Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?  (Read 108650 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Marantz PMD-706 Six Channel Recorder?
« Reply #330 on: March 14, 2019, 08:55:35 PM »

I'm not truly positive that the minimum gain is actually +28 dB from front end to ADC. A lot of speculation when this recorder was first released was based on it being totally unusable in concert recording applications based on that number.

In really loud situations I run MIC in on low and have to crank the gain knobs to 50 - 75% to get usable levels (for me between -12 and -6dB)  with my Schoeps MK41 that are 16 mV/Pa - so about the same as your Avantones.

If the machine actually adds +28dB at the minimum gain settings (LOW, knobs turned all the way down) it would be way too sensitive at concert volume but that's not my experience at all. Even if it does, which I doubt, my Grace V3 added ~25 dB of fixed gain to the analog outputs no matter what the settings and I often ran the gain knobs higher than zero even on loud sources.

I guess I've been lucky and not had any issues other than the same early power loss probs that were finally resolved.

Maybe I can figure out what the minimum gain on each setting truly is by sending a regulated test tone somehow.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #331 on: March 14, 2019, 09:43:46 PM »

Maybe I can figure out what the minimum gain on each setting truly is by sending a regulated test tone somehow.

This sounds simple in theory but somewhat difficult in practice.

Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #332 on: March 15, 2019, 01:16:27 AM »

Could be. It's more of a curiosity for me since I don't have any issue running the deck.

Early on when the Tascam DR60d was released we figured out the differences in sensitivity on the sets of inputs based on a test tone from a cable tester which helped people decide whether or not to try to run a SBD feed into the 3/4 channels and how to set the gain.

A lot of taping shows is a guessing game and it doesn't always pan out when you are trying new gear combinations - the Line Audio CM3 doesn't work with the PMD661, the Peluso mics have problems with the SD 7xx series...

Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #333 on: March 15, 2019, 01:44:15 AM »

Could be. It's more of a curiosity for me since I don't have any issue running the deck.

Early on when the Tascam DR60d was released we figured out the differences in sensitivity on the sets of inputs based on a test tone from a cable tester which helped people decide whether or not to try to run a SBD feed into the 3/4 channels and how to set the gain.

A lot of taping shows is a guessing game and it doesn't always pan out when you are trying new gear combinations - the Line Audio CM3 doesn't work with the PMD661, the Peluso mics have problems with the SD 7xx series...

I’m down  to try this, depending on what would be needed to do it. I’m planning to talk to Wforwumbo about some of the numbers sometime soon,  I’ll bring it up with him then.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #334 on: March 15, 2019, 01:52:24 AM »

He is pursuing a doctorate in acoustics or something similar so he is certainly more qualified than most of us to run the numbers. Or at least have an idea of how to proceed.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #335 on: March 16, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »

Used my 706 last night to record stage lip at the local brewery - real chomper stronghold. Rock solid running the MBHO subcards with PFA.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #336 on: March 16, 2019, 01:53:23 PM »

He is pursuing a doctorate in acoustics or something similar so he is certainly more qualified than most of us to run the numbers. Or at least have an idea of how to proceed.

As of this week he’s now Dr. W. Forwumbo.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #337 on: March 16, 2019, 08:06:01 PM »

As of this week he’s now Dr. W. Forwumbo.

He didn't spend six years in Evil Medical School to be called MISTER Wforwumbo.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #338 on: March 24, 2019, 02:58:16 AM »
Anyone know if there’s a way to fast forward quickly through a file? I can only get it to go around 3x speed.

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #339 on: March 24, 2019, 08:16:08 PM »
Anyone know if there’s a way to fast forward quickly through a file? I can only get it to go around 3x speed.

Same here. Nothing in the manual that I can find either. I wish they had used the enter button/jog wheel to scan through a file like on other recorders.

It's only a pain for me when I'm traveling after a show and want to listen in the car.

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #340 on: March 24, 2019, 08:41:20 PM »

Same here. Nothing in the manual that I can find either. I wish they had used the enter button/jog wheel to scan through a file like on other recorders.

It's only a pain for me when I'm traveling after a show and want to listen in the car.

Exactly the situation for which I'm wanting quicker transport. Guess I'll just continue to sit in my car and hold down FF for 10 minutes...or press record a bit later...

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #341 on: June 22, 2019, 09:40:10 AM »

So Thursday night I'm recording stage lip mics and a board feed for Johnny Vidacovitch Trio who's guest that night is Vaylor Trucks (the blond kid on the front of the Brothers and Sisters album) and had some trouble. During set break I went over to the deck and hit stop. Left everything powered on since I had plenty of battery and backup AAs in. I was on the patio when they unexpectedly started the second set and I jogged over to the bag to start it back up and the SAVING message was there and deck was locked. Pulling the USB didn't do anything and I couldn't take the rig apart and pull the AAs out to reset the thing since my bag was on the stage right in front of V Trucks, cables were taped down and it would have created too much of a scene. Additionally, it was his birthday and he was very excited about getting a copy of the show. It did save the first set just without writing file headers correctly.

This thing has let me down too many times even though it's been rock solid since the firmware update till now. I'm moving to something else.

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #342 on: June 22, 2019, 11:08:07 AM »

So Thursday night I'm recording stage lip mics and a board feed for Johnny Vidacovitch Trio who's guest that night is Vaylor Trucks (the blond kid on the front of the Brothers and Sisters album) and had some trouble. During set break I went over to the deck and hit stop. Left everything powered on since I had plenty of battery and backup AAs in. I was on the patio when they unexpectedly started the second set and I jogged over to the bag to start it back up and the SAVING message was there and deck was locked. Pulling the USB didn't do anything and I couldn't take the rig apart and pull the AAs out to reset the thing since my bag was on the stage right in front of V Trucks, cables were taped down and it would have created too much of a scene. Additionally, it was his birthday and he was very excited about getting a copy of the show. It did save the first set just without writing file headers correctly.

This thing has let me down too many times even though it's been rock solid since the firmware update till now. I'm moving to something else.

I feel ya.  There's only a issue with the recording that someone wants.  The dozens before that with no issues just sit on the HD! Go figure.   Ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline ycoop

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #343 on: June 24, 2019, 01:03:40 AM »

I'm with you, thing is just too unreliable. I've moved on (well technically back to my previous deck) as well.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #344 on: June 24, 2019, 06:19:45 PM »

OMG! That’s terrible. I feel so bad for you. I got rid of mine two weeks after I bought it. I would never have taken this POS in the field, even with a firmware update. Sorry.

If you’re looking for a budget priced four channel recorder, try the Tascam DR 70d. Never had an issue with mine. Budgets not a concern. SD Mixpre 6.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com