Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Preamp pairing with AKG 461's and 463's  (Read 20634 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Preamp pairing with AKG 461's and 463's
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2017, 05:02:23 PM »
Neat idea, I've long contemplated a system where the end user got to mix their own recordings or could pick from mixes from famous engineers and producers?!

In your system the WAVs could be compressed losslessly, so they don't quite have to be full size.  However, you'll still have to have one such file for each track in the original, thus approximately doubling file size for two-tracks, or any number of tracks!

By coincidence  :shrug:  this is about the same amount of space that it would require to record at double the sample rate, but this gives us so much more value than the vaunted 22,000-44,000 Hz range!?!   :wink2:

OT-

Along those lines I've dreamed of an alternative universe where its easy to save/distribute the raw unedited recording along with a companion configuration file.
(SNIP away a whole bunch of your awesome idea for my response)

But even that problem easily avoided by including a WAV in the configuration file which is the same length as the raw source file and contains all those changes in differential form
[/dream]
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2017, 11:39:14 PM »
"IF" everyone used the same software, it might be possible. The effort to write plugins for different configurations would probably need NASA's budget though, assuming that would be enough.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2017, 09:21:01 AM »
"IF" everyone used the same software, it might be possible. The effort to write plugins for different configurations would probably need NASA's budget though, assuming that would be enough.

Nah, the whole point of using a differential file or impulse response correction filter is the avoidance of that problem.   The method Jon just outlined achieves the lion's share of it in a lightweight way with minimal excess file size burden.  That's basically a front end equivalent to what room correction routines are currently doing on on the back end, except in this case the correction filters are specific to each audio file and would be stored and retrieved along with them, instead of being specific to the playback room and stored in the correction device. 

The differential sum method I proposed above requires more storage overhead as it doubles the file size for each different correction file, although I suspect the differential correction file might be able to have a bit depth of less than the target file, correlated with the depth of correction being done.  That approach would include the ability to manage dynamics though, important for adapting to various target listening uses for commercially mastered material.  Loudness war inverted.  But even more important for application to our raw amateur live concert recordings which have no dynamic management applied yet.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2017, 06:44:29 PM »
I guess I am just not understanding the process of something like that.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2017, 08:44:20 AM »
Let's break this OT conversation out to another thread.  I'll do that and link it here..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2017, 12:10:46 PM »
Yeah, that's what I realized upon thinking about it more.  Bundling a differential file would effectively take the same storage space as including a new edited mix along with the original raw file.  Other angles though, and it's an interesting enough topic to continue elsewhere.  I may not get to that today though..

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2017, 02:33:28 PM »

Regardless if you want to do that kind of thing on a regular basis or not, if at all (I already hear the counter argument- "I don't want to have to do any of that stuff to my recordings"), that kind of knowledge provides a deeper awareness of the nuts and bolts of how sound and hearing works, what can and cannot be manipulated easily, and dispels much of the mystery surrounding the "sound of gear itself".  I may not choose to not invest the time to do that kind of stuff on a particular recording, but I have a better idea of what I can do, how much effort it takes, and can make an informed decision on what is appropriate.. and I won't hesitate to EQ it.

This is good to hear, because I have had an internal battle going on regarding EQ.  Though most show details don't include the term "EQ" in their processing comments, I always figure they do some sort of EQ before posting.  So, I wondered, do they leave out the "EQ" intentionally?  If so, is it because its not considered appropriate to mess with the captured recording by introducing your own personal tweeks to the sound.  Maybe that is a carryover from the arrogant few with higher quality (expensive) gear, allowing them to maintain their taping dominance over the recording peasants.  Just kidding, obviously no one does that...

I have spent lots of time on trial periods of various software working the EQ and other processing features.  Without any formal training or experience, I have slowely learned a few things.  The first was to NOT post my show after the initial processing attempt.  I found that I grossly overprocessed my recordings.  Returning later to revise the recordings has allowed me pull back some of the processing input.  But, as we all know, the learning curve takes a shit ton of time!  Its probably this part of the taping addition that puts more strain on our outside relationships (women, work, sleep) than the actual concerts themselves.  So, to end this I will say the I am glad to get some support in the notion of investing time and energy into the post processing.  It would be MOST EXCELLENT to see a group of you start to put together a series of short video tutorials of various processing essentials and how they affect the recordings specific to what we do.  Maybe some standards with Audacity, Audition, Izotope, etc.  Just a thougt from someone who seems to be alone on an island in this big ocean of taping.  Except for this forum of course.  LOL

My thoughts on EQ:

I typically only reduce pesky resonant frequencies of the room.  This one group I tape has a notorious boom around the 140-160hz range when they play less than ideal venues.  I start by pulling up a 30 band EQ and try to find the offensive frequency and pull it down just a touch.  Honestly, I might bring down the band(s) adjacent to the main culprit, but for most shows I EQ it is one or two bands that get brought down a few db.  My 2 cents.  I am of the less is better mindset.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »
Less is better.. as long as it is enough.  If not a bit more is better.

Half the challenge is figuring the right amount.. the other half is of what exactly.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2017, 10:19:04 AM »
I haven't been using EQ on files I post for another simple reason:  Each of my playback systems (home stereo, home headphone, office headphone, car stereo, portable earbuds) requires different processing.

I use playback software (Fidelia or Audirvana+) which allows for real time processing from AU (or VST) plugins.

In the car I can do more dynamic range compression, at home I do more EQ, and on headphones I play with M/S and HRTF....

