Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: diy interconnect thoughts?  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
diy interconnect thoughts?
« on: April 30, 2004, 08:55:15 PM »
now that my playback is complete i'd like to make some new interconnects to replace the radio shack and monster cables i've been using.  i'd planned on using some canare starquad for them but now i'm thinking i'd like to try something a bit more exotic, any suggestions?  i'd like to stick w/ copper cable but other than that i'm open to suggestions.  thanks in advance.

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:diy interconnect thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 10:27:26 PM »
i know the belkin cable gets a lot of good reviews.  i might suggest looking for ideas over at www.audioasylum.com

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 10:59:32 PM »
Nick,

Check out

http://www.homegrownaudio.com/

I just bought some RCA connectors from them to modify an existing Presto II cable of mine, but they sell bulk silver speaker wire as well...

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 11:42:29 PM »
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 12:39:39 AM »
oh also, i just got some cables from www.bettercables.com

this guy is the bomb.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 01:07:30 AM »
thanks for all the input, i think i'm going to try the chris ven haus recipe with some ofc copper or magnetwire and see how it turns out.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 07:33:47 AM »
you dont have to spend big bucks on great cables.
IMO, the Boulder Cable M-80 is one of the best cheap cables out there, and you can find them used for $40.
check out audiocircle.com.  there are a lot of boulder cable products floating around this board.

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 08:41:55 AM »
Joey JoJo Shabadoo- thats the stupidest name I've ever heard :-P

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 05:23:49 PM »
Hadn't seen this thread until now, and oddly enough was looking into making some better cables for myself just this past weekend.

You might want to check out http://www.diycable.com

Under the audio connectors tab, you can find bulk Cardas Interlink II interconnect cable they're selling for $3.75 a foot.  They've also got nice Cardas Quadeutectic silver solder and Cardas RCA plugs.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 05:42:20 PM »
Oh, also you might want to check out Welborne Labs:

http://www.welbornelabs.com/parts.htm

Lots of good stuff here too.  They also sell bulk DH Labs BL-1 silver clad interconnect cable for $3.50 per foot.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 02:27:29 AM »
i built my interconnects this weekend and thought i'd give a mini-review for those who are considering doing the same.  i ended up using belden 89207 twin coaxial cable and used some wbt clones to terminate.  the cable was reasonably priced at $2.05 a foot but i was only able to find it for sale in canada so the shipping came out to be just under $20, the plugs were very reasonable - i got them from parts express and they came out to around $3 per plug.  i decided to be fancy and cover the cable with techflex, it certainly wasn't necessary but the cables do look more professional and it offers a little bit of extra protection.

construction wasn't very difficult, the only real issue was trying to find a good way to solder the return to the plug.  i ended up soldering at the back of the connector, it isn't the best place to solder but it was really the only place that it was possible.  the cables seem pretty, i'd prefer if the connectors had better strain relief but other than that they're pretty solid.  the cable is very stiff, so if you need something flexible you might want to look elsewhere.

after hooking them up i noticed an immediate improvement, nothing earthshattering but definately an upgrade over the monster and radioshack cables i had been using.  i haven't had a chance to sit down and listen critically but i've noticed that the bass seems a bit tighter and the highs sound more natural.  overall they sound very smooth and musical, which is pretty much exactly what i was going for.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 08:43:05 PM »
and a +T for the diy approach!

thanks moke, i think diy is fun and it's definately a great way to save money.  i'll be careful with the interconnects, the plugs are the locking variety so it makes things  a bit more stable.  after letting them burn in a bit i'm very pleased with the results, they weren't as big of an improvement as upgrading speaker cables has been but still they've made a difference.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com