Gear / Technical Help > Battery Boxes, Preamps, Mixers, ADCs, and Processors

Good DIY Batterybox plans?

(1/4) > >>

Chrisedge:
I have read all the threads on building a batterybox, but need some help with parts to use.

My goal is TINY and 9v or less.

This page seems to have the best instructions/pictures.  http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/14343-how-to-build-a-stereo-microphone-and-battery-box/

I am powering AT933s (SP's) and Church Audio CA14s. Church has said don't use 12v otherwise I would probably just buy the tiny Soundpro one. (SPSB10?)

I would love something the size of a tiny Altoids box.

beatkilla:
Sound professionals sp 8 mkii

Tiny and uses a  9 volt battery

Chrisedge:
My current one isn't much bigger than that. I have a SP-SPSB-1

I want to build a Ugly BB sized one. No roll off, literally the smallest thing out there. The Ugly fits on top of a 9v.

mjwin:

--- Quote from: Chrisedge on August 29, 2019, 11:24:23 AM ---This page seems to have the best instructions/pictures.  http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/14343-how-to-build-a-stereo-microphone-and-battery-box/

--- End quote ---

That link looks like a pretty rough'n'ready guide to building your own "ugly clone". I'm not sure that I'd go with the battery dissection as a means of obtaining a simple battery clip, though! 

But first off I'd ask how confident you are working with small components, soldering, and generally that kind of thing. This is the crucial bit to making something reliable which doesn't short the battery & go up in smoke when in your pocket!  If you're not happy doing this, maybe you know someone locally who's into electronics - the parts themselves are all common enough to be in every enthusiast's parts bin.

As to component values, the consensus seems to be to use 6k8 resistors to bias the mics, and 1uF capacitors on the output.  Getting slightly more technical, most of the small electret capsules I have measured take between 0.2...0.7mA from the supply.  Using  ohm's law V=IR, that gives between 1.4...4.8V across the resistor, so that  gives roughly 4...7.5 V across your mic. This should be just fine (and FWIW isn't far off my own rule of 1k per volt of battery)

illconditioned:
Love that web page.Describes how to use hot melt glue and shrink wrap.
You can also use epoxy ... though it cannot be easily disassembled later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version