Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: USBPre 2 > SPDIF > MicroTrackII for the field ?  (Read 25191 times)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: USBPre 2 > SPDIF > MicroTrackII for the field ?
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2011, 11:43:42 AM »
OK, and for those who don't find a used one at the same price, you also have to consider that for the D50 you would want to buy some kind of XLR+P48 adapter, and most likely you will have to buy specialized Memory-sticks...

Now, I hope I can bother you one more time, for the coaxial cable between the Sound Devices USBPre 2 and the Marantz PMD661. On Ebay there is lot of things, but it seems as I'm not able to find the right thing. What I found was this not short at all cable that I would have to use together with expensive right angle adapters, like the ones below.

Comprehensive XHD XD1 Series Digital S/PDIF RCA Male to RCA Male Audio Cable - 3'
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/408229-REG/Comprehensive_XD1_RCA3_XHD_Digital_S_PDIF_RCA.html
+
Monster Cable Right-Angle RCA Adapter - Male to Female
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/485194-REG/Monster_Cable_104125_Right_Angle_RCA_Adapter.html

There are several people on this board that can make a cable for you that will be of higher value than anything you can buy.

I just bought an AES > RCA cable last week from Ted:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?action=profile;u=19317

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 12:04:45 PM »
right, I would order a custom S/PDIF cable from someone here on taperssection (Ted makes great cables, as do a few other folks.  Here is a link to Ted's post about his cables: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0).

The benefits of getting a custom cable made are:
1.  You can specify the exact length you want.
2.  You can specify right-angle RCA plugs, if you like.  I would stear clear of adaptors, as that is one more piece of the chain, and one more thing that could potentially go wrong.  The switchcraft right-angle RCA's are fantastci.
3.  You know that the cable is being put together by hand and that care is being made to make sure all the soldered connections are done well.  Not some machine doing the soldering in bulk.  So you'll know the cable will be reliable for many years to come.

Offline wbrock001

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 07:02:48 PM »
I use the apogee minime and micro track II and have never had a failure with spdif at many weddings, events, corporate or otherwise. The reason I went with it was for the very reason it had RCA spdif over any other budget recorder, I figured the minime clock, converters and pres would compensate for any mtii deficiencies, and I was correct.  Granted my setup is stationary and I power both the minime and mtii at all times. Though once I did forget the power supply and it ran on battery for several hours reliably. So while I tend to agree the mtii has serious doubts as a standalone, it has proven to be very reliable for me in my specific setup. I was actually thinking of selling my minime to get a usbpre2 and using it with the mtii. I also have an sd 302 mixer that I combined with a zaxcom zfr100 with sta100 stereo line level adapter and I have gotten excellent results...though I should, given that its about a $2800 setup. The next step is to get an sd702.

So at least one person here can say the mtii has been okay, as long as you know it's physical limitations.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2011, 08:40:53 PM »
So at least one person here can say the mtii has been okay, as long as you know it's physical limitations.

Jesse Hurlburt really liked it, but he wrote down stellar instructions on how to guarantee a recording and no lockups. It was 5 or 6 steps IIRC. My luck, I'd goof up somewhere and nuke the recording, but there are people who like them for the price.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline nino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »
Thank you! I just sent a PM to Ted for the right angled coax cable.

I'll also get a 5v external power pack cable from him for the PMD661.  The Tekkeon Battery looks good, but I found a 16000 mAh Battery from ISOUND for half the price and in a slightly smaller package ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766258-REG/ISOUND_DGIPAD_4544_Portable_Power_Max_16000.html ). That way I can power both, the USBPre2 and the PMD611, from this one 16000mAz power pack.

On the MicroTrack, after doing more of the suggested reading here on the board, I too don't want to risk unrepeatable important recordings. I guess its doable, though.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 05:44:38 PM by nino »

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2011, 06:01:04 PM »
For what its worth, the Tekkeon can power the usbpre2 and should be able to power the PMD661 simultaneously.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline nino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »
You are right, but for example at B&H

- the Tekkeon mp3450 (10.000 mAh / 50 Wh / 433.7g, 15.3oz) sells for 120$,
 - the Tekkeon mp3450i (11.600 mAh / 58 Wh / 450.7g, 15.9oz) for 140$ and
 - the Isound Portable Power Max (16.000 mAh / 60 Wh / 400g, 14.1oz) for 77$

You think that the Isound will not be capable of powering simultaneously the USBPre 2 and the PMD661 through 5V USB (for the Marantz with the custom cable from Ted)?

