Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Extremely new and need help with MD  (Read 2691 times)

Offline marie429

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I know all about virtuosos & trembalos & arpeggios
Extremely new and need help with MD
« on: October 29, 2003, 03:13:48 AM »
I am going to a concert next month and would like to tape it. I have never taped before and do not anticipate taping shows often, therefore I do not need expensive or profssional equipment. I have searched the archives and am still a bit confused (like I said REALLY new!). After I record the show, I would like to be able to put the show on my computer and make a CD of it for myself. I was considering buying a MD recorder, perhaps the Sony MZ-N10, and using maybe just a lapel mic or something. Since I wont be using this device to record many shows, I would like to purchase something that will also be useful to me everyday, such as listening to music while in the gym or jogging. I know this equipment isnt as fancy and high tech as what you all use, but I really dont think I need much else- or do I? Please, any help here is very much appreciated! Marie

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
Re:Extremely new and need help with MD
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2003, 09:19:42 AM »
what band are you going to see?  do you anticipate there being other tapers there?  if so, you would be better served patching out of someone who has a full rig, this way you'll get a better recording of the show than a lapel mic can provide.  go to the show with fresh batteries in your deck, and an extra set, a mini> mini stereo cord, an rca>mini cord, enough media to cover the show, and a flashlight.  put two seconds of recorded silence on the discs to make for faster disc flips. approach the taper well before the show and ask for a patch.  learn to run your deck in the dark.  have fun and give us a report.  take a digital camera and post some photos.

welcome, have fun.  +T

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 09:20:16 AM »
I think what you are going to want to do, if you are sure you aren't going to be taping much, is to get a model of the MD recorder that has a mic input, and then get a mic that is 'electret' - I see them on ebay all the time...

HTH,
AP
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline marie429

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I know all about virtuosos & trembalos & arpeggios
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 03:09:40 PM »
I am going to the Nickel Creek concert on the 11th in Kent Oh. I dunno if any other tapers will be there, as this is my 1st time seeing NC. Even if I KNEW there would be tapers there, I still wouldnt know how to do what you said! Either way, thus far my plan is to buy a Sony MZ-N10 and a mic, maybe the Sony ECM-DS70P Electret Condenser Stereo Microphone. Are these good choices for what I am tryig to do? Besides batteries and media, am I missing anything? Thanks for your responses, they have been really helpful!  :guitarist:

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 03:51:20 PM »
you might wanna look into a battery box. cause the sony's mic preamp will distort..  that way you have better chances of a better sound quality.  I'm catchin nickel creek on sunday in iowa city i think. no tickets yet, but oh well. more tapers are hitting them now, since they are taper friendly.  Who knows if there is gonna be a taper with a full rig there, but i don't know if i'd chance it..  good luck.  Also check this forum about adjusting sony's levels on the fly  http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14;action=display;threadid=8635
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2003, 02:21:59 AM »
I am going to the Nickel Creek concert on the 11th in Kent Oh. I dunno if any other tapers will be there, as this is my 1st time seeing NC. Even if I KNEW there would be tapers there, I still wouldnt know how to do what you said! Either way, thus far my plan is to buy a Sony MZ-N10 and a mic, maybe the Sony ECM-DS70P Electret Condenser Stereo Microphone. Are these good choices for what I am tryig to do? Besides batteries and media, am I missing anything? Thanks for your responses, they have been really helpful!  :guitarist:

if you are going that route, "upgrade" to the ECM-MS907, it will be worth your time and effort, and it's only a little bit more

taperkat

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2003, 08:25:37 AM »
the ms907 is an infinitely better mic than the 70p. the 70p will be a complete waste of your money.

with that being said just drop $200 on a brbox and sp-bmc mics from sound pros and you'll never need anything else.

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2003, 11:38:33 AM »
I've always heard that the Sharp MD's are the way to go (since you can adjust the levels on the fly).

Ditto on the Sound Professionals recommendation. Give them a call....Chris will gladly talk you through the options.

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/

Scott (who has no affiliation with Sound Professionals)

PS - What the hell does "+T" mean???
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com