Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V2 Headroom  (Read 2994 times)

cpclark

• Trade Count: (0)
V2 Headroom
« on: November 14, 2003, 04:15:53 PM »
alright guys, used the v2 last night for the first time, just wondering how many decibels of headroom there are when hitting the +16db redlight on the level meters, and if the v2 is similar to the mp2 and have pre's that are very hard to clip when hitting that +16 db level, all thanks and appreciation  for your help in advance
-chris
p.s.-i'd really love to know before tomorrow's umphrey's concert as i really need to know how far the v2 can be pushed because i like to push the limits on levels as i believe that gets the best tape in the end
-chris

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:V2 Headroom
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 04:21:55 PM »
no need to push the v2... crank the shit out of that ad500e....

but the V2 clips at +26 so you have 10dbs of headroom when those lights hit. But here's a warning from the sonicsense sight...

"Remember, however, that the V2 trim controls only affect the output of the unit and that the front panel meter are responding to the input gain. Thus, for each db of trim that you introduce, you are compromising the overall headroom (i.e. the 10db that you would typically have if the trim pots were all the way open to zero)."
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

cpclark

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 04:33:08 PM »
cool, thanks tim, my mics put out a pretty hot signal, i had some good experience with my mp-2 at close proximity to the PA, i can get the vu meters pusing all the way across the scale, so the v2 has to be used at low gain, like last night all i could do was 15db of gain, no trim, and the green lights(-14db) were on the whole time with the red light coming on every so often, and the ad500e at about 3/4 of possible gain, but it al came out well and was very pleased with this combo, so thanks and +T for the info tim

Offline Tim

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 06:13:30 PM »
no sweat...

search the Oade archives, there's tons of info out there on why you should run your preamp low and a/d high...

that's a sweet sounding setup!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 10:10:42 PM »
V2 can be run hot or low, sounds just as good either way. If you are using an sbm-1 its best to run the V2 to the point so you are 5 or over on the sbm-1. With the mini-me or other back end a/d you can run the V2 hot or not, depends on what kind of sound you want.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 12:35:03 PM »
How you like the sound of that V2 withthe AT's?
-Jim

cpclark

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 02:21:27 PM »
How you like the sound of that V2 withthe AT's?
-Jim

couldnt be happier, crystal clear, not as much bass as the mp-2, but the ad500e makes up for, tweaks the sound just enough, i love this combo and i think you will be satisfied with the 4051 -> v3 combo for sure

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 04:02:38 PM »
Excellent!!!
Just waiting for insurance to get off their arses with replacing my stuff and getting cash...
-Jim

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com