Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: system is complete!  (Read 5699 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
system is complete!
« on: June 04, 2004, 06:42:01 PM »
speakers arrived today.  von schweikert vr-2s.  thanks nick

i'm blasting tongue n groove from 2-15-03 kimock and damn, i feel like i'm there again.  this is incredible

edit:
been listening for an hour now to all sorts of stuff and recordings seem to have new life.  ones i thought were muddy before seem much more defined now in the low end.  and the high end just sings here.  

there's a hornsby tape i did in sept 02 that i like but i thought was a bit "roomy".  but now it seems VERY tight. man, i may not leave the room tonight...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 07:51:52 PM by scott brown »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
Re:system is complete!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 06:48:11 PM »
i think neighbors 4 blocks away can probably hear the music right now....hehe

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 08:31:21 PM »
awesome.
wait till you hear them after a couple hundred hours of break in.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 04:48:52 PM »
Von Schweikert, accept no substitute!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 09:08:18 PM »
scott, what are you powering these with?  whats the full system?

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 02:12:28 AM »
What I want to know is whether or not you're thinking of keeping the Benchmark :)
Out of the game … for now?

Offline scb

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 07:08:31 AM »
>>scott, what are you powering these with?  whats the full system?<<

audiogon is my friend.  got me stuff for less than half price (and in the case of the cables, like 80% off)

Arcam AV-8 pre
Arcam p7 power amp
Arcam dv27a dvd/cd
vr-2s biamped using 4 channels of the p7
benchmark dac-1, though i may sell it if i like the arcam sound better.  need time for the speakers to break in before i can decide this i think.
various audio magic interconnects and speaker cables.  the speaker cables are unreal

eventually i'll use the old tannoy mercury m2's for rears, but i just don't have room for surround at the moment

Offline scb

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 07:09:43 AM »
back of the vr-2s.  this wood finish is beautiful

Offline scb

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 07:10:12 AM »
arcam components

Offline scb

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2004, 07:10:47 AM »
cables off the pre and to the amp

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2004, 10:48:41 AM »
gear slut
the show is over go home please.

Offline scb

Re: system is complete!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2004, 08:37:14 PM »
sue me!  :)

audiogon made it like 40% of the original price, and this isn't used stuff.  audiogon rocks

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 06:57:59 AM »
your system drips with high-end lushness!

the A.Hazelwood finish on those bad-boys is real, real purdy!
I'd love to hear it sometime if i'm ever in NYC.

big +T to you Scott, on all accounts.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 08:06:18 AM »
Since all components were purchased through Audiogon, were they from authorized dealers?  Warranty still good?   Very nice gear btw!

Offline scb

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 09:03:31 AM »
>>I'd love to hear it sometime if i'm ever in NYC.

absolutely!

+t back at you nick for introducing me to von schweikert

Offline scb

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 09:09:43 AM »
>>Since all components were purchased through Audiogon, were they from authorized dealers?  Warranty still good?<<

an authorized dealer was selling the P7 and AV8.  they had been in his showroom as demo units for only a few weeks.  while technically not out of the box new, they weren't actually "used goods" in that they never were sold to anyone.  he wanted to make room for some new krell gear in the showroom, so he put the av8 and p7 up on audiogon for his dealer cost. then he threw in an older model DV88+ dvd player (New) for free.  so i got it and sold the dvd for a grand.   full warranty and everything.  the dealer wrote me 2 invoices: 1 for what i paid, and 1 that he sent arcam claiming i paid full price. 

then i posted on audiogon in search of a dv27a. a dealer wrote back with a killer price, so i took him up on it.  turns out they quoted me a price for a lower model (which is why it was so good) and they actually stuck to it.  so that worked in my favor

the audio magic cables were all from audiogon. 

the vr-2s were from nick.  he had a pair that were chipped, so they were going to send him new ones.  he had the new ones sent to me because he got some vr-4s. 

and yes nick, i love this hazelwood finish!

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2004, 10:19:15 AM »
congrats scott. I am also complete for awhile, I hope. Running the green mountain audio Europas with DIY Cat5 speaker cable (Thanks nmculberth) a mccormack dna 0.5 kimbre interconnects and a y-s audio symphonies + preamp. Just got the y-s and wow what a preamp. I sold my cj pv-12L to get this and I will NEVER look back. Excellent soundstage, very warm, smooth sound. So my *downgrade* ($ wise) definitely was an upgrade in sound. Also sold my B&W cdm7se speakers for the GMA. I guess next is to try to find a great price on some telefunken 12au7 tubes and eventually upgrade the amp to a B or A.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2004, 11:26:27 AM »
Trey - ever compare those speakers to the VR-1s? I got my choice down to those two, but went with the VR-1s because I couldn't easily demo the Europas. That and they weigh a shitload and I'm moving at least twice in the next 15 months.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2004, 11:44:25 AM »
Trey - ever compare those speakers to the VR-1s? I got my choice down to those two, but went with the VR-1s because I couldn't easily demo the Europas. That and they weigh a shitload and I'm moving at least twice in the next 15 months.

I never compared, I was down to between the ACI Sapphires and the GMA. I didn't audition, the way I audition is I buy and keep until I want something better. You did tell me earlier about you going with the vr-1s. I was skeptical of the gma, especially after getting them and hearing mostly tinny sound, maybe not tinny but they were not the bass rumblers I wanted at first. I switched pre amps and while I may want a sub in the future, the bottom end was nicely rounded out. I attribute it to A) change in preamp and B) wear in time for speakers C) wear in time for cables, in no particular order. I cannot say which is better between the cj and the y-s but I can say I didn't love the cj sound or the  12L rather. So I tried something new and with most of my recording things have werked out thus far.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2004, 10:27:28 PM »
Trey, when Nick & I compared his YS to my CJ it was no contest. My CJ was on Audiogon that night. Who cares about the brand name, enjoy the music!
Scott, as far as the Benchmark is concerned, I run one & love it. I can't imagine anything keeping up with it at 2x the price used, it is that good in my system.
BAT VK60 amp, Benchmark DAC-1, Von Schweikert VR4jr's with DH Labs & MIT cables
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline scb

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2004, 11:27:06 PM »
>>Scott, as far as the Benchmark is concerned, I run one & love it. I can't imagine anything keeping up with it at 2x the price used, it is that good in my system.<<

the arcam has quad wolfson dacs per channel and is very nice on it's own.  i need to break in the speakers before i can really compare them.  but yes, the benchmark does sound damn good

Offline monochromic

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2004, 02:51:08 AM »
beautiful gear scott. i've had my eye on an arcam cd73 cd player (and roksan kandy mkiii int. amp) for a while now. hey, i need to do my b&w cdm-1nt speakers justice. ;)
Team Australia
Schoeps MK41/KC5/CMC6xt > Neve Portico 5012 > 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 50 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com