Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: OSX:issues w/AirportExtreme & Hawking HAWNU2 speed/drops 2.4GHZ interference?  (Read 16767 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??

I have been able to run bit torrents as well as stream movies on netflix however recently in the past few weeks- I have had multiple repeated dropouts time outs and generally very slow connections
where I need to restart all the devices
including our netgear (charter provided) Cable modem/wireless router (Netgear CG814WG) sometimes even my iMac and force quitting firefox

--Ian

can you wife, on her macbook inside, still connect and browse the internet inside in the cases where a reboot is needed on your imac?

do you have the same wireless setup[ssid, key, etc] on each(netgear, airport) and one act as dhcp, the other relay?  or are both independent wireless hotspots/lans?

this is very interesting to me, as I have an airport also, with an old dsl modem...and i have the same problems, usually(90%) when i am running netflix...  i have just dealt with it.  what is very puzzling is, i have tried both wireless and wired connection to the airport, with same results.  AT&T says the connection is fine, and the modem(how they know i have know clue) is working properly...which leaves only the airport extreme as the problem.  I have 3x windows 7 comps[1 wired, 2 wireless], 1 macbook pro, android tab and ipad....its not related to any device...its the connection to the internet that dies....im still connected ot the airport fine(strong signal via wireless), but i have to reboot BOTH the aiport AND the modem to get it working again.

Ok so I think I understand your questions but may be over my head...
so here goes with what I can answer:I think we have  different SSID's but I'm not sure- they are separate networks with different MAC addresses- obviously.
So as an example We have different IPV4 addresses mine is 192.168.0.12 and wife's is 192.168.0.10
the router number is th esame on both 192.168.0.1 but my airport uses the 10.0.1.2 and 10.0.1.1 scheme

as far as if my wife's macbook  can connect when I restart my computer of Firefox, I believe so, but have not tried that. I do know that I usually just start at the shouce, by restaring (powercycling) the Netgear modem/wireless router, by unplugging it for a few minutes. - well not exactly often I quit the hawking HAWNU2 wireless utility, and restart that - sometimes that fixes my lazy connection issue- which may be I can not connect via safari or firefox to the internet, however I may still be connected uploading bitotrrents via my client Transmission.
sometimes I just change the  DHCP lease time from say 5 days to 4 days or vice versa, on the Airport and then update (restart) the Airport
if the two back end of the chain don't work then I go back to restarting the netgear device.

however I think my speeds are issues are really due to leaves on the trees coming in full thus causing reflections and interference at leat that's my hypothesis.

I did talk to a buddy that has a lightning quick fiber optic connection and he mentioned that netflix has issues of needing to reload often - he feels its on their end server or streaming  issues or the like.

don't know if that helps you or I answered your questions or not
but there you go
--Ian

ok..i think i got a better picture, and I don't think it matches my setup.
if i follow correctly, you are using your netgear for dhcp, and have the airport in bridge mode. 
I use my airport for dhcp(actually my only hotspot)
the ssid is the Name of your wireless hotspot, not the ip.
that being said...i am wondering about part of your setup (and it could just be my ignorance of using aiport as bridge), but you say the iMac in the garage has a 192. ip address, but the airport has a 10.xx.   I am wondering if your iMac is connecting to the netgear instead of the Airport.  This could be misunderstanding, if your airport DHCP is turned off(in which case the 10.xx is just a leftover /artifact you are seeing in configuration, and not actually being used)

might be something to check on tho...without seeing your airport settings...i can't really say.

one last thought.  if you are using your netgear, and its a relic, for DHCP, you might think about using it JUST as a modem, and letting the airport handle all the nat/lan work instead of just being a hotspot. 

having 2 different wireless hotspots complicates things.  if you are set on using two (for better/more coverage area) one dhcp should be turned off, and the cable connecting them should run from any port NOT labeled WAN into a similar port on the other.   Then, set both SSID(wireless name), key, channel, etc exactly the same on both wireless devices(hotspots)

you may already be setup correctly, i don't know..but if not, it would def help.
honestly, unless the leaves are REALLY heavy, it should cause much of a problem.  there will be some speed loss, but shouldn't be that great.  the airport(mine) can go from one end of my house to the other (through at least  5 walls with NO direct line of site) and still give a 2bar signal on my macbook.  i do lose some speed as opposed to sitting in same room, but not that bad.  My connection issues (keeping the connection to the outside internet) is my issue.  And that, is what i was seeing as 1 aspect of your issue.  I do think your connection and speed issues are most likely unrelated, esp since the connection gets fubard, but transmission still running.

