Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Reel To Reel Anyone?

(1/4) > >>

gormenghast:
I came across a Teac A-4300SX reel to reel a few days ago.  Since I was a kid way back when I got my first stereo I always wanted a reel to reel deck.  Just curious if anyone here still plays around with one.  And if so, what deck do you have ( or maybe decks? )?  This one I purchased works pretty well and looks very nice.  Heads look pretty clean to my eyes and nothing seems to be tight or seized by gummy old lubricant.  Next thing I need to do is acquire some tapes and see how this thing does.  Then I'll proceed to service with a new belt, lube, and de-oxit as needed.  Fingers crossed.

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B):
My Dad just offered up his. Not sure of the model. I think it is some sort of Sony, but I could be wrong.

He has a lot of reels to go with it too. Pretty psyched about that. I know one of them is Let It Be.

We're meeting at our cabin this summer and he's going to bring it with him, so I'll have it at the end of the summer. Looking forward to some analog goodness.

I was hoping that tapes were cheap since not a lot of people want them...but looks like a lot of stuff is pretty pricey (Let It Be is going for $75).

mfrench:
there are a whole lot of dedicated r2r heads at www.audiokarma.org  well worth a look.
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?forums/tape.157/

anodyne33:
My Ampex 440 is for sale. Four modules, 1/4" two track head stack with playback head.

EmRR:
Nice 440's! 

I started with a Teac A-3340S 1/4" 4 track machine, made a lot of early band demos on it.  It does well for transfers of many pre-recorded tapes too.  I still have it and a 1/4" 2 track Studer A807 that doesn't see much action anymore, considering parting with it.  Nothing quite like the smell of analog tape and coffee brewing. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version