Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM D100  (Read 5143 times)

Offline ghibliss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sony PCM D100
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:11:30 AM »
Does anyone happen to know what the internal resistance is for the 48 volt phantom power of the Sony PCM D100 recorder using the microphone input?  I need to know this as I am planning on making an adapter for my dpa  4061 microphones which will reduce the 48 volt phantom power to 9 volts using a few resistors, capacitors and a zener diode which is far less expensive than purchasing the dpa DAD 6001 BC for $115.00 each! I have not yet purchased the Sony recorder otherwise I would just measure the resistance myself.  Any help  would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony PCM D100
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 04:36:40 AM »
^ The D100 doesn't have P48; it has a few volts of plug-in power on an 1/8" input.  You can just use a 9 V battery box, such as an MPS6030, with that recorder...

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 04:52:16 AM »
The D100 has 5V of plugin-power. No need for a battery box, dpa 406x should work fine straight in.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 07:53:45 AM »
^ I always forget that the D100 has 5 V plug-in .  Pretty nice feature (but not worth 600-plus euros, at least to me).  I guess all he will need is a Y-cable; I assume he has microdot terminated mics if he was looking at those DPA adapters...

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 01:38:59 PM »
It also has 32gig internal memory, takes regular SDHC cards up to 128, Digi in/out, records in DSD, has independent channel control, and a great back light button that allows you to easily view the screen.  Love mine for 2 channels. 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 02:18:49 PM »
^ I'm not saying it isn't a nice recorder, mind you.  It's just not worth the money for me and my purposes (I never need anywhere near that much memory, don't have a pre to send it a digital signal, think DSD is not worth it, and have matched mics).  I'd just rather have an M10 and 400 euros left over for some other goodies.  Your mileage may vary and whatnot...

Offline ghibliss

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 05:37:43 PM »
Can you please advise where you read that there is 5 volts available at the microphone input?  The Sony website does not provide any information on this at their website specifications page.

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 05:56:52 PM »
Can you please advise where you read that there is 5 volts available at the microphone input?  The Sony website does not provide any information on this at their website specifications page.

Look in the recording gear forum...part 2 of the d100 discussion...On page 8 a guy named Adrian says he measured pip voltage to be over 5v.

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 05:58:38 PM »
^ It says it on the Thomann website (at least in English and Dutch).  I also saw a post where someone measured it (was that you, weroflu?), but I can't recall where.  What tonedeaf said...

Offline ghibliss

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »
I just spoke with dpa microphones tech support in Colorado and they advised that using their model 6001 adapter which converts the microdot connector to XLR that they pass slightly over 8 volts to the microphone when connected to a 48P phantom power source.  My a/d microphone preamplifier also provides 9.0 volts to the microphones, so although you may be able to use the Sony PCM DR100 recorder and power the microphones directly from the mic input you most likely are not getting the proper voltage required to the microphone capsules for optimum performance at higher sound pressure levels. Since dpa verified this information I will continue using my current setup as the Sony recorder will provide no improvement to a digital signal sent to it from a toslink source.

Offline ghibliss

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 01:18:12 PM »
I think my best option to use the Sony PCM D100 with my dpa 4061's is to make a battery box for my microphones and be done with it!  I am planning on using this circuit design which should be adequate for my microphones.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 02:17:42 PM »
I just spoke with dpa microphones tech support in Colorado and they advised that using their model 6001 adapter which converts the microdot connector to XLR that they pass slightly over 8 volts to the microphone when connected to a 48P phantom power source.  My a/d microphone preamplifier also provides 9.0 volts to the microphones, so although you may be able to use the Sony PCM DR100 recorder and power the microphones directly from the mic input you most likely are not getting the proper voltage required to the microphone capsules for optimum performance at higher sound pressure levels. Since dpa verified this information I will continue using my current setup as the Sony recorder will provide no improvement to a digital signal sent to it from a toslink source.

I'm pretty sure that's the voltage Jon used for the PFAs he built for my 4061s.  If you post about this in Team DPA you'll get some good responses on this from others who know much more than I do.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com