Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DIY Cable project -- Please help  (Read 1978 times)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
DIY Cable project -- Please help
« on: December 18, 2005, 10:50:51 AM »
I'm making some RCA ICs for my playback system.  I know how to solder (my grandfather taught me when I was 8) and I've searched this furum, the archive and the internet.  So, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing, but I do have several questions.  I'd appreciate any advice y'all have.

1.  What brand of RCA connector? 

Connectors range from pennies to $$$.  I'm looking for high quality, but not crazy expensive.  Please recommend a good brand.

2.  What is the difference between cables for audio vs. video vs digital coax? 

I know that video (and digital?) cable is rated for 75 Ohm and audio is not.  What exactly does this mean?  Is it the cables, the connectors, or both?  Is there any disadvantage to using 75 Ohm cables in audio applications?  Does the cable quality make a difference with digital cables?  I don't see why it should since digital signals are just a bunch of zeros and ones.  Are the high end audiophile digital cables a hoax?

3.  What wire is appropriate?

I've got some Star Quad that I'll use to start.  However, I am interested in knowing what makes a particular cable suitable for a particular purpose.  Shielded or unshielded?  Single or multiple conductor?  Stranded or solid core?  Light or heavy gauge?  What about coaxial cable?  Mic cables are usually shielded and speaker cables usually are unshielded.  Why is this so? 

Thanks for the help.

http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DIY Cable project -- Please help
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 10:54:30 AM »
+t for the thread...

i have found tnt's site to be useful... here is the page with the diy cable designs...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline d5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: DIY Cable project -- Please help
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 12:50:23 PM »
I've used Dayton locking RCA's recently. They're WBT clones, but a *lot* less money, but be aware the ground is a bit difficult to solder. They're 12.99 for a 4 pack at parts express. I've used these with good results with Canare Starquad.

JW mod AKG 460/ck61's > Sound Devices 702

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com