Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MP-2 :: Proper gain settings for recording...db wise...  (Read 7772 times)

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Let's go Pens!
Re: Sound Devices MP-2 :: Proper gain settings for recording...db wise...
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2004, 03:53:17 PM »
since the mp2 is an analog device, 0 dB is not the 0 dBFS that you're thinking of where clipping occurs in the digital domain.

Ahhh...thank you...

I'm under the impression that you want to achieve the highest amount of voltage (without clipping, of course) as early as possible in the signal path...? Shouldn't that be the guiding principle when using this device?

Well yes, but what you have to remember is that the sbm-1 "gain" knob actually acts as an attenuator.  So you want to run that as high as possible, otherwise you will be boosting the gain with the mp-2 only to have it attenuated by the sbm-1.

Is the light above each channels gain knob a clip light...? (on the MP-2)

yes

Dave
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2004, 05:12:53 PM »
didn't i write that and send it to you? :)

I modified it and posted. The source is: mod SB email (MD adaptation). If it was on super double-secret probation, you shoulda told me  :P
Out of the game … for now?

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2004, 03:28:00 PM »
The mp2 has a noise floor?   ;)

There is a manual for the MP-2 in the archives section...

That said, there is a lot of debate over using the limiter on the MP2.  There is basically 2 schools of thought

NEVER use it

Use it Sparingly

The never use it crowd say to either set up so you never see the peak lights (prolly a better idea)  or set it up so they only occasionally come on (why you want to clip I dunno, but not going there)

The use it sparingly crowd (I am one of em) suggest setting your levels so you are as high as you can go without hitting the peak light, then putting the limiter on and enjoying the show.  I personally can't hear the limiter when I use it this way, YMMV.

"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2004, 12:51:59 AM »
the peak limiter rocks however for stealthing...when you cant really pay alot of attention to your gear

Offline Electric Cowgirl

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2004, 01:09:54 PM »
since the mp2 is an analog device, 0 dB is not the 0 dBFS that you're thinking of where clipping occurs in the digital domain.

Ya the zero on the MP2 is not the same as zero on your DAT.  You want to turn that bitch up!! :D  Since it's analog run the levels all the way thru the green lights....what I mean is turn the gain up until you kiss the red, then back it down just a hair.  If the red does a quick flash durning a really loud spot that is OK.  You wont hear it on your tape.  If the red comes on and stays on you are too hot.

Definatly try turning it up.  Another incentive to turn it up-- cool blinky lights ;)
AKG480->w-UA5->fujitsu lifebook

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2004, 04:57:21 PM »

Ya the zero on the MP2 is not the same as zero on your DAT.  You want to turn that bitch up!! :D  Since it's analog run the levels all the way thru the green lights....what I mean is turn the gain up until you kiss the red, then back it down just a hair.  If the red does a quick flash durning a really loud spot that is OK.  You wont hear it on your tape.  If the red comes on and stays on you are too hot.

Definatly try turning it up.  Another incentive to turn it up-- cool blinky lights ;)

an honest question....

if the best preamp is no preamp, then wouldn't logic follow that if a preamp is necessary, then the least amount of gain the better.  Less preamp = less noise?

Offline Jason R

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2004, 04:59:44 PM »
Use the linked limter setting on the MP-2 .  The lights above the gain knobs will come on sorta orange.  Red is clipping....Use that limiter.  Its a nice soft limit that adds some warmth to your recording...  It gets complicated from here describing a limiter, threshhold, and compression  but trust me.  Run that pre hot!!  The limiter should light upfor the snare drum hits  and anything louder  IMHO.  Go with that.  Set the SBM1 or d-8 ..ect on 5 and leave it.  Adjust your levels with the MP-2 and when you want just a little trim back that 5 down to 4 on the SBM1/D-8.  

Check this out:

describing a limiter, threshhold, and compression 
http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Compression/

« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 05:08:28 PM by Jason R »
"I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2004, 05:43:31 PM »

Actually I set it up, then turn the lights off... Battery lasts longer that way.
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.194 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com