Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 7D vs. 50D  (Read 5004 times)

Offline EScott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
7D vs. 50D
« on: October 11, 2010, 06:49:13 AM »
Anyone have experience with either of these?

I am looking at an upgrade early next year and have been looking @ both.

I do not need the HD video option from the 7D, but do like the higher pixel.

I use my camera recreationally and for concerts. 

I currently have the Rebel 350, but have 2 x L series lenses, the 24 - 70 and 70 - 200 with ISM.

Both are 2.8 aperture and are nice pieces of glass.

Thanks.
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: 7D vs. 50D
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 08:27:28 AM »
7D -  Higher ISO, Higher Megapixels, and HD video..   Perhaps it's more rugged as well...

but...  If you are a recreational/concert photographer, don't care about the HD video and already have fast glass, I'd go the 50D route..  It is my opinion that great images are the result of experience, a good eye, good glass, and luck!  (obviously with the caveat that:  Luck is when preparation meets opportunity)

If budget isnt an issue..  do the 7D..   if it is an issue, the 50D is a no brainer..

Canon Rebel XTI (10mp) with Canon 100m F2

We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

stevetoney

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:12:12 AM »
Since you're recreational and aren't interested in the video features, I'd personally think that that 50D would provide for your needs and save you $500 or more in the process...use the extra $$ to pick up a 580EXII if you don't already own one (the BEST $400 I ever spent on photo gear).  I concur that the fast glass is the first priority and seems like you've got that covered. 

One problem I had when I had my 40D is that that body size on the higher end Canon's are appreciably bigger than the Rebel series.  I found that problematic personally because many of the gigs that I wanted to shoot at wouldn't allow 'pro style' cameras...which as you probably know generally means a digital SLR or in layman terms a camera with a big detachable lens.  I actually found myself jonesing for the fastest ISO Rebel I could find because the body size was alot more compatible with being able to fit it into a largish coat pocket.  Since the Rebel series have high ISO and use the same DIGIC processors of the higher end, I wouldn't have any issues with sticking with the latest in the Rebel series for concert shooting.  Just giving you something to chew on.

(PS:  Back to my comment on flash unit.  I never really felt I needed/wanted a high dollar flash unit for my camera, but that was before I actually owned one.  After I started using it regularly and exploring how to use it, OMG what a difference it can make.  I used mine for everyday photography...I of course never used it at concerts.  Further, after having one of the Canon Speedlites, I don't think I'd ever bother with the lesser models.  Can't say enough good things about the Speedlights.)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:14:58 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:45:16 AM »
I own the 50D and have been very happy with it. I personally wouldn't mind the option for HD video on rare occasions.

One thing to keep in mind is the 60D will be available shortly. It does add HD video, but more important to me is a movable LCD screen on the back. I like this option at shows where I raise the camera over the crowd and shoot that way. With the movable LCD you can point it down and see what your photo will look like.

If found other times where this would come in handy, and with the 50D I just have to point and pray. Not a huge deal for a landscape where I can just keep taking photos until I get it right, but for weird angles during action shots I'm sure that will be nice.

http://www.photoradar.com/news/story/canon-eos-60d-gets-official-specs-price-and-release-date
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 11:47:22 AM »
Thanks for all of the feedback - esp. the info on the 60D.

I will wait until that product hits the market and then try and jump on a 50D if they go to closeout or can pick 1 up from someone looking for an upgrade.

For what it's worth, Canon does not make a lens with ISM - only with IS.

ISM makes the saddle for my triathlon bike and I was talking bikes all weekend with my buddy that was in town  :)

http://www.ismseat.com/

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »
As with audio gear, I think it's important to upgrade photo gear for specific reasons -- not just to have newest-latest-greatest.  Since all the cameras in question are APS-C, the benefits of full-frame aren't at issue.  A few questions:

• Are there particular image characteristics you're not achieving in your current photos that the 7D or 50D will provide (or image characteristics provided by your 350 that you'd like to get ride of)?
  • Are there specific features in the 7D or 50D that will help you achieve better photos or improve usability significantly?
  • Are there shots you're trying to take today, but are missing outright due to the 350 feature set, and that the 7D or 50D will allow you to capture?

If I had both a 24-70 and 70-200, my biggest issue would be the last bullet -- due to APS-C crop factor and/or lens options resulting in a lack of wide angle capability.  Full-frame isn't an option for me (Pentax doesn't currently offer a FF body), and it would be outside of my budget, anyway.  Which leaves lenses.  So for me, in your shoes, I'd probably re-purpose the body budget for glass -- specifically a wide or ultrawide lens.

