Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Dealing with pyrotechic spikes from fireworks in a wave file.  (Read 2285 times)

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
Do anyone have any advice for me using Adobe Audition CS6. I'm trying to reduce the intense(infrequent) clipping spikes from 3 recent KISS shows without going through and reducing them individually before I can boost my overall levels. The recording are all really nice sounding, and naturally I would like to share them with the masses. I even have one that will be dubbed with complete footage from the Forum show in LA. I appreciate any and all help. I'm fairly novice at this, but know my way around Audition fairly well.  Thanks in advance.
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Dealing with pyrotechic spikes from fireworks in a wave file.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:55:53 AM »
For starters, check the Readme1st post at the top of the forum for some links to threads on using Compression / Limiter / Volume Envelope.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:18:28 AM »
I recorded all day on the 4th of July so I just did this.  There are probably other tools you could play with, but in my experience you have two basic choices; volume limiter and spike-by-spike.

So, on my recent recordings, the levels of the pops of the fireworks were significantly higher than the prevailing music so it was easy for the software to hone in on the offending sections.  I applied a hard limiter with the peak level being a db or so above the level of the prevailing music and applied a zero or negative amplification level.  It worked like a champ.

If the pops don't spike above the level of the prevailing music, it's alot more problemmatic.  In my experiene, you'll probably need to use the hunt and peck method and minimize each spike is you really want to fix it.  Otherwise, you might try an envelope filter to isolate the frequency of the pops and see if it can find the pops.  Unfortuntately, I haven't had real good luck with this tool on fireworks.  Similarly, I've never had much luck with the click or pop filters on fireworks, though they can work great on diginoise.

Hint:  Whichever method you use, assuming you recorded with a bit of headroom, do it before normalization so that you can still see the spikes in case you need to zoom in and do any manual manipulation.  If you normalize first, it might be harder to find the spikes when you zoom in.

Hint No. 2:  I've found that indoors with pyro or any loud bang, these spikes are alot tougher.  The reverb from the loud noise decays through the room and the pop just isn't short enough.  Outdoors, is much easier.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:28:18 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »

So, on my recent recordings, the levels of the pops of the fireworks were significantly higher than the prevailing music so it was easy for the software to hone in on the offending sections.  I applied a hard limiter with the peak level being a db or so above the level of the prevailing music and applied a zero or negative amplification level.  It worked like a champ.

Hint:  Whichever method you use, assuming you recorded with a bit of headroom, do it before normalization so that you can still see the spikes in case you need to zoom in and do any manual manipulation.  If you normalize first, it might be harder to find the spikes when you zoom in.

Hint No. 2:  I've found that indoors with pyro or any loud bang, these spikes are alot tougher.  The reverb from the loud noise decays through the room and the pop just isn't short enough.  Outdoors, is much easier.

Thank you Tonedeaf!! Absolute perfect solution to my problem. It took about 10 minutes to "treat" each show and now they're ready to share.  I appreciate the advice very much!!

David
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 03:11:02 AM »
Good info Tonedeaf 8) I mainly record amplified music, and when fireworks pop off and get on my recordings, theyre usually at spots where I can easily zoom ALL IN and fix it that way. Its amazing how you can make a LOUD POP go away if its placed just right 8) But man, bluegrass music and the like, that isnt amplified too loudly and a frickin ANT can fart and make a noise on a bluegrass recording. Well, when the clapping/fireworks/pops/whatever are louder than the music or performance youre recording, well, that shit drives me frickin BONKERS :P 8) ;D Im sooooo glad my musical tastes are loud and amplified, for my taping sanity 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com