Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Whats the best way to power a Marantz PMD-671 ACM  (Read 24035 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
Re: Whats the best way to power a Marantz PMD-671 ACM
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2007, 11:15:24 AM »
so, can you have both the internal sled and the external battery hooked up to the 671 at the same time?  will it drain the internals first and then switch to the external?  do i need to do any other mods to power the 671 off a 9v dvd battery?  i picked up the adaptaplugs and hooked up my dvd batt and it seemed to work fine...
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline T.J.

• Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2007, 11:50:02 AM »
so, can you have both the internal sled and the external battery hooked up to the 671 at the same time?  will it drain the internals first and then switch to the external?  do i need to do any other mods to power the 671 off a 9v dvd battery?  i picked up the adaptaplugs and hooked up my dvd batt and it seemed to work fine...

I used the walmart battery to power the 671 on my trial run. it is easy with adaptaplug M and B. line up the + to the tip and you are set. i took two batteries and ran both for an hour and 1/2 with no problems (phantom off,24/48, coax in, backlight on occasionally). i'm sure i can get a lot more time, but i didn't want to push it. once the battery drops below a certain voltage, it will die.

i think i read somewhere on these boards that the internals will run first and when they die the externals kick in. but don;t quote me on that b/c i haven't tried.

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
i run with my internal sled filled and also with an external battery hooked up, at the same time.  it will run off the external battery until it dies and then it will switch to the internals SEAMLESSLY.  try it out and plug your 671 into the wall with internals loaded and hit record.  plug in/unplug the wall wart and watch the screen witch from external/internal, then check your recording on playback.  there will be no artifacts.  as far as the 671 is concerned running on an external battery is the same as having it plugged into the wall.  it doesn't care where it gets it's power as long as it gets it without interruption.

one thing i've noticed is that if the batteries are left in the unit, even with the unit off, they still get drained, slowly.  so taking them out when not in use is good practice.

i guess i had it backwards. i want to try this out as soon as i get some internals. better safe than sorry!

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2007, 01:38:57 PM »
how long can the 671 run on 8 powerex 250mAh AA's? 

i ran it on ext power for the first set, then internals for the second, and left them in there without charging...will i have enough juice on the internals for tonight?

(just out of curiosity, of course i'll have the external as backup)
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2007, 02:20:17 PM »
i can usually get at least 3 hours or so on freshly charged 2500mah energizers.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline avmonkey

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • You need "what" in your monitor
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2007, 02:44:03 PM »
So far I have not been able to kill the "BG 10-14-88 Super Long Life Portable DVD Player Battery" after a solid 6 hours of recording (phantom power) and 4 hours of playback, the meter still reads full. I dont even mess around with the rechargable AA's... This battery is pricey, but solid and it fits in the front pocket of my porta brace bag.

Offline avmonkey

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • You need "what" in your monitor
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2007, 10:12:02 AM »
http://www.batterygeek.net/Portable_DVD_Player_Battery_p/10-14-88_batterygeek.htm

124 dollars

like I said, its pricey - but solid, small and weighs only 1.5 pounds. Nice meter and came with about 20 adapters, which one fits perfectly in the 671

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2007, 11:48:41 AM »
fwiw..
i've got parts to make one more battery sled w/the 5800mAh LiONs I have.

Offline sam

• Getting out as much as I can
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2007, 04:29:09 PM »
fwiw..

I'm lovin the one I got. Ran Taj and LosLobos last friday at the state; once again flawless. It is small light and plenty of juice. Someone should think about it.
AKG480/61/63->Audio Magic X-Stream->Marantz ACM671

Offline T.J.

• My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2007, 11:12:36 PM »
i've been running a test tonight with a 671 (no mods) and a V3. here goes for anyone interested:

taping the radio
source: 483 > dogstar XLR's > V3 (phantom on/48/ANSR OFF) > kindkables coax > 671 (phantom off/24/48) > kingston 8 gig card

i'm using two walmart lithium ion batteries (one to power the V3 and one to power the 671). i just hit the 5 hour mark  8)

i started at 6:05 and i have one green and one red bar left on the battery powering the V3. the low battery light has not even blinked yet. the battery powering the 671 still has two green and one red bar left. i'm very happy  ;D

i hope this helps inquiring minds.

edit to say: i left the back light on the 671 just for the hell of it.

edit to say again: everthing made it 6 hours and 5 minutes before the V3 died.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:17:42 AM by T.J. »

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2007, 02:11:07 PM »
fwiw..

I'm lovin the one I got. Ran Taj and LosLobos last friday at the state; once again flawless. It is small light and plenty of juice. Someone should think about it.

have you noticed anything quirky about the charger? i have to keep trying different outlets in my house til the orange charging light stays lit. often, it will stay lit for 30 seconds and then start blinking (not charging).
i have read that manual that came w/ it but, the codes for all the lights says nothing about the orange light blinking. other than that, its been rock solid.

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2007, 05:11:50 PM »
strange...
none of the ones I have do that.  want me to make you a new battery and see if that one works w/that charger?

then, I can send you my charger and we'll swap out.
lets get this fixed for you.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2007, 06:44:40 PM »
strange...
none of the ones I have do that.  want me to make you a new battery and see if that one works w/that charger?

then, I can send you my charger and we'll swap out.
lets get this fixed for you.

im not sure where the fault lies. anyways, it was charging when i left for work. i will see if its blinking when i get home, and i will let you know. like i said, once its stays solid for a minute, its usaully good to go.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2007, 07:10:10 AM »
ok, well...lemme know. 

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2007, 12:52:49 PM »
well, when i got home it was completely charged. so, i am not saying it doesnt work, but i really have to walk around the house trying different outlets til the things stays lit. could be the shitty wiring in my house, but no device has ever been this finicky. gotta tape wsp this weekend, so, ill let you know when i get back how it goes. thanks for your concern.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.143 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com