just as a follow up, have you tried using uTorrent instead of transmission just to see if that changes it at all?  maybe its a client problem?  have you ensured all the correct ports are fwd correctly (possibly on both hotspots)?
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI

I have been able to run bit torrents as well as stream movies on netflix however recently in the past few weeks- I have had multiple repeated dropouts time outs and generally very slow connections
where I need to restart all the devices
including our netgear (charter provided) Cable modem/wireless router (Netgear CG814WG) sometimes even my iMac and force quitting firefox

--Ian

can you wife, on her macbook inside, still connect and browse the internet inside in the cases where a reboot is needed on your imac?

do you have the same wireless setup[ssid, key, etc] on each(netgear, airport) and one act as dhcp, the other relay?  or are both independent wireless hotspots/lans?

this is very interesting to me, as I have an airport also, with an old dsl modem...and i have the same problems, usually(90%) when i am running netflix...  i have just dealt with it.  what is very puzzling is, i have tried both wireless and wired connection to the airport, with same results.  AT&T says the connection is fine, and the modem(how they know i have know clue) is working properly...which leaves only the airport extreme as the problem.  I have 3x windows 7 comps[1 wired, 2 wireless], 1 macbook pro, android tab and ipad....its not related to any device...its the connection to the internet that dies....im still connected ot the airport fine(strong signal via wireless), but i have to reboot BOTH the aiport AND the modem to get it working again.

Ok so I think I understand your questions but may be over my head...
so here goes with what I can answer:I think we have  different SSID's but I'm not sure- they are separate networks with different MAC addresses- obviously.
So as an example We have different IPV4 addresses mine is 192.168.0.12 and wife's is 192.168.0.10
the router number is th esame on both 192.168.0.1 but my airport uses the 10.0.1.2 and 10.0.1.1 scheme

as far as if my wife's macbook  can connect when I restart my computer of Firefox, I believe so, but have not tried that. I do know that I usually just start at the shouce, by restaring (powercycling) the Netgear modem/wireless router, by unplugging it for a few minutes. - well not exactly often I quit the hawking HAWNU2 wireless utility, and restart that - sometimes that fixes my lazy connection issue- which may be I can not connect via safari or firefox to the internet, however I may still be connected uploading bitotrrents via my client Transmission.
sometimes I just change the  DHCP lease time from say 5 days to 4 days or vice versa, on the Airport and then update (restart) the Airport
if the two back end of the chain don't work then I go back to restarting the netgear device.

however I think my speeds are issues are really due to leaves on the trees coming in full thus causing reflections and interference at leat that's my hypothesis.

I did talk to a buddy that has a lightning quick fiber optic connection and he mentioned that netflix has issues of needing to reload often - he feels its on their end server or streaming  issues or the like.

don't know if that helps you or I answered your questions or not
but there you go
--Ian

ok..i think i got a better picture, and I don't think it matches my setup.
if i follow correctly, you are using your netgear for dhcp, and have the airport in bridge mode. 
I use my airport for dhcp(actually my only hotspot)
the ssid is the Name of your wireless hotspot, not the ip.
that being said...i am wondering about part of your setup (and it could just be my ignorance of using aiport as bridge), but you say the iMac in the garage has a 192. ip address, but the airport has a 10.xx.   I am wondering if your iMac is connecting to the netgear instead of the Airport.  This could be misunderstanding, if your airport DHCP is turned off(in which case the 10.xx is just a leftover /artifact you are seeing in configuration, and not actually being used)

might be something to check on tho...without seeing your airport settings...i can't really say.

one last thought.  if you are using your netgear, and its a relic, for DHCP, you might think about using it JUST as a modem, and letting the airport handle all the nat/lan work instead of just being a hotspot. 

having 2 different wireless hotspots complicates things.  if you are set on using two (for better/more coverage area) one dhcp should be turned off, and the cable connecting them should run from any port NOT labeled WAN into a similar port on the other.   Then, set both SSID(wireless name), key, channel, etc exactly the same on both wireless devices(hotspots)

you may already be setup correctly, i don't know..but if not, it would def help.
honestly, unless the leaves are REALLY heavy, it should cause much of a problem.  there will be some speed loss, but shouldn't be that great.  the airport(mine) can go from one end of my house to the other (through at least  5 walls with NO direct line of site) and still give a 2bar signal on my macbook.  i do lose some speed as opposed to sitting in same room, but not that bad.  My connection issues (keeping the connection to the outside internet) is my issue.  And that, is what i was seeing as 1 aspect of your issue.  I do think your connection and speed issues are most likely unrelated, esp since the connection gets fubard, but transmission still running.

just as a follow up, have you tried using uTorrent instead of transmission just to see if that changes it at all?  maybe its a client problem?  have you ensured all the correct ports are fwd correctly (possibly on both hotspots)?

