Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Balancing channels question (one -10db lower)  (Read 3001 times)

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Balancing channels question (one -10db lower)
« on: October 31, 2018, 10:14:50 AM »
Mornin'

Took out my new-to-me R44 for a spin last night, and in making sure I had the settings all straight on that, I flipped the -10db switch on one of my berliner cm33 mics. Could see that the levels were lower in one channel, but got in a bit late due to security, and figured I had a setting on the deck wrong (nope!)

Did a quick listen last night & overall things sounded good, though my left channel was pretty light.

I use audacity - is my best bet to just normalize? I need to amplify the other channel by a few db anyway - but just want to reduce as much noise as I can...

Thx!

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Balancing channels question (one -10db lower)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 02:04:18 PM »
Click the pull down on the track name

Select split stereo track

Amplify the one channel

Click the pull down on the track name

Select make stereo track

save
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 02:18:53 PM »
You don't even have to process it. Just split the track into separate left & right, and raise the gain sliders on the left side of each one, raising the low channel more.

Track as usual and when you export, you should have proper levels.

That said, it might be easier to process it as one file to make a clean file to work on. But you don't have to.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »
I don't use Audacity (I run REAPER), but it looks like it has no problem running VST plugins. I use Sonalksis FreeG (it's free, as the name implies). I use its pan knob and adjust by ear, then refer to the meter as a check. The reason I use FreeG in particular is because the red line in the center is an RMS meter, which is more useful for channel balancing than peak metering IMO.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 05:15:06 PM »
I’d use klanghelm’s VUMT deluxe plugin. Just bump up the lower channel by 10db
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 07:50:28 PM »
Thanks for all the good advice!

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 08:07:53 PM »
I don't use Audacity (I run REAPER), but it looks like it has no problem running VST plugins. I use Sonalksis FreeG (it's free, as the name implies). I use its pan knob and adjust by ear, then refer to the meter as a check. The reason I use FreeG in particular is because the red line in the center is an RMS meter, which is more useful for channel balancing than peak metering IMO.

Thanks, works great.  That red RMS line is really helpful.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com