Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recommend a camera  (Read 9233 times)

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
recommend a camera
« on: October 23, 2010, 01:12:23 AM »
I am looking for a good point & shoot camera that takes amazing high quality photos with the least amount of grain.

I currently have a sx210.When I take a picture and zoom in just 125%, it looses all details and becomes grainy, lots of noise. I tried everything, lowest ISO etc... i have never been able to take one 'great' photo with this camera. The outcome is either blurry, shaky or full of grain when zoomed in just 2x.

With my older model I could still get lots of details even at 200%. My older model is a DSCW200, took great amazing photos, never had a grain issue and still could see lot of details even when zoomed in to 200%.

I want something small, pocket-size, digital point and shoot. It should not have a detachable lens. I need it specifically for photographs, I could care less if it does video. I would also prefer if it had a good zoom, but that's just a plus.

I am really thinking of getting a DSCHX5VB, any idea if I should get that? Anyone here used DSCHX5VB, it looks promising and has CMOS and also the fact that my older model was a sony and I never had problems with it and gave me great photos.

DSCHX5VB or something else?

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: recommend a camera
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 06:18:38 AM »
I am looking for a good point & shoot camera that takes amazing high quality photos with the least amount of grain.

I currently have a sx210.When I take a picture and zoom in just 125%, it looses all details and becomes grainy, lots of noise. I tried everything, lowest ISO etc... i have never been able to take one 'great' photo with this camera. The outcome is either blurry, shaky or full of grain when zoomed in just 2x.

With my older model I could still get lots of details even at 200%. My older model is a DSCW200, took great amazing photos, never had a grain issue and still could see lot of details even when zoomed in to 200%.

I want something small, pocket-size, digital point and shoot. It should not have a detachable lens. I need it specifically for photographs, I could care less if it does video. I would also prefer if it had a good zoom, but that's just a plus.

I am really thinking of getting a DSCHX5VB, any idea if I should get that? Anyone here used DSCHX5VB, it looks promising and has CMOS and also the fact that my older model was a sony and I never had problems with it and gave me great photos.

DSCHX5VB or something else?

Canon S90 is a great choice. Not a megazoom though (I think its about 3.8x) but has a larger sensor than most point & shoots and is known for great low light performance. Will shoot in raw format and has way more manual setting options than most point and shoots.  Many reviews will turn up if you Google it.

I just E-Bayed a used one and it is waiting for me at my post office to pick up today....
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 06:25:34 AM »
S95 is the updated S90.

Adds Image Stabilization and also does 720p.

Also the Panasonic DMC-LX5. Really good at low light, but I think it's a little larger and more expensive than the S95.

I'm looking for a small concert camera and am between these two.

EDIT: some links for each camera.

S95: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20014079-1.html
LX5: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20011112-1.html

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:37:26 AM by Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 06:50:21 AM »
I just bought a Leica D-Lux 5 and am waiting for it to be delivered.  It is a rebadged Panasonic Lumix LX5, but includes a full version of Adobe Lightroom and a three-year international warranty.  I did a ton of research and it was between the D-Lux 5 / LX5 and the Canon S95.  I really don't think that you can go wrong with either one.  What pushed me over the edge in favor of the Leica was the three-year international warranty, an invaluable asset in my line of work.

If you want low-light photography, the D-Lux 5 has a really fast lens that I expect to do very well in low light situations.  Although it can conceivably take pictures at ISO 12800, they look like crap.  Grain doesn't start creeping in until ISO 400 from the photos that I have seen, which is pretty much par for the course for small point and shoots.

Here is a link to a page that compares the grain of the LX5 and the S95.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_LX5/high_ISO_noise.shtml
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline aosone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 08:22:02 AM »

I've got an HX5 and an S90. Both are excellent, but I'd take the Sony over the Canon. That said, my Canon T2i arrived this week and after I dumped the crappy 18-55mm kit lens and replaced it with the 15-85mm lens, I'm extremely happy.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 05:18:22 AM »
How many MP are you looking for on your result?  Hasselblad has a 60MP camera.  If you don't mind being homeless.

My FH1 does okay 8MP images.  It's low light abilities helps it to have a fast-ish shutter so a lot less blur than any pocket size P&S I've ever had.  But I've never had anything that costs $400 or more before.  And it's still primarily a video camcorder.  Otherwise it sounds like you could use a monopod or tripod to help the blur on your current cam.  A lot of cameras interpolate a larger image from a low resolution sensor.  So consider the sensor specs your maximum (potential) quality photo size on ANY camera IMO.

If quality matters, you probably can't get away from a detachable lens.  And probably not the stock one that cam with the camera.  T2i is a good value.  And other options in that type.  But far from "pocket" sized.  Depending on your waist line and pant type of course.  My sweats could pack away a foot long sub.  My dress slacks, not so much.  Some pants with cargo pockets could pack away a 2 liter of your favorite beverage.  Not that'd you want to do that if you wanted to remain mobile.

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 02:28:46 AM »
I just got the Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS7.  Real nice video and pic IQ.  but I really question the battery life. I bought 4 extra batteries. 
I am wondering how NOT to drain the batteries. I turned off the GPS (  i usually think i know where I am), I am really disappointed about battery life right now.

In fact i got 2, didnt even open the other package.  I was trying to get two cam 2 audio show pull next.

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 01:05:11 PM »
How long in video mode does the battery last?And also what exact memory cards are you guys using succesfully(what GB size)and what are run times in video mode highest quality?

Offline BlackLab

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 02:22:36 PM »
I have no problems w/my ZS3. It does have a big lcd tho
zooming a lot does drain battery more of course

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 02:50:47 PM »
i would recommend minimal zooming, turn sound f/x like beeping off, diming the screen slightly, no flash, auto power off enabled, auto sleep enabled after a very short period of time, maybe not reviewing every photo and yeah, the gps off.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 08:07:33 PM »
I just bought the Sony dsc hx5v and i took some very good pictures with it.Im loving the Sweep Panorama mode.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 12:25:11 AM »
If you're not big into the megapixel thing, canon has a new S95 camera.  1/1.7" CCD 10MP sensor.  Which is a huge sensor and low MP count so good for low light and quality.  Not much on the video side.  But if you don't need much, about as good as it gets on the low end.  For a semi-cheap (~$400 MSRP) pocket P&S camera.

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 06:45:50 PM »
@ aosone-what lenses can be used with the T2i?Is there a f1.4? Have you shot any video with it and if so what did you think of it?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 03:56:52 AM »
@ aosone-what lenses can be used with the T2i?Is there a f1.4? Have you shot any video with it and if so what did you think of it?

Any Canon digital compatible lens will work with the T2i. I'm certain there are several options in the f1.4 range. What focal length are you looking for?

From the reviews I've read the video on the T2i is pretty good.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline aosone

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 08:41:10 AM »

All Canon EF and EF-S lenses can be used with the T2i. Sigma and Tamron have less-pricey options, although they tend to be less sharp.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup

I haven't used the T2i for video yet, but that's in the plans for next year. Most of it will be motorcycle travel related and it's getting cold this year in New England and Atlantic Canada. I've been using a GoPro Hero HD helmet-mounted camera for video this spring and summer.

Here's a clip of the T2i you should see: http://vimeo.com/9736776

And I hope you've seen the Reverie video from the 5D Mkii. If not, you need to. http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/gallery/6042742_wZKiA#377930419_dgxvY-A-LB
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 08:45:45 AM by aosone »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com