Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Wavelab Post Production Q?  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Sterling

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Wavelab Post Production Q?
« on: November 11, 2003, 03:34:17 PM »
What do you some of you guys "do" to the recording in post with wavelab? For example, run the declicker, denoiser, peak master ect? I'm just trying to get a feel for what would really get these recordings to shine. So far I like the product of those mentioned above except for the denoiser (i don't even know if it has that  ;)) Any help is great...rock on!

Sterling  :afro:

PS- if anyone knows "Thomas" from the Oade board that offered up a DMIC and some other stuff about month ago let him know I still want it....he's MIA  :-\) Peace

Offline mfh2014

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Rock
    • bigherm
Re:Wavelab Post Production Q?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 03:46:01 PM »
I ususally do some EQ work to clean up the low end of my Oktavas..especially in boomy venues...also, for car listening ill do a quick normalize to get the levels loud enough...just trust your ears and mess around until you find something that sounds better TO YOU...any post work you do is totally dependent on what system you will be listening back on....so keep that in mind...

hope this helps...

matt

Offline crunchy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My List
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2003, 03:49:40 PM »
if I need to normalize it I will. But thats about it.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2003, 03:54:36 PM »
I'm just trying to get a feel for what would really get these recordings to shine.

Best way to get your recordings to shine:

[1]  set up in a great location
[2]  run your levels appropriately - peaking near 0 so you use the full resolution available
[3]  select a mic pattern / config appropriate to the venue and band

I almost never do any post production other than fade in/out.  Occasionally I'll compress and raise levels for shows with a large dynamic range and who I'm sending to people without really good playback gear.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2003, 03:56:18 PM »
I've never done post production work on my tapes. I don't understand why so many people are so obsessed with "mastering" their tapes!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline mfh2014

• Taperssection Regular
  • Rock
    • bigherm
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 03:59:17 PM »
I agree 100% with Brian...if you have a bad sounding tape because of the venue or mic placement, there is not that much that can be done....but if you have a decent tape, i find that by just doing a little bit of work you can make a huge difference for playback on shitty systems...car, discman, boombox, etc...just my $.02

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 03:59:54 PM »
Well I guess its personal preference, but I figure if I have the technology and the means...why not. Of course I'm really not much of a purest anyway  ;). Peace Love and the Beatles!
Sterling
 :afro:

cpclark

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2003, 04:13:34 PM »
I'm just trying to get a feel for what would really get these recordings to shine.

[2]  run your levels appropriately - peaking near 0 so you use the full resolution available

I almost never do any post production other than fade in/out.  Occasionally I'll compress and raise levels for shows with a large dynamic range and who I'm sending to people without really good playback gear.

totally agree with brian here, if the tape didnt come out good from the venue you were in, there isnt much you can do in post. most of the time the best tape is the one that has utilized full resolution on location, hope this helps
-chris

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2003, 04:20:36 PM »
The "Q" function in WaveLab is useful for listening afterwords.  You can clean up the low/mid/highs quite easily.  It allows for the bell/shelf curves to be designed by you for optimal results depending on how sharp or flat of a curve you want.  
I have found it to be quite useful (ie: recognizing that Cervante's had a serious amount of levels at the 100Hz mark on Josh's Oktava's and my Schoeps...what their soundman doesn't know).
I don't save the settings for the actual files since everyone's playback and ears are different.  What may sound good for you may not sound good to some one else.

Have fun with it though!  That program will let you do most anything!

Phil
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 04:32:54 PM »
What do you some of you guys "do" to the recording in post with wavelab? For example, run the declicker, denoiser, peak master ect? I'm just trying to get a feel for what would really get these recordings to shine. So far I like the product of those mentioned above except for the denoiser (i don't even know if it has that  ;)) Any help is great...rock on!

Sterling  :afro:

PS- if anyone knows "Thomas" from the Oade board that offered up a DMIC and some other stuff about month ago let him know I still want it....he's MIA  :-\) Peace

For some of my tapes with crappier gear, I will use the VST Waves Plugin called 'L1 Ultramaximizer +'  - using the 'heavy limiting' preset.  Apparently it is a multiband compressor, and exciter.  But, it takes my recordings and makes them sounds pretty hot...

but compression can also bring out things that are better off hidden, so watch out!

~AP
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2003, 05:02:44 PM »
i use the global analysis error tool. Go to process > global analysis > errors tab. change setting as you wish and it will spot some errors for you. not sure if it will catch digi spots but it will catch dropouts and major errors.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline Brian

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2003, 06:10:30 PM »

Tim wrote:
"I've never done post production work on my tapes. I don't understand why so many people are so obsessed with "mastering" their tapes!"

because not all of us have the sick gear and knowledge of venues like you guys have. I run oktavas > w-mod UA5 and EQ almost every show i do. For some reason no matter where i usually tape or waht configuration these octavas got sloppy base. So in order to make my tapes sound better, which I think is fair if you have the time and desire to do so, I do some post show editing work on it. We master our tapes because we want it to sound as the BEST it can get with the gear WE have to OUR ears.

:twocents:
Brian

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2003, 06:19:39 PM »
I haven't always had "sick gear"... I never eq'd my 391 tapes either.

fair point though Brian... not trying to be a gear snob at all!!!!

+T
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2003, 06:33:27 PM »
oh i know. wasn't trying to imply that.

the other real reason i do it is because i'm an audio production major and doing that kind of stuff is fun.

now if i could just have a sweet playback system....

Offline Sterling

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2003, 09:25:19 PM »
Thanks guys...I can't wait to +T people  :D. But anyway its grat advice so thanks
Sterling

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com