Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advice on Running MP-2>Mod SBM-1  (Read 13321 times)

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • recordings
Re:Advice on Running MP-2>Mod SBM-1
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2003, 05:29:02 PM »
last time I taped particle, I was the only one taping AUD, 4 people patched from the board........my copy is the only one curculating.........make us mic tapers proud!
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2003, 03:19:51 PM »
Ummmm, everything?  No song structure, or even songs for that matter.  Flaccid, uninspired "jamming."  Noodling and pyrotechnics instead of thoughtful musical passages.  Lame, pandering crowd exhortations and theme lyrics.  Most importantly, no sense of musical direction whatsoever.

Your comment reminds me of an old 1974 Santana/John McLaughlin recording.  Some heavy duty jazz-rock fusion going on, and McLaughlin is noodling around all over the place, and I mean ALL over the place, seemingly lost in the noodling.  But then, every so often, Santana chimes in with a few choice notes - THE choice notes - as if to say:  "Here, John, these are the notes you're looking for."

I can't help but laugh whenever I go back and listen to that old recording.   :D
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline shmurg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • TAPES FOREVER....
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2003, 01:15:49 AM »
Does running the MP-2 defeat the purpose of the Mod for the SBM-1?  Just asking, my set up was just going to be nak's into a modded sbm-1.  Do I need to put a beyer MV-100pre before to get beter results?

shmurg@yahoo.com

DaryanLenz

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2003, 01:21:58 AM »
NO, running the mp2 lower with the modsbm higher is what most would reccomend for you to do.  The mods are for the analog input stage, so by running analog out of the mp-2 into the analog in of the modsbm, the analog stage is effected and improved.  Running a pre in front of an a/d is a very common practice, as both will effect the sound that you are hearing.  The stock sbm-1 is crap BTW, and I would most certainly reccomend the mods being done if you have one.  That said, this combo was quite common until the v3/mme appeared, and you should be able to find bunches of samples with this lineage on archive or other download portals.  My opinion...a darker tape will be made that should be fairly pleasing to the ears.  What mics BTW?

Daryan

DaryanLenz

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2003, 01:26:07 AM »
Oops, forgot to mention...the beyer mv100 is not one of m y favorite pres and sounds very thin to me.  The mp-2 is transformer based though, so the sound when comparing the two will be very very different.  Both units can be picked up pretty cheaply these days though!

Daryan

Offline shmurg

• Taperssection Regular
  • TAPES FOREVER....
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2003, 02:06:56 AM »
I would be running naks...that change things...they are already a bit higher end in sound.

DaryanLenz

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2003, 02:37:44 AM »
Clarify higher end...meaning an emphasis on the high's?
If so, the mp-2 mioght gfive you better bass response...

Daryan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com