Ok thank you so much BJ
here is some of the info , I do not have my Airport set in Bridge mode

I have not tried utorrent-
I do use DCHP in my Airport

here are some settings pics I share with anopthe rto help set up and forward ports:

mostly that's how I still have it set up

I am thinking about pruning a "tunnel"  this weekend from my Hawking antenna site to the house and see if that helps
but overall I do think I am gonna trench an Euithernet  CAT6 cable from the house to the garage - that way I can bypass the hawking ( and sell it) and run in 5GHZ  so I can get direct faster speed,
jut not looking forward to trenching under at lease 2 or 3 sidewalks....

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline ArchivalAudio

weird I had issues with the airport it some how rest to default - initial settigns while power cycling
I re did it all
and now at least that this moment am no tusing th ehawking antenna (unplugged it) and got this
speed test

so maybe there was an issues with the airport?
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak

Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
I'm a little confused by something.

Screenshot 5 shows TCP/IP address of 192.168.0.12 but the next screenshot has the DHCP on 10.0.1.2 and then the second to last picture shows 10.0.1.2.

is this because you're using one router to rebroadcast the signal for the internet to the garage?

What are you inital settings?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline ArchivalAudio

I'm a little confused by something.

Screenshot 5 shows TCP/IP address of 192.168.0.12 but the next screenshot has the DHCP on 10.0.1.2 and then the second to last picture shows 10.0.1.2.

is this because you're using one router to rebroadcast the signal for the internet to the garage?

What are you inital settings?

192.168.0.12 is the Airport - connection to the Netgear router, via Ethernet WAN
10.0.1.2 is the scheme I use on the Airport to  connect via DCHP wirelessly

not sure I totally understand it either- it's just how it works and I can forward my ports on the Aiport

what do you mean by initial settings?

~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
Actually, that's what you said, weird I had issues with the airport it some how rest to default - initial settigns while power cycling.

So you have

---ethernet----cable modem-----netgear router-----airport----computers.

Or is the netgear really a cable modem?

It looks like you have a really complicated setup which is causing the bad internet connection. In all honesty, I would disable DHCP and setup static IPs assigned from the router to the machines and have it use those IPs.

I have two routers: one connected to the cable modem and the other connected to a port on the router to allow wireless access. One of the routers has an IP phone plugged into it and the wireless devices connect to it and for the other router, its connected to the switch with all the other devices. The iphone can retain a good signal well outside the house and the router it connects to is only b and g speeds at 2.4 ghz.

I do know the wii that we use to watch netflix on NEEDS a line of sight to connect to the internet (much less watch netflix) so we have it hidden away and it retains fast loading times. What do you use to watch netflix in the garage?

I'm linking the following articles for educational purposes only as I doubt the airport support ddwrt:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline ArchivalAudio

So here si the deal (at least in my mind)
we have Charter (aka Comcast)
we have this netgear cable modem that is also a wireless router (rented) supplied from Charter.
one of the 4 Ethernet outs goes from the Wireless section  the router portion of the netgear
to my Airport
which now in 2.4 ghz n  I seem to be getting ok speeds Its just by using iStumbler I can see my signal strength is only at about 19% though I can see the 5ghz network too - maybe I'll try to connect to that?
I have not had luck in the past

this all occurred today after laving horrid slow connections and some how after power cycling the Airport it reset to default setting with out a name and no security .

so I go like this
NetGear Cable Modem/Wireless --> Ethernet --> Airport (at 2.4Ghz n) in house --> iMac (in garage)

the netgear router portion only gets b/g speeds - as does my old airport (spaceship style) not in use

does that help?

