Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM D-100, do the limiters work on line input signals?  (Read 2680 times)

Offline stuartprovine

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony PCM D-100, do the limiters work on line input signals?
« on: April 12, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »
Hi All,

Just considering a scenario where I'm running an outboard preamp that lacks limiters into the Sony recorder.  Do the Sony's limiters function when using the line inputs?

Thank you in advance for any replies,
Stuart

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM D-100, do the limiters work on line input signals?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 04:02:45 PM »
Hi All,

Just considering a scenario where I'm running an outboard preamp that lacks limiters into the Sony recorder.  Do the Sony's limiters function when using the line inputs?

Thank you in advance for any replies,
Stuart

From the manual, it appears you can use the D100's limiter with an external analog input to the line in, but not with a digital input, i.e., from a USBPre2 preamp, for example.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline stuartprovine

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sony PCM D-100, do the limiters work on line input signals?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 07:08:06 PM »
From the manual, it appears you can use the D100's limiter with an external analog input to the line in, but not with a digital input, i.e., from a USBPre2 preamp, for example.

Ah, that answer is exactly what I wanted to hear.  Hopefully that's the case.  I did skim the manual, but I must have missed the portion you mention.  Good news.  Thank you!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com