Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Line-in vs mic-in confusion  (Read 6779 times)

Offline microburst

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
Re: Line-in vs mic-in confusion
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 09:36:56 PM »
Really? I asked Sound Devices 2 times, one year apart each time.... the question.
""Does Line input bypass the mic preamp on the SD702""?
answer both times was 'yes, bypasses preamp'

Is it possible that's true on a 702, but not on a 744?

This would be my preference, but I tend to think the other answer is correct for the 744 based on the note on bottom of Page 12 of the 744t manual which is provided in italics.

Phantom power is available for both mic- and line-level inputs.  Using line level inputs with microphones is useful for high SPL environments such as concert recording.  Make certain  to turn off phantom power with line level output devices susceptible to damage from DC.

To me, this note implies that the pres are in the signal path regardless of whether the switch is in the mic- or line-in position.

So for 744 owners, the implication here is that if you want to remove the SD preamps completely from your signal chain, you'd want to use Channels 3 and 4 with an external preamp.

Interesting point.  I always run digital in via BNC on the 3/4 and external preamp line in on the 1/2.  I might switch this up now...but I might not.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Line-in vs mic-in confusion
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 02:23:54 AM »
All the above aside, there seem to be measurable differences in performance of line-in vs. mic-in signal paths of some ( /nearly all / all ?) recorders (available at avisoft for instance and sometimes found in published manufacturer specs). 

I'm not qualified to evaluate why (which may vary from recorder to recorder) but my take away has been that (assuming the power supply performs better than the internal amplifiers) one is better off going line-in if the input level from any given configuration and setting allows it. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com