EDIT:
nope now I could not connect w/o plugging in my Hawking antenna
and I could NOT find an airport device using airport alone and the Airport Utility
until I replugged in the Hawking USB antenna
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:25:49 PM by ArchivalAudio »
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline ArchivalAudio

ok so over night  while tryoing to DL a BT of last nights Phish show
every thing disconnected
this morning I could not connect with only the Hawking on (and Airport off- this is how it should be done)  could not even find the Airport via the Airport Utility
so after quitting both programs (airport utility & Hawking utility) and trying to reconnect with just the hawking - no go = I unplugged the USB from the hawking
then needed to  turn apple airport on to connect to either
in the attached jpg
you'll see both connected at very slow rates the top connection with the better signal is the hawking and the erratic signal is just the airport connection.

the good news is that I have some Ethernet  cable and surge protectors on the way and will run a trial or that with the airport in the garage, before trenching the yard .
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
Really odd situation all the way around and it seems to be really hard troubleshooting. When other computers are connected directly to the modem, do they maintain decent speeds? I doubt the internet speeds have any relation to the OS but have you tried any other oS like windows or mac?

When the ethernet cable comes in I would advise testing from the modem to the garage and from airport to the garage to see if there is any difference in speeds. Do you have a different modem you can try out in the equasion? Have you contacted the ISP?

i know you just want to maintain great speeds in the garage and I would be really frustrated with all of this too. Good job on all the troubleshooting you've done.

edit: just out of curiosity, are you able to see any other wireless networks in your area? In my area I see ten different ones and if they were not all locked, I'm pretty sure I would be able to connect to them without any problem.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:30:40 PM by rastasean »

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • They're baaack! ??
AA

I still think some of the problem is coming from going through NAT 2x...

the first is on your netgear...it is giving out an IP and doing NAT in the 192.168 range.
next, your airport is giving out its own IP and doing NAT again in the 10. range.

if you could somehow turn off DHCP on the airport, and make sure that the ethernet cable is plugged into a LAN port on the airport from a LAN on the netgear

you can still assign a static ip on the comp in the garage, its just going to need a 192 ip address.  All of you BT configuration will need to be on the netgear also for that static ip.  But, you can just test speeds first before configuring bt on the netgear, just to see if setting up as a relay to the netgear works.
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
I think the reason it has a 192.168.x.x and then a 10.x address is because its not setup in a access point manner and the 10.x router knows it can't be on the same subnet. Technically the static IP would need to be assigned at the router and passed to the computer.

Offline ArchivalAudio

so yes I am Double NAT'ed however  using  http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and the port check tool in Transmission both show my ports as open. This never has affected my speeds while the computer and Airport were both in the house.
I could not before figure out the static ip and bridge mode
all of the  online instructions show using DCHP to configure a Static IP on Apples Airport Extreme, and there is not much new info as it it mostly on older versions and old OSX versions as well.

the plan in the near furure is to get a new modem - I'm thinking a DOCSIS 2.0 or may be a 3.0, that would be compatible with charter . nets system.
right not the netgear modem/wireless router is the only way we can connect to the RG6 coax.

here are a whole slew of links that have helped me get my stuff set up:
Double NAT:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1208
http://support.iprimus.com.au/index.php?Itemid=214&id=517&option=com_content&task=view
Forward ports:
https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8888
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=124166
http://portforward.com/networking/static-Mac10.4.htm
http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-port-forwarding-on-a-airport-extreme-time-capsule/

http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/static_port_fwd_portfwd.html

Static IP:
http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/static_port_fwd_staticip.html  find IP: http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/static_port_fwd_externalip.html

this one is interesting- I'll need to revist, as it deals with connection drops in Snow Leopard OSX 10.6
http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/01/how-i-fixed-my-dropping-wireless-airport-connection-problem-in-snow-leopard/

^^^^ that's more than you need to read
but they have helped me to get my ports open and forwarded and Static IP - and all that.

--Ian

~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

Offline BJ

• They're baaack! ??
so yes I am Double NAT'ed however  using  http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and the port check tool in Transmission both show my ports as open. This never has affected my speeds while the computer and Airport were both in the house.
I could not before figure out the static ip and bridge mode
all of the  online instructions show using DCHP to configure a Static IP on Apples Airport Extreme, and there is not much new info as it it mostly on older versions and old OSX versions as well.

the plan in the near furure is to get a new modem - I'm thinking a DOCSIS 2.0 or may be a 3.0, that would be compatible with charter . nets system.
right not the netgear modem/wireless router is the only way we can connect to the RG6 coax.

