Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Some more UA-5 questions...  (Read 2397 times)

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Some more UA-5 questions...
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:22:44 AM »
so there seems to be a couple UA-5 questions out there so I'll throw my pretty pointless (and possibly easily researchable) ones into the ring:

First, what kind of output power does it provide without the 48v switch on?  I assume it has to give something as otherwise it'd just be an ADC right?  I ask mainly because this is exactly how I used it tonight.  I assumed it provided some kind of power (I don't know anything about how pres work mind you) but with the 48v button off it wouldn't provide a signal from my CA-14s (yes its weird, shut up).

Second; would a mod (in this instance an Oade Pmod) effect how the D/A conversion worked or sounded?  I ran CA-14 > 9100 > UA5 > H120 (optical) and while its rather unorthodox it sounds fantastic, best pull I've gotten from the particular venue.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Some more UA-5 questions...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 08:21:42 AM »
so there seems to be a couple UA-5 questions out there so I'll throw my pretty pointless (and possibly easily researchable) ones into the ring:

First, what kind of output power does it provide without the 48v switch on?  I assume it has to give something as otherwise it'd just be an ADC right?  I ask mainly because this is exactly how I used it tonight.  I assumed it provided some kind of power (I don't know anything about how pres work mind you) but with the 48v button off it wouldn't provide a signal from my CA-14s (yes its weird, shut up).

Second; would a mod (in this instance an Oade Pmod) effect how the D/A conversion worked or sounded?  I ran CA-14 > 9100 > UA5 > H120 (optical) and while its rather unorthodox it sounds fantastic, best pull I've gotten from the particular venue.

1) no, it really doesn't provide power without the P48, thats it. Either use your 9100 for the CA14s or an adaptor to step down the P48 to standard 9v. Chris Church or Jon at Naiant can probably help.

2) Unlikely, the only ADC stage mods I know of are for the V3. Oade's PMod should have just revamped the analog stage. Did you use the RCA inputs or the XLRs? I can't remember of the mod affects both inputs or just the XLRs.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com