Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AD20-MINI opinions? or other bb/preamp combo suggestions please  (Read 7963 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: AD20-MINI opinions? or other bb/preamp combo suggestions please
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 09:28:45 AM »
that's awesome;  very nice for people who buy lemo DPA's off ebay-  do you have a name of the distributor who did that? +t

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline relaxing

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 11:11:06 AM »

I don't feel like getting microdot connectors put back on just to use the DPA battery box.

I have 4061's that end in Lemo connectors.  When I purchased my DPA batt box from the Canadian distributer here in Toronto, they modded the batt box with some Lemo connector inputs instead of having to attach microdot connectors to the ends of my mics.  Now I can go Lemo in but also still have the microdot inputs to use since they were never disconnected.  So you might want to inquire about possibly modding the box from DPA

do you know what bias voltage the DPA box puts out?  I thought I read on here it's the standard 9V, but it'd be nice to know for sure.
dpa 4061s -> marantz pmd620

Offline Fisherking

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 12:34:27 PM »
The modification done on the AD20 to get plug-in power isn´t very complicated. I think you could easily do it yourself. If you can live with the +17db gain I would get a standard AD20 (used) and mod it myself. That is if the AD20 is what you want.

I am also very intrested in the output voltage on the DPA box.
DPA 4061/SPcmc4->SP SB1/AD20->SonyD100/JB3

Offline Burnt

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 01:20:47 PM »
that's awesome;  very nice for people who buy lemo DPA's off ebay-  do you have a name of the distributor who did that? +t

Ebay is where I bought my 4061's   ;D
I'll need to get back to you on the name of the distributor.
AKG C4000 > P-mod UA-5 > NJB3 (48KHz) > SVU-2
DPA 4061 (x1, hat mounted) > MPS 6010 > P-mod UA-5 >  NJB3 (48KHz)

Looking for another 4061 or even a pair of 406x mics to replace my single.  Please help me stealth in stereo.

Offline relaxing

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2005, 01:59:41 PM »

pfife, how did you rewire your 4061s?  Any tricks?  And they run fine off the SP BB?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 02:33:39 PM »
cut off lemos and solder them to a stereo miniplug.  Each has a + and a sheild.  Miniplug has ring for each +, and a sheild for both.  Only problem is that its very, very small.  Run fine off the sound pros bb.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline peterbilt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 03:06:49 PM »
I do realize that I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to modding chips and such, but has anyone looked into the possibility of disbling the 17db gain of the AD20, and still be able to use the adjustable gain?
Granted, it still wouldn't supply power to mics, but I'm curious if it is possible.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2005, 10:01:19 PM »
I though about selling it and my AT831's and 2 jb2's to fund a higher quality hard disk recorder, I guess if I sell by V3 too I could come close to getting a 722.

Sell it to me at a good price & when I'm not using it you can borrow it.  :)

Offline Govt Mule

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2005, 11:11:47 PM »
Make me an offer.
Water tastes funny when you're far from your home, But it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam.- John Prine

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2005, 07:13:44 PM »
I do realize that I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to modding chips and such, but has anyone looked into the possibility of disbling the 17db gain of the AD20, and still be able to use the adjustable gain?
Granted, it still wouldn't supply power to mics, but I'm curious if it is possible.

this is what i got from Denecke

Hi Raphael,
Unfortunately, there is no way to bypass the pre amp gain.

Best regards,

Charlie

At 11:39 AM 4/3/05 -0400, you wrote:
>hi
>i have a question about the ad-20
>
>is there any way of disbling the gain in the ad-20?
>
>
>
>
>Thanks
>
>Raphael

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2005, 06:19:34 AM »
If you read the DPA website regarding the 4061 mics they say you can use a phantom power source for them even.  I don't know if that would solve the problem and I KNOW I've seen people say NO PHANTOM EVER for the 4061s.  You might want to talk to JK Labs about having a unit built but who the heck knows how long that would take or how much it'd cost.  If someone on the board were very handy electronically and able to get a business loan alot of money could be made producing stealth powering items that tapers need.  A small full blow phantom setup the size of a standard batt box or a batt box with built in a/d + pre...it'd make our lives easier for sure.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline tchoub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2005, 08:14:50 AM »
If you read the DPA website regarding the 4061 mics they say you can use a phantom power source for them even.  I don't know if that would solve the problem and I KNOW I've seen people say NO PHANTOM EVER for the 4061s.  You might want to talk to JK Labs about having a unit built but who the heck knows how long that would take or how much it'd cost.  If someone on the board were very handy electronically and able to get a business loan alot of money could be made producing stealth powering items that tapers need.  A small full blow phantom setup the size of a standard batt box or a batt box with built in a/d + pre...it'd make our lives easier for sure.
regarding the dpa 406x powering options (from the DPA's web site) : "A wide range of connection adapters makes it possible to use the 4061 with close to any professional wireless system available plus 48 V phantom" . So, in my opinion, this means that no direct 48V powering is possible except if you use one of the available adapters.

regarding the small-sized powering/a-d/pre unit that you are looking for, I think that the new Sonosax MINIR2 is going to be your best friend :)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2005, 08:31:30 AM »
One of their boxes allows phantom power to flow though it and filtering it down...  you can't run them on phantom power w/o somehow notching the amount of pwer way down...

besides, if you can get optimum performance from a small battery box, why lug around a phantom power unit if you don't need to?  Unless, of course, you don't have a battery box.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline relaxing

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2005, 10:02:51 AM »
Yeah, I was under the impression their adapters just throttle the 48V down to the usual 9V (although the manual claims they can run down to 3V). 

This has been my philosophy as well in chosing a pre/power box - the resistors in the converters are just dissipating away ~40V, so better to get only what is necessary.

regarding the new 'sax - isn't it a flash recorder?  I went with a jb3 to get away from media costs and tape flips.

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2005, 09:55:26 PM »
When ordering a batt box from sound pros you can select a gain control option, would this add more volume or what?
Really not very evil at all now...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.513 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com