Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK41 or MK41V, what's the better choice?  (Read 18371 times)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Schoeps MK41 or MK41V, what's the better choice?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 12:04:07 AM »
The gaff tape is to keep the bar from rotating inside a mount not to keep vert address caps in place.

When I used to run FOB at All Good with Sam, he would put tape there, and always told me it was to keep the caps from rotating on the mounts?!?! It always did the trick too, because we would get hit with everything from glowsticks to MASSIVE beach balls, and those damn caps would stay right in place 8) Thats when I was a beach ball serial killer, remember those days?!?! :) 8) ;D At All Good FOB in 2011, I had so many beach balls under my chair and around my stuff, that I HAD to kill around 100+ beach balls that weekend lol ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 01:10:53 AM »
The gaff tape is to keep the bar from rotating inside a mount not to keep vert address caps in place.

When I used to run FOB at All Good with Sam, he would put tape there, and always told me it was to keep the caps from rotating on the mounts?!?! It always did the trick too, because we would get hit with everything from glowsticks to MASSIVE beach balls, and those damn caps would stay right in place 8) Thats when I was a beach ball serial killer, remember those days?!?! :) 8) ;D At All Good FOB in 2011, I had so many beach balls under my chair and around my stuff, that I HAD to kill around 100+ beach balls that weekend lol ;D

My favorite beach-ball take-down is by steve

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 03:21:40 AM »

tonedeaf?!?! Aww, shit, youve never seen MY skills then ;D 8) Where do you think he learned from 8) He uses keys. I use CRKT Knives ;D 8)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 04:01:45 AM »

tonedeaf?!?! Aww, shit, youve never seen MY skills then ;D 8) Where do you think he learned from 8) He uses keys. I use CRKT Knives ;D 8)

My bad actually. I meant soling/Steve from Wisconsin. He took down the biggest beach-ball I've ever seen @ DelFest 2 years ago. I had a lot of kills that day but Steve took out the MASSIVE, knock-down the entire tapers section beach ball I've ever seen. Totally stealth taboot. Of course, I encouraged the gutting of that beach ball and maybe lent the knife. Maybe.

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 04:07:27 AM »
Bringing knives to a beach ball fight? I'd like to learn this technique!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 09:01:14 AM »
New product idea:  defensive shock mount

Basic model has small spikes.
Advanced model has spring loaded spikes that extend 2" in response to any contact

Spikes sold separately.
Void where prohibited by law.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 11:14:44 AM »

Yeah, you did set the world record for beach ball kills that year at All Good.  One of the promotors great ideas was to use beach balls with their logo on it, so there were millions to kill that weekend.  LOL. 

I'm glad people have finally figured out that a beach ball won't survive for 5 minutes at a festival because the last year or two there hasn't been nearly as many as there were three or four years ago.  It's not just tapers that hate those damn things.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:24:37 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »
Outside of the taping issues, deploying beach-balls at a show is a nefarious form of authoritarian forced participation, a direct affront to the ideals of individualism and diversity.  It is the eqvalent of the super annoying girl who is not content simply dancing up front by herself or dragging along a reluctant friend or two, but instead feels the need to play cheer-leader to the entire audience, screaming out repeatedly to everyone enjoying the show on their own terms and attempting to ignore her, "Comeon everybody! get up and dance! get up! get up!"
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 12:34:47 PM »
^ At a festival, I sometimes tape into the wee hours and get up as early as possible to catch the early acts.  Some days I'm taping 19 hours straight.  I'll catch a few naps during the day.  Inevitably, some douchebag gets offended that I might fall asleep in my camp chair so in my deep sleep they'll rudely awaken me to insist I join the party.  Get the fuck out of your own little world, man!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 12:45:55 PM »
"You're not enjoying this the way I think you should!"
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »

Yeah, you did set the world record for beach ball kills that year at All Good.  One of the promotors great ideas was to use beach balls with their logo on it, so there were millions to kill that weekend.  LOL. 

I'm glad people have finally figured out that a beach ball won't survive for 5 minutes at a festival because the last year or two there hasn't been nearly as many as there were three or four years ago.  It's not just tapers that hate those damn things.

True! I noticed next to ZERO beach balls the last couple years. Thank God!!! I will stab the beach balls w a very sharp knife, and then send it back in the crowd, so it doesn't look like I just killed it lol :) Back in 2011/2012 people were giving me shit for killin soooo many beach balls. I got so much shit over that, that I used to lie to people and tell them I was recording FOR All Good and that was my job. They usually left me alone after I told them that it was my job hahaha :)

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 11:03:26 PM »

True! I noticed next to ZERO beach balls the last couple years. Thank God!!! I will stab the beach balls w a very sharp knife, and then send it back in the crowd, so it doesn't look like I just killed it lol :) Back in 2011/2012 people were giving me shit for killin soooo many beach balls. I got so much shit over that, that I used to lie to people and tell them I was recording FOR All Good and that was my job. They usually left me alone after I told them that it was my job hahaha :)

Screw that Bean! I will grab any beach ball in vicinity and bite/chew it until it dies and stand over top of it triumphantly while scowling!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:06:57 PM by cobiwan »
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 12:13:54 AM »

Screw that Bean! I will grab any beach ball in vicinity and bite/chew it until it dies and stand over top of it triumphantly while scowling!

In my experience that attracts loud, boisterous drunks that want to stand under the mics and hoot and holler as an act of vengeance. I'm all about the stealth beach ball kill.

If it lands near me a quick nonchalant stab and slice as I "pick it back up" and send it back in to the crowd never to be seen again. If it's airborne (above the head) I palm the blade and bop it away. To the untrained eye it just looks like I'm trying to keep it afloat...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 12:20:40 AM »

In my experience that attracts loud, boisterous drunks that want to stand under the mics and hoot and holler as an act of vengeance. I'm all about the stealth beach ball kill.

If it lands near me a quick nonchalant stab and slice as I "pick it back up" and send it back in to the crowd never to be seen again. If it's airborne (above the head) I palm the blade and bop it away. To the untrained eye it just looks like I'm trying to keep it afloat...

You know you've been taping a long time when u can stealthily kill a beach ball super slick, and send it back in the crowd, so u don't get blamed for it lol :) I really only kill beach balls when I'm FOB, because that's where they are the most abundant. When I record in the OTS, beach balls aren't nearly as prevalent, but if it hits the mics or is too close, that muthafucka is getn POPPED, no mercy hahaha ;)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2014, 11:07:56 PM »
It's true that the moderate high-frequency elevation of the MK 4 V is not designed into the MK 41 V, and that people shouldn't assume that a "V" capsule would inherently have this elevation. For a number of years Schoeps made a version of the MK 4 V (cardioid) available without the elevation--the MK 4 VJ--and when you think about it, the MK 6 and MK 8 are also "V" (vertical) capsules, and they don't have the high-frequency elevation, either.

But what's the source for the statement that the MK 41 and MK 41 V are the same capsule internally, and have the same frequency response? They don't have the same frequency response. (The MK 41 V has a slight dip in the upper midrange, for example.) They also don't have the same polar response at high frequencies. In the horizontal plane, which is the one plane most of us care about for stereo recording, a "vertical" or "radial" capsule presents a radially symmetrical surface to the sound field, while this is not the case for "front-facing" capsules.

--best regards

Edited in 2019 to add: More recent graphs of the MK 41 V's frequency response actually do show a mild high-frequency elevation, which wasn't shown in the earlier graphs.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:22:52 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com