Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Hooke binaural bluetooth recording system - NOW REVIEWED  (Read 35387 times)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Hooke binaural bluetooth recording system - NOW REVIEWED
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2018, 03:37:31 AM »
agreed. if its not 100% reliable it doesnt even go in the bag. i wish i had something better to say about the hooke but after years of messing around with consumer gear like nomad jukeboxes, maudio microtrack, pdaudiocf software, dell axims, a million and one soundcards for transferring, etc, in the time before we had reliable 24-bit recorders, ive lost way too many recordings to even mess with something that doesnt work 100% of the time. Theres simply too many other cost effective reliable solutions out there right now to roll the dice with something not ready for prime time. Note that almost every one of the iffy solutuions above were also constantly under software revision but never quite got there. Perhaps this time is differnet and hopefully you guys can have a good dialogue of feedback and product improvements that get there

as far as the ambeo ive only tested it for 3 hours or so, but it worked out of the box flawlessly and did what it needed to do. im sure apogees other devices like the duo work similarly. As for it only working with apple not really a limitation imo. iphones are $50 and small and efficient. the hooke doesnt even work properly with my iphone so theres that...

as far as the ambeo id say it seems to be as robust as my dpa d:vice setup and is something i would let a friend borrow to tape a show ($250 vs $1500)

i still think the #1 advantage of the dvice/ambeo/hooke type setups (and the shure mv88 to a lesser extent) is the fact that youre digi into your phone and dont have to try to sneak a recorder in. dvice and hooke are both a little odd if you have to explain it. the ambeos are just noise cancelling headphones if somebody asks. The roland and sound professional binaurals (and hooke if using line connection) still need an audio recorder so thats a limitation. analog in of most phones is not up to the task. The first 2 in that list pass for headphones easily but you still need a recorder....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:50:19 AM by jerryfreak »
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Online Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2018, 07:39:58 AM »
Of course I was overlooking the phone vs recorder aspect when comparing the ambeo device with the Roland in-ears.  I agree that being able to use a phone - if that doesn't compromise the sound, and it doesn't have to - is a significant advantage.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2018, 10:39:46 AM »
see the rode sc6-L thread that jsut got started
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2018, 12:56:21 PM »
Hey there! Responses to your questions below.

Can the ambeos record at 24/96?

No, they cannot.

Apparently they can. If you use the Apogee MetaRecorder App, you can record at 24/96.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/metarecorder
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2018, 03:36:57 PM »
ill try it. i dont use the metarecorder app because you have to buy it to record over a minute, and voice record pro seems to work fine

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »
I'd pretty much given up on Hooke and it was headed for Ebay when I listened to Ozpeter's wild jazz link--sounded good. I'm going to install the updated Android app and see what I get at my next concert.  Otherwise, maybe an Iphone user on Ebay will have better luck.

In the meantime, among all the wired mics everyone keeps mentioning....don't forget the Soundman in-ears, which are the tiniest of buds. I think I have the OKM Classic Rock Studio, but the names are confusing. I'm still not sure how durable they are--had to get a pair replaced because the superthin wires around the buds wore out--but the recordings  sound great--very detailed and realistic--and their customer service is very friendly. 

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2018, 05:54:34 PM »
so those are minijack to a recorder, right?

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2018, 01:28:22 PM »
Yes, they are old-school wired mics that look like the cheapest of off-brand earbuds (and the plastic oyster case looks like a Sony earbud case).

Mine are OKM Classic Rock Solo, $110  shipped from Soundman on Ebay in 2017. Looking at the site now that would seem to be the OKM Klassik II, the higher-SPL version (they all look alike). Soundman also sells on Ebay, but only a few things at a time.

http://www.soundman.de/en/products/

Soundman sells its A3, a 6V battery module, to go with them, but I saw it got very mixed reviews. The mics will take up to 10V (per Soundman) so I am using my 9V CA-UBB. Doesn't get much more compact than Soundman-->CA-UBB-->PCM-M10.

They do go in your ears and despite the minimal size and the special foam covers, they are not quite acoustically transparent--vocals are a little harder to decipher during the performance. But on playback, the mix is right.

When I saw the Hooke in its Kickstarter days I thought it might be a good alternative to clip-on mics.  If Sennheiser comes through with Android on its Ambeo binaurals, that might be the next step, unless Hooke has gotten its Bluetooth bugs worked out. No point in using the Hooke wired to a recorder when the Soundmans are so superb.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2018, 01:50:52 PM »
hows the cable noise? thats what people complain about with the shures

Online Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2018, 01:27:50 AM »
You certainly have to be careful with cable noise with the Edirol in-ears - not that it's a massive problem, you just have to bear it in mind - probably an inherent problem with any such wired in-ears, and of course much less of a problem with unwired ones such as the Hooke Verse.

But when recording music concerts with any in-ear binaural device, you should be keeping your head very still in any event, to avoid sudden spins of the stereo image when playing back.   And that's quite hard to do for an hour at a time!  You can forget glugging down any beers, too.

Online Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2018, 01:46:44 AM »
I uploaded a one minute sample of parrots and cars to YouTube - https://youtu.be/Ci7XjGAf_4A

It makes an interesting little test.  To me, even on speakers, the parrots seem above me, which is weird.  The power of suggestion, or the power of binaural sound??

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2018, 11:41:14 AM »
Yes, they are old-school wired mics that look like the cheapest of off-brand earbuds (and the plastic oyster case looks like a Sony earbud case).

Mine are OKM Classic Rock Solo, $110  shipped from Soundman on Ebay in 2017. Looking at the site now that would seem to be the OKM Klassik II, the higher-SPL version (they all look alike). Soundman also sells on Ebay, but only a few things at a time.

Soundman sells its A3, a 6V battery module, to go with them, but I saw it got very mixed reviews. The mics will take up to 10V (per Soundman) so I am using my 9V CA-UBB. Doesn't get much more compact than Soundman-->CA-UBB-->PCM-M10.

They do go in your ears and despite the minimal size and the special foam covers, they are not quite acoustically transparent--vocals are a little harder to decipher during the performance. But on playback, the mix is right.

When I saw the Hooke in its Kickstarter days I thought it might be a good alternative to clip-on mics.  If Sennheiser comes through with Android on its Ambeo binaurals, that might be the next step, unless Hooke has gotten its Bluetooth bugs worked out. No point in using the Hooke wired to a recorder when the Soundmans are so superb.

I saw what the CA-UBB looks like and while that could work for some, bear in mind that some venues get really anxious and nervous when they see batteries out in the open. That's why I like the Microphone Madness "Miniature Classic Battery / Filter module" (but I think it's discontinued now, sadly enough).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 11:55:27 AM by DATBoy »

Offline DATBoy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2018, 11:56:59 AM »
You certainly have to be careful with cable noise with the Edirol in-ears - not that it's a massive problem, you just have to bear it in mind - probably an inherent problem with any such wired in-ears, and of course much less of a problem with unwired ones such as the Hooke Verse.

But when recording music concerts with any in-ear binaural device, you should be keeping your head very still in any event, to avoid sudden spins of the stereo image when playing back.   And that's quite hard to do for an hour at a time!  You can forget glugging down any beers, too.

use a paper straw probably?

Online Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2018, 08:09:40 PM »

use a paper straw probably?

Nah, I think that would suck.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2018, 08:52:06 AM »

those dead rat earmuffs are kinda dope

ok im done hijacking this thread

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com