Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-10T  (Read 70475 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-10T
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2018, 08:03:33 PM »
Which can only be good news for MixPre users in general, if it expands their user base to help support more future development of the MixPre firmware updates.

This final comment I think is key.  It is peculiar that SD is offering a $99 plugin pack via a firmware flash.  I imagine that this might queue up the idea of creating a very versatile box that has main features but allows the user to pay extra for additional features that meet their specific needs.  In a sense it becomes a personalized high-resolution recorder.   :coolguy:

That's exactly what AETA did with the 4MinX.  It was an interesting way of doing things, but you may recall that the decision caused several people on this board to become apoplectic over a manufacturer purposely crippling a piece of hardware unless more money was paid to unlock all of the channels / features.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline IronFilm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2018, 08:06:17 PM »
Which can only be good news for MixPre users in general, if it expands their user base to help support more future development of the MixPre firmware updates.

This final comment I think is key.  It is peculiar that SD is offering a $99 plugin pack via a firmware flash.  I imagine that this might queue up the idea of creating a very versatile box that has main features but allows the user to pay extra for additional features that meet their specific needs.  In a sense it becomes a personalized high-resolution recorder.   :coolguy:

Is a pity SD is going down the paid firmware upgrade path. I don't think they've ever done this before?

But I suppose 80%+ of future MixPre10T owners won't care about these particular features, so not such a big deal perhaps

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2018, 02:45:21 PM »
I mean, does the podcasting or singer / songwriter crowd really need a recorder with 8 preamps?  It would make more sense to me if they made an alternate version of the MixPre-3 or -6 that can record higher track counts with overdubbing and all of the other stuff they're putting into the 10M, since I can't imagine anyone they're marketing this new unit to using all of those inputs.

This thing is marketed towards musicians - not specifically singer/songwriters or podcasters.

I have used 16 inputs on a drum kit in the studio...

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2018, 06:41:29 PM »
I mean, does the podcasting or singer / songwriter crowd really need a recorder with 8 preamps?  It would make more sense to me if they made an alternate version of the MixPre-3 or -6 that can record higher track counts with overdubbing and all of the other stuff they're putting into the 10M, since I can't imagine anyone they're marketing this new unit to using all of those inputs.

This thing is marketed towards musicians - not specifically singer/songwriters or podcasters.

Agreed, if you have the Mics and the inclination, you can eat up the channels, both live and in the studio.  This sounds kind of like the ultimate portastudio.  It would be interesting to be able to add that feature set to my 788t.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline voltronic

« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2018, 08:38:07 PM »

I've seen lots of mics on a kit, but 16?!?!?  Were you recording Neil Peart?
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline voltronic

« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2018, 08:49:09 PM »

Agreed, if you have the Mics and the inclination, you can eat up the channels, both live and in the studio.  This sounds kind of like the ultimate portastudio.  It would be interesting to be able to add that feature set to my 788t.

Sure, but I can't picture a 10M being used in an actual studio, unless the 10M is your studio.  You may be right about the porta-studio.  That kind of serious setup with larger track counts is exactly where I'd expect to see something more like the 788 or a JoeCo, but that's just what confuses me here.  I would think it would make more sense to simply update / expand the capabilities of the 10T rather than make an intermediate device with fewer features.  For example, linking two or more 10Ts in the same way you can do with the 788 would be a huge feature.

Clearly, Sound Devices' marketing department has good reason to think this is the way to go.  I'll be interested to see how the 10M sells vs the 10T.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2018, 09:18:27 PM »

Not that unusual -
2 room mics
2 overheads
2 kick drum front and back
2 snare top and bottom
1 hi hat
5 toms - 3 on the rack and 2 on the floor
1 inside the kick
1 extra snare

I'll be honest - most good drum tracks are captured using a mix of maybe 5 of those mics but I've set up for this scenario even for scratch tracks.
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline voltronic

« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2018, 09:35:59 PM »

Not that unusual -
2 room mics
2 overheads
2 kick drum front and back
2 snare top and bottom
1 hi hat
5 toms - 3 on the rack and 2 on the floor
1 inside the kick
1 extra snare

I'll be honest - most good drum tracks are captured using a mix of maybe 5 of those mics but I've set up for this scenario even for scratch tracks.

Whew!  Thanks for the breakdown.  I see how that's just giving you every possible mix option, I guess.

No cowbell mic? :laugh:
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline goodcooker

• goes to 11
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2018, 10:39:12 PM »
No cowbell mic? :laugh:

Naw - you just use the piano mic for that  :yack:

Sorry - back to the topic..

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2018, 06:02:58 PM »
Apologizes is this was posted... here is this:

Sound Devices MixPre-10M: First look

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/sound-devices-mixpre-10m-first-look
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline mandodon

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2018, 10:29:43 PM »
Interesting: According to the SOS article, the Musician's Plugin will give the MixPre-6 the capability to record 12 tracks.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2018, 04:55:50 PM »
Interesting: According to the SOS article, the Musician's Plugin will give the MixPre-6 the capability to record 12 tracks.

