Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Shotgun Recomemdation  (Read 7463 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
Re: Shotgun Recomemdation
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 07:21:51 PM »
From my research, it sounded like the ME-80 was very reliable, and more than once referred to as being "built like a tank". It sounded a lot like a nak300. That was the main reason I thought I would take a chance.

I have not looked into windscreens yet, but does a blimp make a substantial difference, over a regular windscreen? I have only ever had trouble with the big ass shures, for example, in situations where nothing would likely help.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline mjwin

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 03:40:58 PM »

I have not looked into windscreens yet, but does a blimp make a substantial difference, over a regular windscreen? I have only ever had trouble with the big ass shures, for example, in situations where nothing would likely help.

The blimp does make a big difference, but only if there's sufficient wind that you need it. You will certainy want some kind of protection, even on a still day, but the open cell foam windscreens (like your Shures) could well be fine. 

If you're reasonably competent at DIY stuff, it isn't hard to make something which is functionally pretty much as good as the original Rode blimp, although it will likely be heavier & more awkward to use & maybe rattle around a bit if you're hand holding it .  If you start by rolling a tube of fine wire mesh, the mic can be suspended inside with rubber bands. The critical components are the mic suspension & the fur. Fake fur which you can buy at a fabric store is fine, and your sewing skills don't have to be that good to make it into a loose sock which can be pulled over & secured with a cable tie. It won't look pretty, but it will work.  You can go from there. (That was the basis of my Mk 1 blimp, used with a Rode NT4, way back...)

Because there are so many types & styles of nature recording, I think that we all have to find our own way in by way of experiment in order to discover what it is that we really enjoy doing. There are always challenges, but part of the fun is in overcoming these.

Good luck with your recordings!

Martin

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 06:26:24 PM »
Thanks. I think I will just go with regular foam for now. Unlike other taping events, this can easily be postponed until the wind dies down, if it is bad. I have way too many projects on hold right now to start a new one, making a blimp.   

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 11:56:01 AM »
I am looking for something to record nature sounds, for the most part. I have tried with my KM140s, but I end up with too much background noise; cars, plains, etc. I am hoping a shotgun will reject most of that, as long as I have something specific I can aim at. It is only going to see so much use, so I would like to stay < $200, or so.

For nature recording you really need a Sennheiser MKH series microphone as these are RF condensers and are not affected by the damp like normal AF condensers.

Personally I would go for an MKH 8060 or 8070, but the MKH 60 or 70 are also excellent (and are cheaper s/h).  The older MKH 416 and 816 have a higher self noise and I would avoid these for nature recording where you are often trying to record quiet sounds.

PS - Only just noticed your $200 price.  This is very low and the only gthing really at this price is a s/h Sennheiser MKH 600 or K6/ME60 - these are pre-polarised and you would have to be careful and *do* allow time for them to acclimatised before you press record (as with any AF condenser).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 11:58:48 AM by John Willett »

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 12:06:25 PM »
^ Good advice, but well above the stated <$200 budget.

Consider an electret-based shotgun as an alternate work around if AF condenser dampness is a concern.  Nakamichi CP-4 comes to mind.  Must be others, probably an AKG model? dunno.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 05:59:16 PM »
Well, I will see how the ME-80s work. I did a quick test and all the capsules seem to work, have not listened, just saw a response on the meters. Only one of the K3s seems to work, though. That one might just need a slug in the battery compartment?

I had looked at a MKH-415, but it was T-powered and I would have had to get an adapter. If I find myself in a position to use one more often, I will find a bigger budget.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com