Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: burning a DVD from mp4/m4v files  (Read 8782 times)

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
burning a DVD from mp4/m4v files
« on: February 09, 2011, 12:01:59 PM »
I've got a couple of m4v/mp4 files that I would like to burn to a regular DVD.  I'd like to do this to be able to watch using a regular DVD player.

Any good software recommendations for this?  The m4v/mp4 files have chapters, and while it would be nice to keep them on the DVD, it's not really necessary.

Thanks.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
Re: burning a DVD from mp4/m4v files
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 02:25:55 PM »
The spec for a DVD to be played in a DVD player is standard definition video only 720 x 480 (not HD)and also must be an Mpeg-2 with either PCM audio or dolby digital(Ac3).You'll have to convert your files to mpeg-2 with proper audio.You can do this with the freeware.MPEGSTREAMCLIP,You can get it here.

http://www.squared5.com/

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 03:59:50 PM »
will that software create a VIDEO_TS folder with VOB files (and all other files needed)?  Or is the output just an mpeg-2 file?  If so, how do I then burn the mpeg-2 file to DVD?

thanks for the suggestion.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »
windows or mac?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 04:52:32 PM »
Just tried sone mp4 files in mpeg streamclip and it doesnt like them so forget i mentioned it.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 05:23:26 PM »

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 10:49:38 PM »
TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress. 

It will do everything you need to do.

Offline tonebloke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • What!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 12:45:38 AM »
Try convertXTODVD. May work.
Church Audio CA-11
Church Audio CAFS
Church Audio Bat2Box (X2)
Edirol R09-HR
Tascam DR2d

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:24:04 PM »
Before you burn a DVD *VIDEO* disc, see if your DVD player will read a mp4 or m4v file from a DVD *DATA* disc.  Mine does. 

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 09:31:33 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, though through my own searching, I came across DVD Flick:
http://www.dvdflick.net/

It seems to do everything I need, and it's freeware.  I'm encoding the first one as I write this.

Before you burn a DVD *VIDEO* disc, see if your DVD player will read a mp4 or m4v file from a DVD *DATA* disc.  Mine does.

That's good to know that some regular DVD players will play a mp4/m4v files from a DVD data disc.  However, it's not something I can test.  I don't even have a regular DVD player hooked up anymore.  instead, I have a small Dell Zino computer, hooked up to my TV via HDMI.  Most of the time, I just watch/listen to files stored on my 7.5 TB's of hard drives hooked up to it (or stream online).  sometimes, though I use the DVD drive to watch movies.  anyway, because it's a computer, of course it will read/play from a DVD data disc.  But I'd like to burn DVD-Video discs for a friend, who is less tech savvy.

I'll report back with how DVD Flick works out.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:51:20 AM »
in case anyone else is interested, "DVD Flick" worked, but with 2 issues.

1)  The video files I am starting with are widescreen, and the DVD made with DVD Flick is 4:3.  Thus, everything is distorted (i.e. people look very skinny), because the screen proportations were changed.  I can't find any option to change from 4:3 to the 16:9 widescreen, so I'm out of luck.

2)  It took 11 and a half hours on my computer at home to convert the mp4 file to a set a files in a VIDEO_TS folder that was ready to burn.  This is most likely not a fault of the program, however, and more of a result of my 8 year old desktop at home.

So, after a bit more looking around, I came across "DVDStyler".  I put this on my work computer (quad core Xeon W3530 with 12gigs of RAM), and I can convert the same mp4 file to a DVD image (.ISO file) in about 20-25 minutes.  Also, it lets me choose 16:9, so the end result looks much better as well.

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
So, after a bit more looking around, I came across "DVDStyler".  I put this on my work computer (quad core Xeon W3530 with 12gigs of RAM), and I can convert the same mp4 file to a DVD image (.ISO file) in about 20-25 minutes.  Also, it lets me choose 16:9, so the end result looks much better as well.

I just read this, thanks for the tip.  Encoding some mp4s now, thanks again.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com