here are a whole slew of links that have helped me get my stuff set up:
Double NAT:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1208
http://support.iprimus.com.au/index.php?Itemid=214&id=517&option=com_content&task=view
Forward ports:
https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8888
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=124166
http://portforward.com/networking/static-Mac10.4.htm
http://gigaom.com/apple/how-to-port-forwarding-on-a-airport-extreme-time-capsule/

http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/static_port_fwd_portfwd.html

Static IP:
http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/static_port_fwd_staticip.html  find IP: http://homepage.mac.com/car1son/static_port_fwd_externalip.html

this one is interesting- I'll need to revist, as it deals with connection drops in Snow Leopard OSX 10.6
http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/01/how-i-fixed-my-dropping-wireless-airport-connection-problem-in-snow-leopard/

^^^^ that's more than you need to read
but they have helped me to get my ports open and forwarded and Static IP - and all that.

--Ian

ian...i understand the double NAT..and thats why i brought it up.  In the first link for double NAT you sent, it recommends to set your airport to bridge mode, but in your screen shots, its not set that way.  I was hoping there was a way to go even further to simplify your network, and turn ffn DHCP on the airport...but, I am not sure how to do it...  Some things on the interwebs say its possible, some say it's not...others say when its in bridge mode, that DHCP isn't working (this would be best in your situation I think)

the last option on this page has DHCP and NAT turned on.

i want to reiterate...my thinking is not aligned to your speed problems...i can't begin to think about what is cuasing those problems..they may or may not be related to the connection problems.  I do believe, however that the double NAT is a problem.  Even the links you sent seem to say that, and recommend to set one of the two translaters(routers) to bridge mode(turn off dhcp and NAT)
Auditory
it's magic 

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
good advice BJ!

I also don't know about the airport but double NAT, unless it is necessary, is never a good idea. I also doubt its related to the speeds but it sure would be a lot cleaner if all the routers, computers, and other wireless devices were on the same subnet using the same router IP. Perhaps mac forums can help with the specifics on this router.

As far as speeds, can you describe the area and explain where the router is and what's around it? Once I had my linksys IP phone near the router and the wii wouldn't connect wirelessly so I just moved the phone and it connected without issues. I just remember reading that trees and leaves are interfering with the line of sight but what about in the garage, is the insulation open or is it covered? Know if it uses metal studs or wooden ones? Are any devices near things like radios, phones, power supplies, refrigerators,  air conditioners, etc.

Offline ArchivalAudio

good advice BJ!

I also don't know about the airport but double NAT, unless it is necessary, is never a good idea. I also doubt its related to the speeds but it sure would be a lot cleaner if all the routers, computers, and other wireless devices were on the same subnet using the same router IP. Perhaps mac forums can help with the specifics on this router.

As far as speeds, can you describe the area and explain where the router is and what's around it? Once I had my linksys IP phone near the router and the wii wouldn't connect wirelessly so I just moved the phone and it connected without issues. I just remember reading that trees and leaves are interfering with the line of sight but what about in the garage, is the insulation open or is it covered? Know if it uses metal studs or wooden ones? Are any devices near things like radios, phones, power supplies, refrigerators,  air conditioners, etc.

thanx to both of the past  2 replies:
I understand that Charter uses an dynamic ip, but may be I could run in bridge modes - peviously I could not figure out how to have a static IP or forward ports. I'll look into it again.

As far as line of sight - there are trees in the way and the speed issues seem to have started once the leaves on the apple came on full.
the Hawking antenna is aimed out the garage window mounted about 3" in front of the glass and it is aimed at the spot on the house where the Aiprot is - directly behind the wall in a closet in our bedroom.
the other network (the netgear modem/router) in the house is in the front bedroom about 30' away which is where my Ethernet is plugged into. the deal is that the set up worked great from December until about may1st.
have had charter come out 2x
also rewired  a brand new RG6 quad shielded gold end from the outside the house to the modem.
the garage is wood as is the house
I do have reflectix insulation http://www.reflectixinc.com/
on all the interior walls of the garage over R-13 fiberglass.
I expect my 75' CAT6 cable and surge protecors  to arrive on may31st.
I am going to try that just out the window, (grounded) over the ground to the garage door, with the second surge  protector, grounded and run the airport in the garage, before I bury it in conduit in the ground. I will  try both 2.4ghz and 5ghz
my speeds should likely increase and I will have a true network in the garage- for future purposes.

--Ian
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com