-Noah
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
Re: RE: Preamp pairing with AKG 461's and 463's
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2017, 10:36:42 AM »

Regardless if you want to do that kind of thing on a regular basis or not, if at all (I already hear the counter argument- "I don't want to have to do any of that stuff to my recordings"), that kind of knowledge provides a deeper awareness of the nuts and bolts of how sound and hearing works, what can and cannot be manipulated easily, and dispels much of the mystery surrounding the "sound of gear itself".  I may not choose to not invest the time to do that kind of stuff on a particular recording, but I have a better idea of what I can do, how much effort it takes, and can make an informed decision on what is appropriate.. and I won't hesitate to EQ it.

This is good to hear, because I have had an internal battle going on regarding EQ.  Though most show details don't include the term "EQ" in their processing comments, I always figure they do some sort of EQ before posting.  So, I wondered, do they leave out the "EQ" intentionally?  If so, is it because its not considered appropriate to mess with the captured recording by introducing your own personal tweeks to the sound.  Maybe that is a carryover from the arrogant few with higher quality (expensive) gear, allowing them to maintain their taping dominance over the recording peasants.  Just kidding, obviously no one does that...

I have spent lots of time on trial periods of various software working the EQ and other processing features.  Without any formal training or experience, I have slowely learned a few things.  The first was to NOT post my show after the initial processing attempt.  I found that I grossly overprocessed my recordings.  Returning later to revise the recordings has allowed me pull back some of the processing input.  But, as we all know, the learning curve takes a shit ton of time!  Its probably this part of the taping addition that puts more strain on our outside relationships (women, work, sleep) than the actual concerts themselves.  So, to end this I will say the I am glad to get some support in the notion of investing time and energy into the post processing.  It would be MOST EXCELLENT to see a group of you start to put together a series of short video tutorials of various processing essentials and how they affect the recordings specific to what we do.  Maybe some standards with Audacity, Audition, Izotope, etc.  Just a thougt from someone who seems to be alone on an island in this big ocean of taping.  Except for this forum of course.  LOL

Every professional recording is EQ'd, compressed, and a number of other things by a trained professional. A large part of why they sound vastly better is that. (Even using the same source material -- I've had my stuff mastered and released... there's a difference when a real mastering engineer works it over).

Recording a PA system from the audience sounds, quite frankly, awful most of the time. It sounds "good" to us because that's what we're used to, but it really isn't good. Without EQ, compression, etc it's even worse. I continue to fall solidly in the camp that the notion of the "pure sound" of a concert compressed through a PA system is a totally hilarious concept. There is no such thing, until a microphone exists that perfectly replicates the human ear and the brain's ability to emphasize, de-emphasize certain sounds. And even if there were such a microphone, I don't know why anybody would want the 'pure sound' of a PA system, particularly one used indoors. Even those who record optimal-quality sounds in a live environment (classical at Carnegie Hall, onstage jazz trio, etc.) use EQ and other tools, I am fairly certain.

That said, it is true that over-EQing stuff, particularly over-cutting bass and over-boosting treble, becomes fatiguing over time and is something you end up being sorry you did if you did it wrong. Once you've done it dozens of times, you get to know what you like and what you'll like 2-3 years from now.

The videos you seek are already out there, on YouTube. I've used several to get better at Audition and Ozone. I still know about 5% of what a trained professional knows, but that 5% has helped a lot.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline grayp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If I was a cactus I wouldn't need so much water
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2017, 10:38:02 PM »
I'm a 480 guy but I agree with the all less is better talk.    I've had them since 98 and have tried a bunch of different things.   
Started with a beyer mv100 which worked but I didn't think was a great fit.   
Some of my favorite tapes were made with no preamp.   480->ps2->modsbm
Traded that for an Oade m148 which I think is wonderful for the AKG sound but these days, i typically just plug right into the 722 and use the internal pre's b/c I don't want to carry the 148 (or fix my batteries)
Akg 480/ck61/ck62/ck63 (a61 swivels if fob)->m148->722

Offline Justy Gyee

• Taperssection Member
    • justys llama
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2017, 12:43:50 PM »
i typically just plug right into the 722 and use the internal pre's b/c I don't want to carry the 148(or fix my batteries)
this is pretty much my story.
i mostly like the 480>v3 sound, but the v3 sits at home most the time due to the extra weight.
if it aint broke, don't fix it

Offline HealthCov Chris

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2017, 06:56:17 PM »
i typically just plug right into the 722 and use the internal pre's b/c I don't want to carry the 148(or fix my batteries)
i mostly like the 480>v3 sound, but the v3 sits at home most the time due to the extra weight.

All you guys talking about your sweet pre's sitting at home due to extra weight kills me!  I can't afford any new additions for the foreseeable future and your stuff is collecting dust.  Oh well.  I guess you must go to big shows and have long walks from the parking lot.  Most of the shows I go to I'm parked right across the street and can run out between songs for a quick nip if necessary.  LOL 
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/insideoutrecording
Mics: AKG ck61/ck63 (nBob actives, Naiant PFA) | AKG 568 | CA-14 omni | Studio Projects B3
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Zoom F3 | Roland R-07
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2017, 12:17:17 AM »
It is not just extra weight. These days, it really is not needed, as the old pre-amps do not add as much to the chain as they used to. That is especially true when you consider that most rigs were just pre>bitbucket before the 722 came out, unless it was a stealth rig.  Now the "bitbuckets" have good enough pre-amps built in that it is simply not practical. That does not even take into consideration recording more than just a stereo track.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »

All you guys talking about your sweet pre's sitting at home due to extra weight kills me!  I can't afford any new additions for the foreseeable future and your stuff is collecting dust.  Oh well.  I guess you must go to big shows and have long walks from the parking lot.  Most of the shows I go to I'm parked right across the street and can run out between songs for a quick nip if necessary.  LOL

Where abouts do you live, Chris?
FREE JERRYFREAK!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com