If you're talking about this paragraph, that would be really exciting if true, but I have to believe that it's not that simple.  Maybe the software upgrade will allow the MixPre-6 to do 12 tracks via overdubbing, but I doubt it will allow the same track count as the 10T/10M in terms of ISO and mix tracks.

Hopefully Paul is hanging around and can give us the full story.

For anyone who has recently invested in a MixPre-6 or 10T, you can stop banging your head on the wall right now! Sound Devices will be releasing a ‘Musician’s Plug-in’ upgrade for both of these models in late April which will add all of the MixPre-10M’s musician-oriented facilities — the 12-track recording and overdubbing capability, the metronome, the cue marks, and the reverb and air effects. The Musician’s Plug-in licence can be purchased directly from Sound Devices for around $99, allowing the user to unlock and activate these features very simply. Obviously, the MixPre-6 has fewer physical mix controls, so there’s a bit more fader-paging involved to control the twelve recording tracks in that model, but the rest of the functionality is exactly the same as the MixPre-10M — which is most impressive.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Paul Isaacs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #177 on: March 13, 2018, 02:27:41 AM »
Yes - the plugin will allow the MP6 to record 12 tracks in overdub mode and 8 tracks (6 ISOS + MIX) in non-overdub mode.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #178 on: March 13, 2018, 06:33:08 AM »
Yes - the plugin will allow the MP6 to record 12 tracks in overdub mode and 8 tracks (6 ISOS + MIX) in non-overdub mode.

Thanks for that clarification, Paul.  Might I suggest you contact SoS to correct their somewhat misleading conclusion about what this plugin will do for the MixPre-6.

My dream feature upgrade for these recorders would be to have the ability to record doubled ISOs of all of the mic inputs plus safety track duplicates, sacrificing both the AUX 1/2 and MIX tracks to keep the total recording track count the same.

I understand that, for example, the MixPre-6 can source any of its 6 recording channels from any input, but I want the ability to do the same with the other two tracks now devoted to the MIX.  I'm not asking for the total recording track count to be increased; just some additional flexibility in deciding if I want the MIX or not, and what those other two tracks can be used for.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #179 on: April 12, 2018, 12:12:12 PM »
Firmware v. 2.10 now out...

https://www.sounddevices.com/support/downloads/mixpres-firmware

Changes introduced in 2.10 include:

New

Remix (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to playback any existing file and create a new LR mix by adjusting its ISO tracks' fader levels and pans. Remix is enabled in the Record menu and is only available in Advanced Mode or Custom Mode with Gain set to Advanced. Remixing requires that the source file include at least one ISO track.
    Re-record LR (-3, -6, -10T only). Ability to record the LR mix during remixing. All metadata from the source file is transferred to the re-recorded 2-ch LR mix poly wav file. A re-recorded file's name is the same as the original source file name but prefixed with the characters 'R_'. Re-recording requires Remix to be enabled and the source file to have at least one ISO track.
    Cue Marks. Support for cue marks to allow jumping directly to points of interest within a wav file. Cue marks can be added during recording or playback and can be deleted, named and moved. Jump directly to a cue mark by selecting it from a file's Cue List and then pressing play. On the 10T, skip from cue to cue using FFWD and REW joystick. Cue marks are embedded in the wav file's metadata and can be read and displayed by compatible computer applications (e.g. Adobe Audition, Reaper.)
    Option to set the USB Audio interface to output only 2 channels in order to increase compatibility with applications that do not support multichannel USB audio. Go to Menu>System>USB Audio and select Stereo Out.
    Additional channel linking options (-6, -10T only). For the MixPre-10T, additional options include 1-3, 1-5, 1-6, 1-7, 1-8, 5-7 and for the MixPre-6, option 1-3 is added.
    Link Type menu (-6, -10T only) providing the ability to choose which parameters are linked when linking three or more channels. Selecting the 'All' option links input type, trim gains, faders, limiters, low cuts, record arms, and delays. Selecting the 'Faders Only' option only links the faders.

Changed

Four button layout is now changed to six button layout in the Channel screens.
    Rendering start and stop points are now determined by the Play In and Stop cues if set. This is ideal for rendering out only a part of a project. (10M only)
    Cue markers are now embedded into rendered WAV files. (10M only)
    Mute now deactivates the input. Previously mute would only mute the input in the headphone monitor.
    Mute is now accessible via the Channel screen.
    10T factory default mode is now set to Advanced instead of Basic.
    Monitor button is now grayed out when Input is set to Off. (10M only)
    The track that is using 'Air' is now displayed in the greyed out button of other tracks. (10M only)

Fixed

Headphone clip indicator was only being displayed when adjusting headphone level
    Some USB keyboard shortcuts were not working (10M only)
    Brief audio burst when soloing a channel (10M only)
    Enabling a track's input monitor would incorrectly enable other tracks' input monitors during record (10M only)
    Transport stability, media performance and UI navigation have been improved
    Timecode Menu and USB Drive Status Error Handling have been improved (10T only)
    Fast Forward and Rewind were not responsive in the Channel screens. (10T and 10M only)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:18:59 PM by sos »
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.115 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com