Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Streaming music from home to work  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Liquid Meat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
Streaming music from home to work
« on: June 10, 2004, 02:51:20 PM »
I have this crazy idea that I would like to stream my own music from home to work. I can only take so much Brittney, Jessica Simpson and such "music" that my coworkers listen to. I suppose that I could use shoutcast, but I am not sure what kind of bandwidth I would need at  home to do it. If I could just connect to my own box and listen that would be great. I have a cable connection at home and a pretty big pipe at work so....Can anyone suggest a way to do it or give me some idea on the bandwidth that I might be eating up running a shoutcast? I assume that it would be based on the rate that I streamed the music. I am just not sure how one would go about calculating such. I would rather not have my cable provider flagging me because of 8-10 hours of high bandwidth usage each day. Thanks folks.

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
Re: Streaming music from home to work
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 03:11:19 PM »
Given the ports are available, VNC might be a much better option.

It will do this: "If I could just connect to my own box and listen that would be great" and more.  It will be like having your home desktop at work, or vice versa.  I use it to access my work PC from home all the time and it's great.

This is what I use but there are others out there
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 03:49:20 PM »
You can't HEAR your music over VPN, at least not that I've ever witnessed. It's great for freaking out your roomie by messing w/ your music when you're not home though.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 03:53:55 PM »
You can't HEAR your music over VPN, at least not that I've ever witnessed. It's great for freaking out your roomie by messing w/ your music when you're not home though.

D'oh your right Matt.  Sorry... I don't use it for that, just for working.  Thought I had an answer :P

Offline Liquid Meat

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 03:57:58 PM »

Would it be possible to access my hard drives and then play the files on my box at work from files at home?

You guys rock BTW.

Offline Nick in Edinboro

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 04:07:46 PM »
Not that way. 

You could download an FTP server application, I use BulletProof FTP and then simply login like you would with any other FTP server (given you know your home PC's IP addy) and then drag and drop to your hearts content.

Depends on your comfort level with trying that as well as knowledge of setting up an FTP server.  If your computer is behind a router you will probably have to do some port forwarding also to get it functioning from the outside world?

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 04:21:23 PM »
im just thinking out loud here, but what about something using the itunes sharing abilities and a vpn...

J

Offline Liquid Meat

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 06:00:40 PM »
Not that way. 

You could download an FTP server application, I use BulletProof FTP and then simply login like you would with any other FTP server (given you know your home PC's IP addy) and then drag and drop to your hearts content.

Depends on your comfort level with trying that as well as knowledge of setting up an FTP server.  If your computer is behind a router you will probably have to do some port forwarding also to get it functioning from the outside world?

I thought of that, but it is a little more clunky than I was thinking. I have a FTP server set up at work, and have done port forwarding, so that is no problem.

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 04:38:42 PM »
What about windows media encoder?  It allows streaming... Think you could set up a playlist on winamp or media player then use windows media encoder to stream...
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 04:22:01 PM »
I use shoutcast. You are only gonna need the bandwidth to support the bit depth of the stream ie. 56k stereo etc. What yiou could do is run the server and then only allow 1 connection from the IP addy of your office. that way no one else hops on and uses bandwidth except you. The rules are configured right in the shoucast config file
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com