Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Soundforge/Wavelab/Samplitude/Reaper which to buy?  (Read 11701 times)

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Soundforge/Wavelab/ProTools which to buy?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 04:53:29 PM »
SoundForge vote here.

Offline ethan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 05:33:29 PM »
Reaper sure does seem interesting. $60 is VERY attractive. Leaves extra money in the bank for plugins. They're upgrade policy is also cool. I'll probably give this a trial.

I'm going to give a Sound Forge 10 pro trial a go. The mastering functionality added to 10 from 9 seems like many of the third party plugins I'm looking at would not be necessary.

Looked at the Wavelab machine requirements. My laptop is too close to the minimums.
COtapers.org - "We're higher than your average taper"

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 05:57:17 PM »
Something to remember about SF10.  The iZotope Ozone plugins are now built it.  No need for a third party mastering plugin.

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »
Something to remember about SF10.  The iZotope Ozone plugins are now built it.  No need for a third party mastering plugin.

yep...that's the main thing that is swaying me towards SF10

Offline kcmule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2011, 09:03:44 AM »
The time it takes when applied is a headache (30 min to 1 hour)and if your not happy with the results you wasted your time. 

Didn't SF used to be this way as well?  I've not used it in a long time, hopefully
that is not still the case.  If it is still the case, yuck.

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2011, 11:42:43 AM »
The time it takes when applied is a headache (30 min to 1 hour)and if your not happy with the results you wasted your time. 

Didn't SF used to be this way as well?  I've not used it in a long time, hopefully
that is not still the case.  If it is still the case, yuck.

Another reason why I'm getting away from audacity. I'm working on Jam Cruise this year and will have to master 4 sets per night for 5 nights to nugs.net specs. That's a s*** load of processing. No way I could do this with audacity. I've got about 2 months to figure out my workflow but if I have to spend an hour per set I'll be working 12 hour shifts anything more I'm f***ed.

I'm forgoing multi-channel and going to do a live 2-track mix down using my Soundcraft mixer. I'll have to record it at 24/96, normalize/compress, quantize to 16/44, track/tag then convert to MP3 and flac. In addition I'll have to create a non tracked continuous  MP3 for the JCTV which plays in the cabins the next day.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »
on cheap hardware 3 year old $500 machine, I'm getting 10-1 ratio in rendering time 2 track 48-24 down to 44-16 wav, with mastering bus limiter and parallel compression. Reaper also has a render queue which would be helpful in a festival workflow. Multitracking is solid, my friend does 16 and 24 tracks onto a mid-range dell laptop with it.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2011, 02:54:39 PM »
I've got about 2 months to figure out my workflow but if I have to spend an hour per set I'll be working 12 hour shifts anything more I'm f***ed.

One of the best workflow features in SF10 is the Batch Converter.  I used to spend time scripting to get my big workflows done.  Now Batch Converter takes care of most of that work.

As I am sure there are ways on other pieces of software here is my real quick workflow with BC.

open file > adjust levels on each channel > fade in and outs > File>Tools>Batch Converter.     

From the Batch Converter menu I can now add multiple processes together. 

Start with the iZotope Bit Depth plugin, add iZotope resampling, add additional preferred VST > save as source resolution and save a second copy of the dithered resample version.   

Once you get the levels and fades in then the time consuming part of processing and saving gets automated at one time.   So do your initial levels, set it, forget it and come back later and its done.

Offline kcmule

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2011, 03:44:30 PM »
One of the most flexible aspects of Samplitude, that I have found, is the object-based editing.
You can split a track into multiple objects and apply effects on a per-object basis.  Extremely
useful in the multitrack environment and really pretty damn cool  :P

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2011, 04:29:40 PM »
One of the most flexible aspects of Samplitude, that I have found, is the object-based editing.
You can split a track into multiple objects and apply effects on a per-object basis.  Extremely

How is this better than splitting a track, and moving the new piece to a different track? Then it's a new object with it's own gain, fx chain, etc.? That's how I would do the same in Reaper. Or am I missing something?

Offline kcmule

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 05:01:44 PM »

How is this better than splitting a track, and moving the new piece to a different track? Then it's a new object with it's own gain, fx chain, etc.? That's how I would do the same in Reaper. Or am I missing something?

I guess the end result is the same but Samplitude works in a virtual environment (VIP projects
do not change the orginal files).  One example where I've used this in a recent multitrack:  Vocal
banter between tracks is low and I'd like to raise the gain so you can hear what the person is
saying.  So I split each section of banter into thier own objects.  Crossfades are applied by default.
I can apply the effect or gain on a per-object basis or I can route the objects to an AUX and apply
the effects/gain for those objects where the same modifications are desired.  Does that help?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 05:35:42 PM »
All possible in Reaper, in the end workflow is often a matter of taste. Will have to check out Samplitude and see which I prefer.

Offline kcmule

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 05:42:02 PM »
I used Reaper for the trial period.  It was tons better than Wavelab (again, for
multitrack work).  As I mentioned before, the lack of EQ's on the strip in Reaper
seemed really odd to me.  I've picked up Samplitude pretty quick, much faster
than other applications I've toyed with over the last few years.  The little bit I
did with Reaper was also fairly straight forward.

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 10:29:39 AM »
what is your goal?  there are VST plugins in Audacity.
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline ethan

• Go Buffs!
    • COTapers.org
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 12:06:37 PM »

Played with SF10 last night. Crazy amount of functionality spend most of my time in the help. Still feeling my way around.

I did manage to run some 24/96 wavs through. I'm impressed with how snappy and fast it is. Most processing took just a couple minutes including word length reduction,

The Izotope 64 MBIT+ SRC with the highest quality settings however took 45 min on and 1:20 minute set. This is real good compared to audacity but I hope I can get by with lower quality settings or just recording 24/44.

I found the CD tracking cumbersome. Still don't know how to chop up the WAV's,save/name individual tracks and do multiple CD sets. Lot to learn.

Played with Wave Hammer. Works well and is fast. I just bypassed the compressor and worked with the volume maximizer. I couldn't figure out how to navigate around the WAV to preview. Preview just starts at the beginning of the WAV.

Will probably work with Reaper trial on the same data over the weekend.

Anyone know if the Samplitude trial is fully functional?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com