Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SPDIF with AD20 & JB3  (Read 5398 times)

Offline oscoastierob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Go tape SLM
    • oscoastierob's facebook
SPDIF with AD20 & JB3
« on: March 06, 2007, 12:43:06 AM »
I wanted to try out the SPDIF 1/8" mini output on my AD20 into my JB3. Without using an optical cable, what is the best way to accomplish this? I have a 1 1/2' SPDIF cable but both the ends are rca. What kind of adaptor would I need to make it work with my AD20 & JB3 (mono or stereo?) or is there a cable that I can just straight buy? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron too so building my own cable isn't far fetched either. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 12:44:37 AM by oscoastierob »
Peluso CEMC-6 /CK2, CK4, CK21, CK41-> Hydra Silver XLRs-> XTC silver interconnects-> UA-5 BM2p+ mod-> SPDIF-> R4

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SPDIF with AD20 & JB3
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 10:29:49 AM »
You can't transmit a digital signal from the AD-20's coax SPDIF output to the JB3's digital input without using an optical cable - the JB3 only accepts optical SPDIF.  You need a digital format converter that converts coax SPDIF to optical SPDIF.  The Hosa ODL-276 (and new -276A model that supports 24-bit) will do the trick.  They should run around $60 shipped (though many sites list them as ~$100 retail, you should never have to pay that much.)  You'll need a mini > RCA adapter since the Hosa has an RCA coax input, not a mini coax input.  And you'll also need an optical cable from the Hosa to the JB3 - standard toslink on the Hosa side of the cable, and a mini connector on the JB3 side.  I recommend an optical cable with a right-angle mini connector for the JB3.  While preferable, optical cables with integrated mini right angle connectors may be hard to find, so some people use a standard toslink-toslink cable with a right-angle toslink > mini adapter.

Wait wait wait...doesn't the AD-20 also have an optical output?  If so, you could simply pick up an optical cable with the proper connectors and skip the digital format conversion.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 10:32:07 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 10:32:56 AM »
Wait wait wait...doesn't the AD-20 also have an optical output?

yes, the AD-20 also has an optical output.

oscoastierob - get yourself an optical cable with a standard toslink on one end (for the AD-20), and a mini connector to go in to the JB3.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:48:29 AM »
I wanted to try out the SPDIF 1/8" mini output on my AD20 into my JB3. Without using an optical cable, what is the best way to accomplish this? I have a 1 1/2' SPDIF cable but both the ends are rca. What kind of adaptor would I need to make it work with my AD20 & JB3 (mono or stereo?) or is there a cable that I can just straight buy? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron too so building my own cable isn't far fetched either. Any thoughts?

Without using an optical cable the easiest way to accomplish this is to purchase an RCA female > 1/8 inch male mono adapter. The center pin carries one channel and the outer ring carries the other channel so even though it's a mono adapter, you still get a stereo signal. Radio Hack or any electronics store should have one.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 10:52:13 AM »
Without using an optical cable the easiest way to accomplish this is to purchase an RCA female > 1/8 inch male mono adapter. The center pin carries one channel and the outer ring carries the other channel so even though it's a mono adapter, you still get a stereo signal. Radio Hack or any electronics store should have one.

The AD-20 has an analog output?  I thought it only has coax and optical SPDIF outputs.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 10:53:39 AM »

yes, you can get an RCA female > 1/8" male mono adapter for a couple of bucks, so that you could use an regular coax S/PDIF cable.  BUT, it doesn't help at all, because the ONLY digital input on the JB3 is optical.  there is no way to avoid using an optical cable if you want to run digital into the JB3.  not to mention, the AD-20 doesn't have any analog outputs, so the optical cable is pretty much your only option with those two pieces of gear.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 10:54:23 AM »

The AD-20 has an analog output?  I thought it only has coax and optical SPDIF outputs.

the "coax" S/PDIF output is via a 1/8" jack.  not a standard RCA.  but it's definitely S/PDIF out and not analog.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 10:57:26 AM »
JB3 has optical SPDIF input.  AD20 has coax or 1/8"TRS SDPIF.  At some point you will have to use an optical cable into the JB3, there is no way around it.

You could build a 1/8">RCA SPDIF cable, but then you'd have to convert that to a TOSLINK for the JB3.  A Hosa ODL-276 is perfect for this, but the extra connections do NOT remove your need for optical cable, rather it increases your chance of having a messed up tape due to bad connection, or bad battery, etc...

You should just go optical out from your AD20.

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 11:03:38 AM »
I've only used the AD20 optical out into my JB3s. The AD20 (used) came with one of the adapters I've described. The only time that has been used was for a patch into an M1 (AD20 miniSPDIF > coax > 7pin > M1). Patcher said it made a nice tape and he now owns an AD20 so it must have worked.

<edited to add the only time I ever had a problem going AD20 optical > JB3 was when I used a standard TOSlink - TOSlink w/mini adapter > JB3. Get a one piece TOSlink > mini cable and you avoid that problem. SP sells one and MCMinone also sells the cable for less than SP but last time I checked, MCMinone was out of stock.>
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 11:07:33 AM by flipp »

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 09:38:20 AM »
oscoastierob - get yourself an optical cable with a standard toslink on one end (for the AD-20), and a mini connector to go in to the JB3.

Anyone know where to get this optical cable? I originally picked up mine at Radio Shack, but they don't carry 'em anymore. I've searched a few sites, but most optical cables I'm finding are toslink-to-toslink.
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 10:18:54 AM »
rather expensive but cablesnmor has a 6' TOSlink > miniTOSlink for $25

http://www.cablesnmor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=215

not aware of anyplace that has the right angle ends in stock

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 10:29:03 AM »

Anyone know where to get this optical cable? I originally picked up mine at Radio Shack, but they don't carry 'em anymore. I've searched a few sites, but most optical cables I'm finding are toslink-to-toslink.

I'm sure there are direct retailers selling them still but I ran a quick search at ebay:
http://shop.ebay.com/items/__mini-optical-cable
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 12:48:09 PM »
rather expensive but cablesnmor has a 6' TOSlink > miniTOSlink for $25

http://www.cablesnmor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=215

I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like it has a TOSlink on both ends...I go from an AD-20 to NJB3, so I need a Toslink on one end and a mini plug on the other. But I think Cablesnmor might have what I need all the same.

Thanks.
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com