Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: power cords  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
power cords
« on: March 18, 2004, 10:40:07 AM »
I finally broke down and upgraded the power cords in my system and wow I never thought it would make that much difference.  Seems to improve the detail, imaging, "blacker" background.  I have a SignalCable "magic power" on my integrated amp, AudioQuest NG1 on my cd/dvd player.  The cable on my integraded definitely made a bigger impact than the cd/dvd.

Anyone else using after-market power cords?  What components?  Worthwhile upgrade?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
Re:power cords
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 11:17:24 AM »
Chris VenHaus PCs in my rig made an immediate difference on the D/A.  A noticable but less startling difference between the balanced power supply and the wall.  I highly recommend chris's cables.  www.venhaus1.com  You can DIY or buy them constructed.  I did not get the cryo'd stuff - just the regular ones and they are great.

Did you also upgrade your A/C outlet?  Thats cheap (~15$) and effective.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 11:23:30 AM »
Did you also upgrade your A/C outlet?  Thats cheap (~15$) and effective.

I didn't, but I'm interested.  Do you have the P&S outlets that ChrisVH sells?
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 12:03:46 PM »
no, that's next.  My outlets were 27yo, so just new ones from homedepot made for a much better grip on the cable.  I attribute some of the PC improvement to that.

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 03:29:35 PM »
over on headfi.org they are having a group buy on hospital grade power cords for only $12 a piece, sounds like a great deal, I got 2, lemme know if you want more details
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

KC5

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 10:27:24 PM »
i've always wondered where it ends.  power cords plug into a socket--socket is wired to the panel, which is wired to the pole out in the street.  i'm still at the speaker cable stage ;D

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 12:40:00 AM »
dedicated circuit boxes. dig up some discussions of power conditioners and the like... it gets silly ;D

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 09:40:45 AM »
with AC, it usually ends with dedicated lines/mains box and a dedicated ground.  The reason for the dedicated line is to get the gear on a leg as far away from motors and lamps that introduce noise on the AC.  

Replacing outlets is done to get certain metals out of the path (I have less faith in this) and to ensure a tight connection between the outlet and the power cable to your gear.  The better the contact and the more surface area of the contact patch, the better current flow you get.

The most extreme is power regeneration.  You can buy a box that runs off unfiltered wall AC and regenerates pure noise free 120V AC out the other side.

It can get out of control sometimes.  But I can honestly say that power cords and a balanced power filter made a distinct difference in the amount of bass and eliminated background noise in my system that I didn't even realize was there until it was gone.  But my system is just above the level that will reveal changes like that.  For alot of people it makes more sense to spend money on gear first.  

If you are already trying and hearing the difference in speaker cables, you've already got one foot an a very slippery path.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com