Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: XLR as "High" Amperage Connectors  (Read 12029 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
XLR as "High" Amperage Connectors
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:32:33 AM »
I'm hooking up a dc power supply to a dc motor controller, and DC motor, and I'm curious as to how much amperage an XLR can take?

The power supply is 24v 10amp DC
The motor draws 92 watts

The motor isn't that large, and, will be mostly providing perpetual motion to a turntable platter. The platter is heavy, so, there will be sort of a flywheel effect, limiting the heavy draw of the motor. The only really heavy load part is on start up, and I typically give the platter a spin prior to turning on the deck, limting the start up torque.

bottom line - though the amperage appears "large", the typical load won't be that great.

If not XLR's,... what are the options for DC connectors that can be panel mounted?

thanks!

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
Re: XLR as "High" Amperage Connectors
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:41:34 AM »
Have you thought about Speakon Mike? They're a little larger, but have much heaver conductors.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

runonce

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 09:50:27 AM »
I've noticed many of the motorized scooters made for elderly/hadicap folks have XLRs on the battery charger connection. (although I guess thats not "high" amp)

mfrench

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 11:17:54 AM »
thanks all!

I'm in a bit of an odd fix with this one, in that, it has a requirement of 8 leads to connect to the motor (five sensor leads, and three DC phase load leads)
So I was thinking about a couple of multiple pin XLR connectors.
One would need to be a five wire lead - the other a three wire lead.
The five wire lead is sensors and low voltage/amp powering to the sensors (5v).
The three wire would be the motor load phases, and need to be a bit heavier gauge.
So I was thinking about using a five wire xlr and a four wire XLR pairing, for two separate XLR inputs. The four wire would be so that a mic cable could not be plugged in.
I'd have the connectors panel be mounted within the turntable plinth, so that you can only access them with concentrated effort and intention, to prevent accidental hookups, as well as marking them well.

I'm open for suggestions for a nice connectors arrangement.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 11:53:48 AM »
My suggestion is ask a friendly electrician who works on machinery.  They have their standards.

Amphenol has a ton of different connectors.  I'm sure they have an 8 pin connector for your needs.
Same with those white "molex" connectors, like the ones from a PC power supply to motherboard.
I just threw out my digi-key catalog while cleaning up my desk, but I'm sure they had a ton of options.

If you use 2 connectors, just make sure they aren't accidentally interchangable.  Like you said, a 3pin and a 5 pin.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

mfrench

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 05:04:07 PM »
I really like the Neutrik speakon/powercon concept. I'm definitely going to investigate that further.
thanks guys!

kirk97132

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »
If this is something that will be required to pass an electrical inspection you might be forced to use connectors that meet electrical code where it is to be used.  Most electrical codes have a required NEMA designated connector. 

mfrench

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »
Thanks, Kirk. I appreciate the input.

I've looked on their website, the motor/controller manufacturers site, and all they have are connectors that look like heavier duty ribbon cable connectors, quick connect strips; and no panel mounts.
As far as passing inspection - its a DIY renovation of a nearly 60 year old turntable (how old do electronics need to be to be antique?). There will be no inspections.

At any rate,... I've poured ridiculous hours into trying to make the original motor function properly, and running to speed, and have grown quite attached to the table (love/hate thing at this point). I've gotten it to run, without seizing
I won't be selling this deck. If this effort fails, i might sell it. If it works, it ain't going anywhere.
I'm comfortable with the amperage rating of the neutrik connectors, and the sensor (xlr) voltage is only 5 volts and a microamp draw.
The neutrik stuff has a quality panel mount, and is quite affordable.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 12:51:26 PM »
Just curious-does it play 78 rpm records?

mfrench

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 02:20:31 PM »
Just curious-does it play 78 rpm records?

Its from an era when 78 was the most prevalent format. The micro-groove 45 and 33.3rpm monaural LP were just emerging.
Yes, it does 78
The Presto company pretty much folded around 1955, and this was a model from a couple of years prior to them folding; so its an early to mid 50's vintage TT.

this is a fairly long running thread regarding my restoration (first effort); and now, renovation efforts:
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=1087.0

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 02:22:04 PM »
What about an electrical connector for a trailer hitch?
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

mfrench

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 10:28:18 AM »
The trailer hitch connector idea was very interesting. thanks! I looked into it quite a bit.
The thing that keeps it from being more practical in this application is its size. I can get the neutrik speakon in right angle, and its smaller. Its also less $$

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 03:20:20 PM »
I was talking with a friend of mine about being able to mount an amp directly to my sub box and move it in and out of my car, and he suggest that due to the high current that powers the amp.

The trailer hitch connector idea was very interesting. thanks! I looked into it quite a bit.
The thing that keeps it from being more practical in this application is its size. I can get the neutrik speakon in right angle, and its smaller. Its also less $$
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com