Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Korg MR-1  (Read 138165 times)

Offline desertsky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Korg MR-1
« Reply #300 on: August 26, 2007, 11:21:08 AM »
I sent a PM to jerrythek at Korg about the issue and included a link to my posting.  Let's see what he finds out from Korg engineers.  Let's hope they already know the cause and working on a fix.   
DPA 4061's, MMA6000 pre, Korg-MR2

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #301 on: August 27, 2007, 06:46:59 AM »
dont get your hopes up.
one person w/a one time bug isn't going to get the wheels turning too vigorously.

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #302 on: August 27, 2007, 12:06:37 PM »
Out of curiosity, what version firmware are you on? I've been bad about staying on top of the firmware updates.. I think I'm still on the 2nd version.
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

Offline desertsky

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #303 on: August 27, 2007, 12:52:29 PM »
I'm using firmware 1.5.1., the one that came out in May.  I don't think they've released a new firmware since then.
DPA 4061's, MMA6000 pre, Korg-MR2

Offline Digital Quality

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #304 on: August 27, 2007, 01:09:53 PM »
Ya - I'm still on 1.5.0. Doesn't really look like big changes from 1.5.0 to 1.5.1 tho.
You are here: http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

rig:         mk41/21>kc5>cmc6>KindKables>v3>Axim x50v,WM6,live2496
playback: Marantz DV7600>Mackie 1202>Mackie HR824

Offline SClassical

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #305 on: September 02, 2007, 12:31:26 PM »
Hi...I got a really nice dongle for the MR-1 so if anyone wants it let me know - picture is here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,90455.0.html

Mics: DPA3552 kit/DPA3521 kit/DPA SMK4081 kit/DPA SMK4060 kit/Schoeps 2X MK21, 2X MK22 and 2X MK4v and 2X Schoeps CCM2S
Mixers/preamps: Sonosax SX-M32/Sonosax SX-M2 LS/Grace Design V3/DPA MMA6000/Millennia HV-32P
Recorders: SD722/PCM-D50/MT2
Playback: Grace m903 - Sennheiser HD650 / Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus 805s

Offline bgalizio

• http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #306 on: September 29, 2007, 09:20:40 AM »
Quick question for you MR-1 users - is there a true, 0dB gain line-in on this unit? There's so much fuss about what setting is or is not "unity gain" on the R-09 that I'm tempted to ditch it!

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #307 on: September 29, 2007, 11:21:30 AM »
Quick question for you MR-1 users - is there a true, 0dB gain line-in on this unit? There's so much fuss about what setting is or is not "unity gain" on the R-09 that I'm tempted to ditch it!

A recent R-09 FAQ post points to Roland service claiming #13 line setting is unity. 

Since MR-1 has specific balanced input maximum rating (+9-to- +12 dBu ? can't remember for sure) specification, simply setting your preamplifier to that maximum output allows the deck to be set accordingly at ~0 dB gain.  Then reading full scale deck VU suggests input gain is at or near unity, or so I would think. 

Most any external preamp used,  should be clearly specified for having a maximum output dBu level, and often is close to the (+9 to +12 dB ?) maximum of the MR-1 balanced input spec.  If this is so, using the preamp's VU or clip overload indication to verify the deck's VU reading is same suggests having deck's near unity gain setting about right.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #308 on: September 30, 2007, 12:03:23 AM »
A recent R-09 FAQ post points to Roland service claiming #13 line setting is unity. 

Not trying to be a wise ass, but how is this related to the Korg MR-1?

Wouldn't all recording devices be set differently for volume setting, since they would all be designed differently?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #309 on: September 30, 2007, 04:56:41 AM »

Not trying to be a wise ass, but how is this related to the Korg MR-1?

Wouldn't all recording devices be set differently for volume setting, since they would all be designed differently?

Yes, preamp models have different output ability, but usually not that different. 

Your preamp has a MAXIMUM output (bal/unbal) specification (look this up to know); typically this is ~+9dbv depending on model.

MR-1 input spec is +9 dBv maximum, so if maximum preamp is near same, then preamp gain setting operating the preamp near maximum VU (or just below showing clip) output INTO (the deck's) LINE WITH MR-1 variable REC level adjustment at 10% to 60% full up setting should put you in the unity deck input operating range.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #310 on: September 30, 2007, 12:30:51 PM »
so, if the attached are my specs, where would I run the MR1 or the R09? (sorry for the bad scans, best I have available)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #311 on: September 30, 2007, 08:56:26 PM »
so, if the attached are my specs, where would I run the MR1 or the R09? (sorry for the bad scans, best I have available)

I reading your pre output specs correctly, suggest setting your preamp with output gain adjusted down ~2-3 steps below where the output clipping light shows overload (your pre spec indicates clip LED at +11 dB, 2 dB above MR-1 max input spec). 

Then adjust MR-1 deck (line input) REC level for having good VU readings. 

This should give optimum preamp/MR-1 settings. 

R-09's setting is ~#8-#10 (likely negative gain region) if preamp is adjusted the same as used for MR-1.

If wanting R-09 at #13 (claimed line input unity setting), then your preamp's gain needs be adjusted downward by a few more steps below that being used with the MR-1, so R-09 set at #13 is getting good VU level with preamp gain adjustment steering the deck's VU levels, or so it would seem. 

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 09:10:13 PM by guysonic »

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #312 on: September 30, 2007, 09:56:35 PM »

I reading your pre output specs correctly, suggest setting your preamp with output gain adjusted down ~2-3 steps below where the output clipping light shows overload (your pre spec indicates clip LED at +11 dB, 2 dB above MR-1 max input spec). 

R-09's setting is ~#8-#10 (likely negative gain region) if preamp is adjusted the same as used for MR-1.

If wanting R-09 at #13 (claimed line input unity setting), then your preamp's gain needs be adjusted downward by a few more steps below that being used with the MR-1, so R-09 set at #13 is getting good VU level with preamp gain adjustment steering the deck's VU levels, or so it would seem.

The only problem, is that the Schoeps Pre-Amp I showed the specs has the following settings:
ON
ON +10db
ON +20db
ON +30db

That kind of screws me on the setting, no?

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
« Reply #313 on: October 01, 2007, 03:25:38 AM »

The only problem, is that the Schoeps Pre-Amp I showed the specs has the following settings:
ON
ON +10db
ON +20db
ON +30db

That kind of screws me on the setting, no?

If those are preamp gain settings, then find the setting that makes preamp's clip indicator work on loudest sounds, choosing one gain setting less as the way to go for best preamp+ headroom performance.

That is if your deck can take the resulting line level without overload, and if not, consider needing a passive attenuation pad between pre and deck input so both work in their uncompromising 'cruising' modes.

The idea is to operate the preamp on signal peaks to be within 5-12 dB of it's maximum output ability, and the deck getting near its maximum input ability on those peaks. 

This is the ideal, but not ABSOLUTELY necessary to be exact, just try to get as close to the ideal as is practical. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 03:34:54 AM by guysonic »

Offline bgalizio

• http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #314 on: October 01, 2007, 12:26:28 PM »
Jerry says my AERCO MP-2 clips at +24dBM:
The AERCO clips at about +24 dBM which in the special case of a standard (600
Ohm) load is the same as dBv. Since the preamp can drive a 600 ohm load with
~0 loss of signal (low output impedance), the dBU (unloaded output)
is the same.

So as long as I don't go over +6dBV into the Korg, I won't have brickwalling problems, right?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 01:40:31 PM by bgalizio »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com