[EDIT to be more precise, I added the Wh and g/oz (see above)}

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 07:25:21 PM by nino »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2011, 10:44:09 PM »

You think that the Isound will not be capable of powering simultaneously the USBPre 2 and the PMD661 through 5V USB (for the Marantz with the custom cable from Ted)?

while the 661 draws 5v, it needs more then 1amp. I thought about that a while ago.

Sean's right; the tekkeon MP series will work if you use the main port for the 661 and the usb port for the usbpre2.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline nino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2011, 02:09:04 AM »

while the 661 draws 5v, it needs more then 1amp. I thought about that a while ago.

Sean's right; the tekkeon MP series will work if you use the main port for the 661 and the usb port for the usbpre2.

You and  Sean right, the Isound gives 2.4 A and the Tekkeons up to 4 A. Thank you for clarifying that.

nino

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2011, 02:20:37 AM »

You and  Sean right, the Isound gives 2.4 A and the Tekkeons up to 4 A. Thank you for clarifying that.

nino

true, but IIRC you're only getting 1a max out of each usb port (that's the spec for usb power) which is too little for the 661 which needs something like 1.6a.

Offline nino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2011, 03:12:44 AM »
I'm confused, because I got this from Ted's page ( http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0 ):
5v USB External Battery Cables for Marantz PMD661, Iriver H120 & R09HR Recorders made to your desired length, straight or r/a (depending on availability) on the recorder and can be used with any external 5v USB power pack like this http://www.lenmar.com/Web/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=PPU2100B&Model=iPhone&OEM=Apple&CatID=9 More then happy to build these for any other 5v powered equipment.  I just need to know the coaxial plug size and polarity requirements.

?

PS: Ted sells things which work fine for him, he tells me. He seems to power his 661 from the USB out of a Tekkeon.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:12:50 AM by nino »

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
I'm confused, because I got this from Ted's page ( http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0 ):
5v USB External Battery Cables for Marantz PMD661, Iriver H120 & R09HR Recorders made to your desired length, straight or r/a (depending on availability) on the recorder and can be used with any external 5v USB power pack like this http://www.lenmar.com/Web/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=PPU2100B&Model=iPhone&OEM=Apple&CatID=9 More then happy to build these for any other 5v powered equipment.  I just need to know the coaxial plug size and polarity requirements.

?

PS: Ted sells things which work fine for him, he tells me. He seems to power his 661 from the USB out of a Tekkeon.

It may be possible, but the AC Adaptor feeds it 1.5a per the specs for the adaptor listed in the 661's user manual (pg 64). It may not need all 1.5a most of the time, or it could be that Marantz just re-used an adaptor that provided extra from an earlier machine (the 620), I don't know, but I wouldn't want to be in the field and find out. At least not when the alternative was just an additional $50 for a battery I know would work.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »
The PMD-661 does not use more than 1A, and certainly not 1.5 A.  just because the AC adapter can supply 1.5A, that doesn't mean that the PMD-661 is pulling that much.  The manual says the PMD-661 uses 4.2 W (again, pg 64).  Watts = Volts x Amps.  at 5V, the PMD-661 is pulling 0.84 A (or 840 mA).  and my guess is that that is the most it would be using (internal pre-amps, phantom power on, etc, etc).  With the S/PDIF input, the deck is probably using a lot less than that.

I don't know how much power the USBPre2.  but a tekkeon mp3450 powering the PMD-661 alone, I got 15+ hours of run time when using the S/PDIF input.  that's why I sold the tekkeon, because I didn't need that much run time.  now I just use the four internal AA's.

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2011, 09:30:41 PM »
The PMD-661 does not use more than 1A, and certainly not 1.5 A.  just because the AC adapter can supply 1.5A, that doesn't mean that the PMD-661 is pulling that much.  The manual says the PMD-661 uses 4.2 W (again, pg 64).  Watts = Volts x Amps.  at 5V, the PMD-661 is pulling 0.84 A (or 840 mA).  and my guess is that that is the most it would be using (internal pre-amps, phantom power on, etc, etc).  With the S/PDIF input, the deck is probably using a lot less than that.

Thanks for the correction, I screwed up my math when I saw the watt rating.

Offline nino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2011, 12:16:29 AM »
If I understand, that means that both, the PMD661 and the USBPre 2, may be powered via USB, right?

That brings back the ISOUND power back option, a bit cheaper, a bit lighter and even more capacity (even though most likely not necessary). Why should I spend more?

PS: ISOUND  2.4 A
 8.000 mAh = 45 U$D
16.000 mAh = 77 U$D

Even, 8.000 mAh might be enough.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 12:22:41 AM by nino »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com