I don't find the field of view of 24-70 wide enough on APS-C (equivalent to ~39 - 114 FOV in full frame in Canon-land).  I'd pick up something wider in the 12-35 range (I'm unfamiliar with Canon's specific lens offerings).  In Pentax-land, while lately I've been on a HQ-but-inexpensive legacy prime kick, the ultra-wide primes exceed my prime budget, so that probably means a 12-24mm f/4 will join my lens stable in the near future.  $0.02

(On a side, but related, note:  to an even bigger degree than in audio, my biggest obstacle to recording fantastic images isn't the quality of my gear -- it's my own lack of creativity and an untalented, undeveloped mind's eye for composition.  No gear upgrade will fix that problem!)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 11:56:24 AM »
We (my gf & I) want am upgrade she can shoot the Rebel at the same time I am shooting with the new camera.

I will probably end up buying her a fish eye as well so she can play around with it.

The 50D is probably where I am heading. 

The wide angle I want is the Canon L and is $1,500.00.

Our needs will be better served by the addition of a 2nd camera and then possibly the wide angle lens at a later date.

Offline j5brock

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 02:10:26 PM »
I have a 50d, 7d and 5d II - and I no longer use the 50d.. High ISO and autofocus are light years better on the 7d than the 50d.. Using Canon's loyalty program you can get a 7d for about 1100.. As or wide angle - I use the Tokina 11-16 on the crops and a 16-35l on the 5d. I have never used the video on any my camera's - I am completely sold on the 7d's merits as a camera only. I have both those lenses and use them on all of these bodies - that said - I do like the 17-55 IS on the crop more than the 24-70.. and unless you are moving to a full frame - I recommend the Tokina over Canon's 10-22 and certainly over the 16-35 for a crop.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:33:36 PM by j5brock »
DPA4023/DPA4028/MK22/MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > Kindkable > Opti V3/ACM V3/ > Kindkable interconnect / Hi-Ho Silvers > 744t

Canon 5D3 / 7D / 50D / 24-70L II / 16-35L II/ 17-55 2.8 IS / 70-200 2.8 IS II/ 100-400L / 85 1.2L / 50 1.4 / 300 2.8 IS / 11-16 wide / Zeiss 2.8/21

Playback - foobar > m audio transit / denon 1930ci underwood transport mod > Grace M902 >  ATH W 5000

stevetoney

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 03:21:22 PM »
Interesting feedback Jeff, especially regarding your comments on the 7D.  Have you read any reviews on the 60D suggesting that it will have similar autofocus enhancements?

Offline j5brock

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 04:13:58 PM »
The 60D's autofocus is very close to the 50d's - 9 points - spread is a little different. The 7D - 19 points - smokes my 50d and 5d II on autofocus - That said - I use the 2 cameras for different things..  day to day, sports and travel - the 7d... landscape, portrait, shows - the 5d II. I think with the 60d's articulating screen and improvements on video - it was meant as an upgrade to the t2i.. not the 50d.. I really believe the 7d was the move up for the 50d..
DPA4023/DPA4028/MK22/MK41 > KC5 > CMC6xt > Kindkable > Opti V3/ACM V3/ > Kindkable interconnect / Hi-Ho Silvers > 744t

Canon 5D3 / 7D / 50D / 24-70L II / 16-35L II/ 17-55 2.8 IS / 70-200 2.8 IS II/ 100-400L / 85 1.2L / 50 1.4 / 300 2.8 IS / 11-16 wide / Zeiss 2.8/21

Playback - foobar > m audio transit / denon 1930ci underwood transport mod > Grace M902 >  ATH W 5000

stevetoney

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 04:22:19 PM »
Thanks Jeff.   :coolguy:

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 12:10:20 PM »
(On a side, but related, note:  to an even bigger degree than in audio, my biggest obstacle to recording fantastic images isn't the quality of my gear -- it's my own lack of creativity and an untalented, undeveloped mind's eye for composition.  No gear upgrade will fix that problem!)

Everything you said makes perfect sense and this last side note of yours is an outstanding observation.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline aosone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 08:28:16 AM »

If you're looking at the 7D and the 50D, you really ought to look at the 2Ti. It fits somewhere in the middle, just stay away from the kit glass. DPreview is your friend.

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 12:11:17 PM »
Ask this guy.  Bet he'll know the answer.   :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalRevCom#p/u/24/D1tTBncIsm8

Hilarity at 6:30.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:13:50 PM by Mark Burgin™ »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com