Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ALDs and how to record them  (Read 6636 times)

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: ALDs and how to record them
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 10:38:49 PM »
I was under an impression that some ALD recordings were done with gear owned by the person recording. I guess I don't really know much about the topic.

I am under the impression that most prospective ALD recordists would be planning to try to plug their own recorder into an ALD system borrowed/rented from the provider at the venue, intended for the hearing impaired. If it works, some might consider it worthwhile to invest in their own ALD system.

You can check it out from the venue. But I recommend buying your own receiver(s), they're not expensive.

OP, if you're serious, go check out the venue you're seeing the show at. Go see a basketball game there or something, check out the ALD, see if the system works. Then buy your own receiver and do what you want at the show.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 11:49:00 PM »
I don't know any venue that has ALD to begin with.
I am sure some people confuse an ALD with an IEM too
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 12:11:48 AM »
I don't know any venue that has ALD to begin with.
I am sure some people confuse an ALD with an IEM too

In the United States, since 2010, the Americans with Disabilities Act requires that any public entertainment space using amplified sound must offer Assisted Listening Devices to people with hearing impairments. So if you are in the USA, that means pretty much every place that has amplified concerts or sporting events anywhere near you will offer ALDs or risk being in non-compliance with the ADA.

If you are not in the USA: never mind.

Lastly, I know some professional musicians who need both an IEM and an ALD, even if they don’t realize it yet. (Because they have damaged their hearing)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 12:14:40 AM by relefunt »
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 11:17:28 PM »

In the United States, since 2010, the Americans with Disabilities Act requires that any public entertainment space using amplified sound must offer Assisted Listening Devices to people with hearing impairments. So if you are in the USA, that means pretty much every place that has amplified concerts or sporting events anywhere near you will offer ALDs or risk being in non-compliance with the ADA.

If you are not in the USA: never mind.

Lastly, I know some professional musicians who need both an IEM and an ALD, even if they don’t realize it yet. (Because they have damaged their hearing)

All of this is so true. Great job opportunity for the future, installing, setting up, and maintaining ALD systems! I've been working on live events in various capacities for a while, and only a few times have there been deaf sign interpreters, or an open caption feed. But they are getting more common on large high-profile events.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com