cache, 2.80GHz)
1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs

w/ a 20" monitor/keyboard/mouse

Total: $1,273.95
In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 10:47:09 AM »
I just went to a Core i7 based chip.  You will like it. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 05:12:03 PM »
You probably already know this, but you are going to need an internet card to activate most of the software and download drivers.

You'll need storage space, and external storage will not write as fast as internal SATA drives. 

You'll need either a fireware, USB or internal sound card-breakout box sound card.  Firewire is, of course, faster than USB and internal-breakout box have smaller latentcy than all of them.  Firewire takes up a card slot, right? 

Quad Core will make up a lot of difference rather than memory, but memory is cheaper.  I'd be tempted to go 2.8 to 3.3 Quad Core. 

I think I would go a full 4g of memory, although Windows7 64b can read more than 4g. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 06:01:46 PM »

Don't expect to buy a computer this week. just take your time and attempt to learn about all of this.

I mean, in an ideal world, yes, I'd have all kinds of time to learn about the technical stuff.  But this thing is going to be an instrument for me. If someone asks me for a recommendation on a guitar, I don't recommend they go build one. The building of one is a skill unto itself, separate from the skill of playing one. Race car drivers aren't mechanics. See what I'm saying?

Perhaps you should. If i had help, I would build one to learn the mechanics of it and understand the method of why they are made the way they are.

It sounds like a computer is a big part of your job and making music so it should be right in line with learning and understanding them at a fundamental level...for starting.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 05:37:49 PM »

Don't expect to buy a computer this week. just take your time and attempt to learn about all of this.

I mean, in an ideal world, yes, I'd have all kinds of time to learn about the technical stuff.  But this thing is going to be an instrument for me. If someone asks me for a recommendation on a guitar, I don't recommend they go build one. The building of one is a skill unto itself, separate from the skill of playing one. Race car drivers aren't mechanics. See what I'm saying?

Perhaps you should.

I am pretty sure that would just make me an asshole.

How about a piano player? You think they should build their own pianos?

My LMA Recordings

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »

Perhaps you should.

I am pretty sure that would just make me an asshole.

How about a piano player? You think they should build their own pianos?

haha. if you had the patients to teach and explain to me how to make a piano or guitar, I would call you many positive names--not an asshole.

I think we're digressing far from what I said and that is to just spend a little time and understand acronyms, meanings, and how things work on computers. perhaps its not your thing to learn but I enjoy it and especially enjoy it on new subjects.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 02:40:18 PM »
Before I BOUGHT my computer, I picked up several books on how to BUILD a computer, and finally understood relationships between MotherBoards and Processors, and Power Supplies and everything else, and fans and cooling, and finally and having direct connection to the Mother Board as opposed to sharing Interrupts. 

What I learned:  (1) MotherBoards are fungible and few are made specially for manufacturers, so if you like a system, chances are you can get the same MotherBoard.  (2) MotherBoards are the key to the system with set numbers of slots, USB connections, SATA connections, and other goodies such as built in video, sound and RAID; (3)  Cases are proprietary.  You might find a case which is similar, but not identical to the commerical computers; (4) Cases have everything to do with cooling and making the computer run well.  If you slap a M/B in a case and the case is not well designed for cooling, you'll need more, or more powerful fans, and then more power supply. (5) I like horizontally mounted cases, e.g., rack mount, which make everything more expensive. 

My vote is to BUY not BUILD a computer.
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 05:19:54 PM »
So, first issue just popped up.

I ordered Windows 7 64 bit because as I understand it, the main advantage of a 64 bit OS as opposed to a 32 bit OS is the ability to access more than 4 gigs of RAM. Since I paid to put 8gigs of RAM in this puppy, seems like running a 32 bit OS would be a waste.

So of course, I find out today that my audio interface does not play nice with 7/64bit. Not only that, but my sequencer is only a 32 bit app, so the extra RAM is useless for it as well (I think). So my OS choice is bunk for both my sequencer & my hardware.

Suggestions?  Should I downgrade to 4gig RAM or 32 bit OS? Is the RAM just going to waste if I have a 32 bit OS? I really do not want to get the box & sit around for 6 months waiting for drivers from Tascam.

My LMA Recordings

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 06:12:24 PM »
If you got windows 7 64 bit pro, you should be able to run programs/applications emulated in or as windows xp.

On second thought, you may not need the PRO:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 10:03:08 PM »
Every I/O that I looked at has drivers for 64b or even if they don't the old drivers work.  Example M-Audio Ultra USB and Pro Firewire.  I forget which one doesn't have a 64b driver, but the 32b works just fine.  Pretty much any Vista compatable I/O will work on 64b. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 02:18:30 AM »
If you're going to be doing trans-coding and rendering, think about going with a quad core.  I just put a system together using the AMD propus 620 and it is very fast and solid.  Do you have anyone close who could help you put one together?  Not just to save a buck, buy you can put exactly what you want in them.  I always put in a small fast disk for the system drive, then a program drive between 320 - 500gb, then one or two data drives 1terabyte +.  Setting up this way, you can easily back up your data.  Take your time, your going to be living with it a while and want it to be compatible... Good Luck.

John

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »
Red's right on.  I put on a small O/S and program drive, and buy a special small SATA that runs at 15krmp.  Being smaller and faster, the system will load much faster.  Then use large SATAs for data, media, and document storage. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
So, first issue just popped up.

I ordered Windows 7 64 bit because as I understand it, the main advantage of a 64 bit OS as opposed to a 32 bit OS is the ability to access more than 4 gigs of RAM. Since I paid to put 8gigs of RAM in this puppy, seems like running a 32 bit OS would be a waste.

So of course, I find out today that my audio interface does not play nice with 7/64bit. Not only that, but my sequencer is only a 32 bit app, so the extra RAM is useless for it as well (I think). So my OS choice is bunk for both my sequencer & my hardware.

Suggestions?  Should I downgrade to 4gig RAM or 32 bit OS? Is the RAM just going to waste if I have a 32 bit OS? I really do not want to get the box & sit around for 6 months waiting for drivers from Tascam.

The audio interface may be an issue.  Have you checked for updated drivers? Short of that running the Virtual XP will not resolve a driver related peripheral issue, just a particularly stubborn app.

As for the Sequencer not taking advantage of the additional RAM...  Not really a big deal.  It will still work fine.  I've had very good luck with compatibility in 7 and running the 64 bit OS still allows you to have additional RAM for apps that can take advantage of it. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 10:18:28 PM »
I actually got an email back from Tascam customer service within a couple hours (+t to them) saying that the drivers were in the last stage of QA, and barring any unforeseen issues they should be available in the next 30 days.  ;D

The computer isn't scheduled to be delivered until 4/26,l so hopefully the drivers are out before it gets here & it's not even an issue.

My LMA Recordings

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • beep boop
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 12:22:49 PM »
Update: So far, nothing but problems. Literally zero music making has been done, which is exactly what I was hoping to avoid. The Tascam driver (not sure if it's a beta or a supposedly stable release) is total garbage. I can barely even stream mp3's from the Archive with the driver. So, looks like it is time to downgrade to 32 bit or XP, since this was a total failure.

ADK may be 'overcharging', but I am pretty sure I would have at least gotten more than a $1300.00 web browser out of the deal. Never underestimate the value of expertise.

My LMA Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com