Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stereophile article - $60K system using Luminous Audio Cables throughout  (Read 18985 times)

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...

http://www.stereophile.com/content/funk-audio-and-friends

Not an actual product review, just a mention about the use of Luminous Audio Technology cables, but we'll take it.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: Stereophile article - $60K system using Luminous Audio Cables throughout
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
care to provide a sample rca>rca pair for a ABX type comp?

I suspect noone could here could demonstrate that they can hear a difference.

Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline datbrad

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:41:32 PM »

Anyone here that when shopping stereo components typically considers brands like Canary Audio, Conrad-Johnson, Audio Note, Mark Levinson, etc., will tell you cables make a difference. I expect better cables rarely are able to make an inexpensive stereo sound good, however.

Hi-Fi AV Supplies in Brooklyn is our authorized dealer for the City, but they usually only special order. You can give them a call and check, they may use some of our cables in their showroom systems that you can audition. (212)-219-3352
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:57:42 PM »

Anyone here that when shopping stereo components typically considers brands like Canary Audio, Conrad-Johnson, Audio Note, Mark Levinson, etc., will tell you cables make a difference. I expect better cables rarely are able to make an inexpensive stereo sound good, however.

[/quote

So anyone here that typically considers overpriced cables will tell you that cables make a difference. Wow.

While admittedly there are bad cable companies. (Monster, Hosa) once you get into Canare, Belden, Gepco, Mogami levels I doubt if you can find a measurable difference.

Show me spec sheets, show me blind ABX comparisons.

You know, science and engineering.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:47:06 PM »
I have a fancy stereo. Eminant Fidelity loudspeakers, Marantz Monoblocks, Musical Fidelity Dac and headphone amp, akg k701 headphones, etc.

I'm an audiophile who cares about sound quality. If you want to sell people like me cables (and this thread likely belongs in "retail space") you should be willing to demonstrate, through science, that your product sounds better than standard quality cable.

Show me the ABX results.
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 09:17:52 PM »
I edited my post and will only say one thing do your research  before spending money on a cable and ask about a money back guarentee if you are not happy.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:50:33 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 09:42:19 PM »
Bwah-hah-hah-hah !

My 1/4 inch annealed copper tubing filled with internal-damping clam juice speaker cables will out perform anything out there.

Stereophile lost so very much when Julian Hirsch passed.

Please consider that more than one brand of very expensive cables introduces artifacts into otherwise wonderful systems by relying on the skin effect, thus driving the desired audio signal closer to external noise sources on the conductor's outer edge.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:53:47 PM by Sharknado »
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 10:53:20 PM »
Julian Hirsch was Stereo Review.

Perhaps you mean J. Gordon Holt?

now, the passive preamps sound like a good idea for a reasonable price: http://www.luminousaudio.com/axiom2.html
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:56:49 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 12:14:59 AM »

I would have agreed with you 100% and been the first to call bullshit on aftermarket power cables.

Then I tried one and it made a dramatic difference in my system.  I used to have a low level hum/hiss in my system that a power conditioner reduced but could not get rid of.  A friend offered me his Sablon Audio Uber Robusto power cable to try for a week.

It completely removed the hum and hiss to the point that I couldn't even tell my amp was on or off if I wasn't looking at it.  Dead quiet.

So power cables can help in ways you may not have thought of
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:24:57 AM by scb »

Offline datbrad

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 12:44:58 AM »
I'm one of the biggest cynics here, hell I still think Schoeps are over priced... ;)

I am not nearly as qualified as the folks that write up audiophile products, so if you want, check the links I added at the bottom of this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=164818.0

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »
I'll also add this:

A few years ago, I switched speaker cables but said nothing at all to my girlfriend about it (she was at work when I did it so she had no idea).

Within minutes of turning on the stereo, she asked "why does the music sound clearer?"

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 10:53:58 AM »
The question isn't whether you can hear the difference between product a and product b, but why you hear the difference.

1. Power. If a cable has a short, or bad ground it can cause an issue. A new 10 dollar cable will sound much better.

2. Speaker cable. The primary difference with speaker cables is gauge. A 14 gauge cable will sound better than a 20 AWG cable. You get the advantage spending less than $1 a foot.

My basic question is this. "Can you measure any difference between a $500 well built power cable and a $15 well built power cable"

independent double blind testing and bench testing has consistently said no.

The same goes for speaker cable. Given the same gauge speaker cable, can you measure a difference?

All of the reviews listed above use subjective reviews, on sites that sell advertising to the same companies that are selling overpriced gear.

This thread collects many different audio comparisons discussing methodology.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline scb

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
1. Power. If a cable has a short, or bad ground it can cause an issue. A new 10 dollar cable will sound much better.

I tried many "new 10 dollar power cables" that did not get rid of the low level noise in my system.

I never in a million years thought the Sablon cable would be any different. I was wrong. I have no idea why or how, but frankly I don't care. All I know is that it was an obvious improvement that I could have easily measured if I had wanted to by simply putting my microphones in front of the speakers and recording the old hum.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 01:09:19 PM »
Buyer and listener psychological arguments aside, to my way of thinking everyone engaged in cable arguments are usually right, but for the wrong reasons drawing incorrect conclusions.  I'm talking in generalities here, and not specifically about anyone posting in these threads.  No offense meant.

The need for something more exotic than well-constructed cables (power, interconnect, speaker, whatever) with acceptable measurable attributes of resistance, capacitance, inductance, and interference rejection for the intended application is undoubtedly real and differences audible.  However, what that really indicates to me is not some magical, immeasurable quality imparted by what should be a character-less piece of wire doing a simple job of transferring signal, power or both, but either a defect or design failure of the equipment to which it is connected.  It's 2013 and there is no longer any excuse not to get the damn electrical engineering right so that exotic cables won't matter anymore! (except for the important social/psychological/marketing/branding aspects, which will always matter for reasons other than audibility of course)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »
Ideally, the DAC is located within a few inches of the speaker.

The logical conclusion.

[partly related off topic aside]
Why do none of the pro-quality active monitor systems include wireless or even wired ethernet signal routing (at least those more serious than small ipod life-style speakers, outdoor background sound, and surround speakers) when they often are digitally linked via ethernet for control?  Unsynced packet timing?  One can buy a fancy ethernet controlled set of professional monitors and subwoofer which comunicate with each other over ethernet, but all of them I'm aware of lack the ability to distrubute the audio over the same network. They all require either analog routing or a seperate AES/SPDIF cable run to each speaker.  Applies to all the current pro 'digitally linked' active monitor solutions I'm aware of- JBL, Genelec, Dynaudio, what have you.  Cobranet and other large format systems can do it over an ethernet link, why not any of these small sytems?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:12:53 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com